01-12-2014 11:09 PM
73 123
tools
    alright you and I are definitely not in the same page.. forget about it I was talking about something else and you seem to reply about something else
    I said CM removes features from the phone. Those are the features that get removed: Touchless controls, active notifications, Motorola connect. And thats what the article explains to you
    01-06-2014 11:38 PM
    I said CM removes features from the phone. Those are the features that get removed: Touchless controls, active notifications, Motorola connect. And thats what the article explains to you
    i figured that out.. but i was under the impression that u said Moto X removed feature with latest update(kitkat) so my bad
    01-06-2014 11:45 PM
    People are missing the point about CM or anything like that. This phone's software is optimized heavily for the hardware, it will be fine in two years. I too have worried about the battery though...

With Xposed framework and GravityBox, you can retain all the features that make the X great while getting nearly all of the things the big name ROMs have to offer. Just need root...this isn't a phone that has crappy stock software to begin with, so must of us that like to flash, flash, flash have been kept at bay by the experience the phone offers stock.
    A895 and mech1164 like this.
    01-07-2014 07:58 AM
    Yes. Far more than any device that came before it, including the Nexus 4. For the one and two year mark, I don't foresee any apps that it can't handle, any OS changes that make it obsolete and the way they handled SoC integration, memory usage and data/file storage methods I don't see "bogging down" in such a short time to be a possibility. Granted I'm only 4 months into ownership, but other than flirting with a Nexus 5 a couple of times, I haven't even had my head turned from this yet and I don't see that changing with the Spring 2014 line-up unless HTC does something amazing or Samsung changes course.
    cwbcpa and A895 like this.
    01-07-2014 08:43 AM
    I suspect that most all flagship phones from the last year or so are much more future proof than phones from 2-3 years ago. We seem to be hitting the sweet spot in performance where adding specs only gives minimal gains in useful performance unless you're doing processor heavy type work (i.e. games).

As for the battery, the new Moto line is probably the best choice for non-removable battery phones as far as future proofing. They tend to use less battery than other phones which should help with overall battery life. Even then, if the only problem you have in 2 years is your battery it will almost certainly be cheaper to replace the battery than it will be to buy a new phone. Granted, any phone that has a removable will be even cheaper if it comes to that, but there's no guarantee it will come to that.
    dsw1519 likes this.
    01-07-2014 08:59 AM
    I think the Moto X will fare better than most over the course of the next 2 years. With Google and Motorola working together, things should get better, IMO.
    01-07-2014 09:25 AM
    I don't think any 2013 phone is more futureproof then any other. They're all pretty much on par in any way that's noteworthy. The highest specced phones out right now only have a lead of about 6 months in terms of future upgrades which is negligible enough that it's not a concern. IMO we should be worried about future proofing when 64 bit apps start coming online as a common standard.
    01-07-2014 10:46 AM
    It's a great phone no doubt in today's world, but what about a year from now? Two years from now? Saw a comment about this today and I was curious to know what y'all thought.
    It will be ok to run apps, games most ( not the graphic intensive ones, well anyway) OS updates it may get 1 more but I wouldn't expect much more than that. I wouldn't really call it future proof simply for the internals it has. And by no means am I saying it is a bad device or anything. Just when you compare it to the G2,Note, etc you can see where it lags behind in terms of raw power.
    01-07-2014 11:12 AM
    delete.
    01-07-2014 11:13 AM
    The GPU is the same as phones like the GS4, and since there are fewer pixels on the screen, I find that the games run smoother on the Moto X.
    01-07-2014 11:14 AM
    I suspect that most all flagship phones from the last year or so are much more future proof than phones from 2-3 years ago. We seem to be hitting the sweet spot in performance where adding specs only gives minimal gains in useful performance unless you're doing processor heavy type work (i.e. games).

