Moto X and T-Mobile - Miracast Data use?

Sunnyful

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the Tronsmart seems to be the one with the least amount of problems reported by the reviewers. That's the one I'm leaning toward. The Netgear just seems to have too many issues and bugs requiring updates, and I don't really want to deal with that. I would think the Moto X would be supported by the Tronsmart, most phones seem to be supported as long as they're running Android 4.2 or better. Unless I see some way better reviews on the Belkin I don't think it's worth twice the price.

Regardless, I'll post how everything works if/when I decide which phone and which adapter to get. Thanks!

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the Tronsmart seems to be the one with the least amount of problems reported by the reviewers.

I know this is a little old, but I have an iPazzport dongle ($21) that works fine as a Miracast device.

The main issue with it is the lack of instructions and it starts up in DLNA mode. You need to have it hook up to use a browser in DNLA to switch modes. That can be tricky to figure out without instructions and when you do finally get it, it is VERY clunky and poor in the browser.

However a closer inspection of the back of the dongle there is a little cutout on the case that is over a switch. Pressing down on the section of case will switch between DLNA and Miracast modes. Once at Miracast, it will hook up just nicely after about 10-seconds.

Not a shill for this dongle, just annoyed that Tronsmart upped their price from $24 to $35. To this cynical old fart it seemed like they did that to match the cost of the Chromecast. I have a Chromcast too, but it only seems to work well with Netflix app. The Youtube app is spotty (mostly will not work) and there is/was no app for Chrome on Android. Have not looked for Chrome apps lately as I am more than happy with the ipazzport Miracast.

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a little old, but I have an iPazzport dongle ($21) that works fine as a Miracast device.

The main issue with it is the lack of instructions and it starts up in DLNA mode. You need to have it hook up to use a browser in DNLA to switch modes. That can be tricky to figure out without instructions and when you do finally get it, it is VERY clunky and poor in the browser.

However a closer inspection of the back of the dongle there is a little cutout on the case that is over a switch. Pressing down on the section of case will switch between DLNA and Miracast modes. Once at Miracast, it will hook up just nicely after about 10-seconds.

Not a shill for this dongle, just annoyed that Tronsmart upped their price from $24 to $35. To this cynical old fart it seemed like they did that to match the cost of the Chromecast. I have a Chromcast too, but it only seems to work well with Netflix app. The Youtube app is spotty (mostly will not work) and there is/was no app for Chrome on Android. Have not looked for Chrome apps lately as I am more than happy with the ipazzport Miracast.

This is a little old but I'm glad your responded. I was going to as well. I've never heard of the iPazzport dongle. It sounds like a good price and you can't really complain about being a pain to set up for the price. You are correct that tronsmart probably raised the price to match chromecast. Lots of the reviews compare it to being a bit better than chromecast too because of the mirroring. I'm jealous that you have as switch for DLNA mode.

I would like a chromecast I really would. But I don't have unlimited internet and I'd rather use my device to cast the content without being connected. That's why miracast works for me. I will say, I don't have a moto x but the tronsmart adapter works for Nexus 7 (2013) and no internet connection is being made. So NO internet is needed for some miracast adapters to work which is good since not everyone has high speed internet or unlimited. My only beef with miracasting is nothing from miracast it's from google play movies. You cannot cast movies or shows that are pinned. You can only stream them and it works the same with chromecast according to google's chromecast page. That's a big letdown. My guess, is something to do with the agreement they have and probably the videos are saved offline in a unique file.

I am also happy with my Miracast Adapter. Playing games isn't really possible unfortunately. But using MX Player, Droid TV Primetime, and Vudu works beautifully. I do like using DLNA mode to show pictures since it takes up the whole screen and allows you to zoom.

One of my earlier obstacles was the Task Bar and Nav buttons showing even with kitkat. Not all developers enabled immersive mode but there is an app I found which solved that problem. I was really nervous about miracast but now I'm not. Whether I get a moto x or something else I know that at least I'll have a way to cast all my content. I was going to get a PTV300 but that was 30 bucks more.

Oh and the tronsmart isn't the easiest to set up I thought it was broken at first since no router info or password showed. I tried it days later and it works fine now but still a bit of a pain and hassle to connect. Once it connects it's golden. But you get what you pay for.

