Do you think the Moto X is future proof?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't get what's so great about active displays. How is it better than having a multi-colored led to give notifications?

With the LED notification, you have to light up the entire screen in order to get the details of the notification (type of notification, message sender, preview of contents, etc.). Even simply dismissing a notification requires you to turn on the entire screen. Turning on the screen over and over again wastes battery life. You can use an outside app light Light Flow in order to get better notifications, but you still won't get as much as you will with Active Display. Active Display will only light up enough of the screen to give you those details, which is one of the reasons the Moto X gets such good battery life.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
like what?? tell me one example

Touchless controls, active notifications, Motorola connect

dont know where you look in xda but any thread that starts with [ROM] are ROMs Moto X Android Development - xda-developers

No activity for ROM... u must be kidding me.. check the link there are hundreds of ROM

there are 5 ROMs (your math is off by 95) on 1st page, 2nd page has ROMs are not active anymore and are 1-2 months old (only 3 pages in 5 month too). Out of 5 ROMs on 1st page, 2 are CM based with CM bugs(CM bugs + moto bugs....speaker, camera, youtube bugs), and 3 other ROMs are stock with addition of root and added/removed apps.

Perhaps we have a different vision of what "development" is. For me development is custom kernel with ton of features, custom screen colors, battery improvements, camera mods/tweaks, ability to run latest Android OS (ported to device), Stable CM, AOKP releases, etc....< in 5 month none of this landed on MX and none of this will in near future (or ever)

PS. CM for MX looks like on "test" builds not "nightlies", while N5 builds are popping daily. And I obviously dont blame the devs, its just the phone is not interesting to them and only available in USA

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Touchless controls, active notifications, Motorola connect

here is your comment "Its bugged and actually removes features that make Moto X good."

actually removes feature?? i asked give an example and you said Touchless controls, active notifications, Motorola connect

dont understand how those features are removed.. its still there

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
here is your comment "Its bugged and actually removes features that make Moto X good."

actually removes feature?? i asked give an example and you said Touchless controls, active notifications, Motorola connect

dont understand how those features are removed.. its still there

CyanogenMod 10.2 nightlies arrive for unlocked Moto X smartphones - Android Community

"That said, the files are available from the CyanogenMod website and the handsets are listed as xt1060 (Verizon Wireless), xt1058 (AT&T) and xt1053 (T-Mobile). These all measure in at slightly under 193MB in size and you will also want to grab the latest GApps package for flashing in addition to Cyanogen. Touching back on the regular Moto X software and those going the Cyanogen route will lose a few features.

The Moto X comes with a few Motorola specifics such as Active Notifications and Voice Control. The notifications bit simply means users can see what has come in without fully unlocking their phone. While it sounds simple, it has really proven to be rather useful. The Voice Control means voice access, again without even having to wake or unlock your phone.

The catch is, these are two of the more highly touted features of the Moto X and neither will be include with these CyanogenMod ROMs. But again, having some options is always nice and while we like both of these features, there are likely some who can live without them."

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

CyanogenMod 10.2 nightlies arrive for unlocked Moto X smartphones - Android Community

"That said, the files are available from the CyanogenMod website and the handsets are listed as xt1060 (Verizon Wireless), xt1058 (AT&T) and xt1053 (T-Mobile). These all measure in at slightly under 193MB in size and you will also want to grab the latest GApps package for flashing in addition to Cyanogen. Touching back on the regular Moto X software and those going the Cyanogen route will lose a few features.

The Moto X comes with a few Motorola specifics such as Active Notifications and Voice Control. The notifications bit simply means users can see what has come in without fully unlocking their phone. While it sounds simple, it has really proven to be rather useful. The Voice Control means voice access, again without even having to wake or unlock your phone.

The catch is, these are two of the more highly touted features of the Moto X and neither will be include with these CyanogenMod ROMs. But again, having some options is always nice and while we like both of these features, there are likely some who can live without them."
alright you and I are definitely not in the same page.. forget about it I was talking about something else and you seem to reply about something else

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
alright you and I are definitely not in the same page.. forget about it I was talking about something else and you seem to reply about something else

I said CM removes features from the phone. Those are the features that get removed: Touchless controls, active notifications, Motorola connect. And thats what the article explains to you

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I said CM removes features from the phone. Those are the features that get removed: Touchless controls, active notifications, Motorola connect. And thats what the article explains to you

i figured that out.. but i was under the impression that u said Moto X removed feature with latest update(kitkat) so my bad

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
People are missing the point about CM or anything like that. This phone's software is optimized heavily for the hardware, it will be fine in two years. I too have worried about the battery though...