As for the battery, the new Moto line is probably the best choice for non-removable battery phones as far as future proofing. They tend to use less battery than other phones which should help with overall battery life. Even then, if the only problem you have in 2 years is your battery it will almost certainly be cheaper to replace the battery than it will be to buy a new phone. Granted, any phone that has a removable will be even cheaper if it comes to that, but there's no guarantee it will come to that.
    This^. Phones are topping out as far as the difference specs can make. My one-and-a-half-year-old dual-core Galaxy S3 has basically the same specs as the Moto X or the Motorola Ultra series that came out over a year later. The Galaxy S4 came out a year later with a better processor, yet most reviewers and users say it does not run as smooth as the S3, because the software was not as well optimized for it. Software will make a bigger difference than hardware now and in the foreseeable future. And Motorola seems to be the leader in updates/running the latest software now that Google bought them. They are even getting updates faster than the Nexus 4, I believe.
    johnriii, A895 and TheLibertarian like this.
    01-07-2014 11:15 AM
    this thread is very subjective. it all depends on how you see things. if specs are what floats your boat, then the Moto X is not very "future proof". I have an S4, and as long as the dang thing works until July 2015, I think I can handle not getting each and every update that comes out. as long as it operates as it does now (beautifully) then that's my definition of future proof. I see people still rocking the S2, the HTC Hero and Eris, with no regrets. I couldn't do it, but to each his own. as long as the smartphone is performing the way YOU need it to, then it's future proof. so, to answer the question, I say the Moto X is very future proof, depending on the person.
    01-07-2014 11:23 AM
    I don't think any 2013 phone is more futureproof then any other. They're all pretty much on par in any way that's noteworthy. The highest specced phones out right now only have a lead of about 6 months in terms of future upgrades which is negligible enough that it's not a concern. IMO we should be worried about future proofing when 64 bit apps start coming online as a common standard.
    Yes, all phones are the same when it comes to future-proofing except for Nexus devices. My Galaxy Nexus works just as fast and just as good as Moto X thanks to devs.
    01-07-2014 11:27 AM
    Yes. Far more than any device that came before it, including the Nexus 4. For the one and two year mark, I don't foresee any apps that it can't handle, any OS changes that make it obsolete and the way they handled SoC integration, memory usage and data/file storage methods I don't see "bogging down" in such a short time to be a possibility. Granted I'm only 4 months into ownership, but other than flirting with a Nexus 5 a couple of times, I haven't even had my head turned from this yet and I don't see that changing with the Spring 2014 line-up unless HTC does something amazing or Samsung changes course.
    I agree 100%. I play with other phones and OS's frequently. I have not had any of my previous phone or anything new pull me away for more than a day. I have recommended the Moto X to my non-tech friends over anything else out there. Unfortunately, many still buy into the iPhone or Samsung marketing and can't let go of it. Not that either make bad phones. I just happen to think that the Moto X is the best device out right now for the money.
    01-07-2014 12:08 PM
    What about the new Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, announced at CES.

Sony announces Xperia Z1 compact, a smaller flagship with full-size features

That seems like the type of smaller phone (comparable to Moto X) that has more future proof capability (micro SD, waterproof, faster specs, etc).
    01-07-2014 03:50 PM
    Only a 720p screen?! Welcome to last century, bros.
    ultravisitor and A895 like this.
    01-07-2014 04:02 PM
    Only a 720p screen?! Welcome to last century, bros.
    Good one. I like that as I am a recovering pixel junkie.

I own an S4 and a Moto X....the Moto X wins in every other department than the display quality.
    Moto X's display not being pentile definitely helps its case.

edit: oh and the purple banding on the S4 is terrible on low brightness.
    01-07-2014 04:25 PM
    If you have a missed text, a missed call and an email and your multi-colored LED is blinking, can you touch the LED and see previews of the text and the email and see who called so you can decide which, if any, of those you want to respond to right away and which ones can wait?
    So right now, my phone is slowly blinking the time, the temperature, and a little image of a letter. It doesn't tell me how many unread emails I might have, or who they are from, or even which email account they came in through. And most of the time the screen is blank -- if I even want to know if I have new emails, I either have to wait for it to blink on, or turn on the screen.

My prior phone showed an LED that told me with a light that stayed on whether I had a new email, and the color indicated which acocunt it came in on -- which is actually a lot of information given my email use. True, it didn't give me the time or the temp, but I don't really use either of those.

With both phones (Moto X and Photon) touching the screen gives me info about the nature of the emails, or at least, of othe most recent email. Maybe I touched the screen and pulled down the shade on the photon. It certainly wasn't a lot of effort.