Sunnyful

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the new responses. I've never heard of the iPazzport dongle either, but the price sounds pretty unbeatable. I first bought a Tronsmart T1000 to go with my Moto X, and I could not for the life of me get it to work. Spent hours and hours trying to set it up in different ways, looking up how others had gotten it to work, etc. My phone and the dongle just wouldn't connect, even after putting in the correct ID and password multiple times. Plus (although for the price I guess you can't complain) the instruction booklet and the EZcast app were both terrible to try to navigate. Seriously, you couldn't pay some starving college student fifty bucks to proofread and rewrite it in legible English? Maybe there was something I didn't try that would have made it work, but nothing I tried helped.

Anyway, I then bought the Netgear PTV3000 dongle, and yes, it did cost about $30 more, but it worked the first time, right out of the box. I couldn't update the firmware using my phone, it wouldn't let me upload the previously downloaded firmware file when I got to the "browse" step. I don't know why. But when I tried it without the firmware update, just as it came, it worked perfectly. Connected quickly every time, no stuttering or lag, picture and audio was good. Haven't tried it for games or anything, but streaming video from Youtube and Netflix works great. And I don't have to connect through a terribly designed app. I really like it, works great with my Moto X.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Maybe there was something I didn't try that would have made it work, but nothing I tried helped.

Miracast like Chromecast is in it's early days. I had tried using the iPazzport with the G and 4.3 but it would not connect no matter what, yet my ASUS tablet always connected with no issues. With the X, I didn't try until after 4.4.2 as I had forgotten about it. I had some time to spare one day and saw the option in the Settings so gave it a shot and it worked.

Could just have been the X over the G or 4.3 or 4.4 or 4.4.2. :)

mvsmith

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Daaang I thought Moto X wasn't able to Miracast!!

The moto x can.

@pigyfull:

It's noting with the version number. The Moto X supports miracast and it works easy with the right miracast adapter. The G supports it hardware wise but not software unfortunately. Probably not to rival the moto x, and because it would be forced to use data which not everyone has unlimited. However, rooting, and editing the build prop is away around that ;)

@sunnyful:

I'm glad you got your miracast adapter working and chose the moto x. I would have gotten one but the lenovo thing made me hesitate, and then the Moto X 2 was hinted for summer/fall release. Buying the G for $200 until the moto x 2 comes out was the next best thing. And I love my G. But damn that lack of NFC.

Also I realized with the tronsmart one, you have to disconnect from tronsmart wi-fi and retype the password everytime to get it to work. I got so pissed off when it would work and wouldn't work with my nexus 7 2013. Through trial and error I can now get it to work perfectly each and every time :D

@sunyful

IV McDavis

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I just switched to Tmobile. I'm in a similar situation however, I can get cable internet but choose not to. Tmobile has told me unthrottled 4glte data on cellular. I know what you're talking about. You don't want to use your hotspot data, rather you want to use your cellular data. Although they are the same source, and i've been banging on tmobile about the distinction and how if you advertise unlimited data it should truly be unlimited hotspot included. Overall the internet should be free! It's like a public international library in your home. With all the taxes we pay in America, internet should be free! They have the capability (look into White Spaces) they could stream extremely fast speeds over the old analog television frequencies. This whole data cap, throttling bull**** needs to stop. We over pay for EVERYTHING in this country! What gets to me mostly is seeing uneducated and some educated people laughing at the fact that they pay so much for junk. Haha, look at me I just spent 700 on a cell phone, oh look at me I pay hundreds a month for highspeed internet....etc. We have all been enslaved "legally" and we enjoy it. We work hard to pay everyone elses bills. Unlimited data, should be just that. Ahhh, now back to what's at hand, the only way that I've seen is to use the MHL to HDMI adapter. I will be going out today to purchase a cheap $10 version from walmart to see if it works while useing cellular data rather than hotspot. If it does then great, if not oh well, guess I will be ******** and moaning to these companies until they change their predatory ways. Perhaps, we all stand up against the establishments and demand fair practices, demand affordable living, ahh the pipe dream. It will probably not happen because we all have our faces locked onto the screen while the world around us builds us into prisons.

iAndrey

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Tried Motorola Moto X (1 Gen XT1052, XT1058) and Samsung Galaxy Tab with miracast dongle Netgear PTV3000.
Used it for about a month with the latest firmware for Video, Audio, Photo streaming. So it was working just fine 65% of time. But there were 35% of time when it was hanging up, interrupting video transmission, didn't accept incoming connections.