With the LED notification, you have to light up the entire screen in order to get the details of the notification (type of notification, message sender, preview of contents, etc.). Even simply dismissing a notification requires you to turn on the entire screen. Turning on the screen over and over again wastes battery life. You can use an outside app light Light Flow in order to get better notifications, but you still won't get as much as you will with Active Display. Active Display will only light up enough of the screen to give you those details, which is one of the reasons the Moto X gets such good battery life.
    The battery life is certainly an improvement, but I don't think it is much of an improvement over when the old phone was new. Mostly, I think I am benefiting from a newer battery. I still have to plug in the phone at work if I plan to go out in the evening.

It's a fine phone. and I get that active notifications are cooler than a colored LED. For my use, they aren't much of a functional improvement. I am move excited about improvements in handling contacts that have info both from Google and from Facebook (something I had on the Pre, and missed on the Photon.)
    01-07-2014 05:44 PM
    Active Notifications is new, it'll grow as time goes on. And is the green light that was found actually green? or can it be changed with a app? because then there you go.

Motorola has future proofed this phone by heavily optimizing the software with the hardware, and TRIM support. Sure the X2 can improve many ways, but this phone will last. It'll probably last longer then the new 2k octo-core 2ghz from samsung.
    01-07-2014 08:41 PM
    I wouldn't worry... Example : my years old HTC HD2 (LEO-released in 2009!!!) running on almost everything and its a "pensioner" already... The Moto X with its spec will have same fate...
    Well its more about what the hardware allows. Can it do slow motion video? Pedometer? IR sensor? Higher resolution display's nice for screen mirroring (no upscaling of the image on 1080p displays) as Miricast dongles are dropping in price and more TVs are natively supporting it.

A lot of the value was put in the software, and the device was somewhat overspeced on release. Custom roms like CM are bad for phones like these peaches they remove features that prompted you to purchase in the first place.

I think the risk will pay off for most users, and the phone is relatively cheap now, so I don't see a huge issue. The GS3 has held up well, but it was released a bit earlier with spec equivalency with other flagships...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    01-07-2014 08:50 PM
    Active Notifications is new, it'll grow as time goes on. And is the green light that was found actually green? or can it be changed with a app? because then there you go.

Motorola has future proofed this phone by heavily optimizing the software with the hardware, and TRIM support. Sure the X2 can improve many ways, but this phone will last. It'll probably last longer then the new 2k octo-core 2ghz from samsung.
    It will only last longer if the support is there. I think we have reached the point where the specs are fine to keep it running the length of a contract (2 years) just depends on how many updates it will receive and nobody knows once moto releases their new phone this year if the x will suffer the fate of other devices and get put on the back burner since it is no longer their "flagship"
    01-07-2014 09:08 PM
    I think the Moto X is fast enough to do most tasks, it won't suddenly become very slow with new Android version, the main concern is how long Google is going to give out updates for it, which is around 18months for Nexus devices.
    And yes I know someone going to post how great there galaxy S2 is running today, etc.

Posted via Android Central App
    In fact, I just bought a Samsung Infuse 4G, which has S2 body, but only single core 1.2ghz cpu. But it have KitKat roms available otherwise I wouldn't get it.
    01-07-2014 10:34 PM
    It will only last longer if the support is there. I think we have reached the point where the specs are fine to keep it running the length of a contract (2 years) just depends on how many updates it will receive and nobody knows once moto releases their new phone this year if the x will suffer the fate of other devices and get put on the back burner since it is no longer their "flagship"
    Motorola is updating its past 2 flagships also, so I dont think its going to be thrown overboard. Plus Motorola is keeping their devices down unlike say Samsung, so they have more attention able to give.
    01-07-2014 11:10 PM
    Motorola is updating its past 2 flagships also, so I dont think its going to be thrown overboard. Plus Motorola is keeping their devices down unlike say Samsung, so they have more attention able to give.
    No moto is only updating the razr HD/M which is last years model. Not really past 2. I like the direction moto is going, but will be interesting to see if these fast updates continue
    A895 likes this.
    01-07-2014 11:13 PM
    I don't get what's so great about active displays. How is it better than having a multi-colored led to give notifications?
    (
    I hated the LED light,....blink.. blink.. blinking got on my nerves.At nighttime if I woke looked at phone it was like a strobe light blinking away, so I Always disabled it on all my previous phones within hours of having phone with an LED light.But I didnt like the LED light when I was awake either, the LED light is sooo 2009
    I love the active display I always have it active always
    01-08-2014 08:55 AM
73 123