With Xposed framework and GravityBox, you can retain all the features that make the X great while getting nearly all of the things the big name ROMs have to offer. Just need root...this isn't a phone that has crappy stock software to begin with, so must of us that like to flash, flash, flash have been kept at bay by the experience the phone offers stock.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Far more than any device that came before it, including the Nexus 4. For the one and two year mark, I don't foresee any apps that it can't handle, any OS changes that make it obsolete and the way they handled SoC integration, memory usage and data/file storage methods I don't see "bogging down" in such a short time to be a possibility. Granted I'm only 4 months into ownership, but other than flirting with a Nexus 5 a couple of times, I haven't even had my head turned from this yet and I don't see that changing with the Spring 2014 line-up unless HTC does something amazing or Samsung changes course.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I suspect that most all flagship phones from the last year or so are much more future proof than phones from 2-3 years ago. We seem to be hitting the sweet spot in performance where adding specs only gives minimal gains in useful performance unless you're doing processor heavy type work (i.e. games).

As for the battery, the new Moto line is probably the best choice for non-removable battery phones as far as future proofing. They tend to use less battery than other phones which should help with overall battery life. Even then, if the only problem you have in 2 years is your battery it will almost certainly be cheaper to replace the battery than it will be to buy a new phone. Granted, any phone that has a removable will be even cheaper if it comes to that, but there's no guarantee it will come to that.

Roger Gibbens

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
I think the Moto X will fare better than most over the course of the next 2 years. With Google and Motorola working together, things should get better, IMO.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think any 2013 phone is more futureproof then any other. They're all pretty much on par in any way that's noteworthy. The highest specced phones out right now only have a lead of about 6 months in terms of future upgrades which is negligible enough that it's not a concern. IMO we should be worried about future proofing when 64 bit apps start coming online as a common standard.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
It's a great phone no doubt in today's world, but what about a year from now? Two years from now? Saw a comment about this today and I was curious to know what y'all thought.

It will be ok to run apps, games most ( not the graphic intensive ones, well anyway) OS updates it may get 1 more but I wouldn't expect much more than that. I wouldn't really call it future proof simply for the internals it has. And by no means am I saying it is a bad device or anything. Just when you compare it to the G2,Note, etc you can see where it lags behind in terms of raw power.

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
The GPU is the same as phones like the GS4, and since there are fewer pixels on the screen, I find that the games run smoother on the Moto X.

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I suspect that most all flagship phones from the last year or so are much more future proof than phones from 2-3 years ago. We seem to be hitting the sweet spot in performance where adding specs only gives minimal gains in useful performance unless you're doing processor heavy type work (i.e. games).

As for the battery, the new Moto line is probably the best choice for non-removable battery phones as far as future proofing. They tend to use less battery than other phones which should help with overall battery life. Even then, if the only problem you have in 2 years is your battery it will almost certainly be cheaper to replace the battery than it will be to buy a new phone. Granted, any phone that has a removable will be even cheaper if it comes to that, but there's no guarantee it will come to that.

This^. Phones are topping out as far as the difference specs can make. My one-and-a-half-year-old dual-core Galaxy S3 has basically the same specs as the Moto X or the Motorola Ultra series that came out over a year later. The Galaxy S4 came out a year later with a better processor, yet most reviewers and users say it does not run as smooth as the S3, because the software was not as well optimized for it. Software will make a bigger difference than hardware now and in the foreseeable future. And Motorola seems to be the leader in updates/running the latest software now that Google bought them. They are even getting updates faster than the Nexus 4, I believe.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
this thread is very subjective. it all depends on how you see things. if specs are what floats your boat, then the Moto X is not very "future proof". I have an S4, and as long as the dang thing works until July 2015, I think I can handle not getting each and every update that comes out. as long as it operates as it does now (beautifully) then that's my definition of future proof. I see people still rocking the S2, the HTC Hero and Eris, with no regrets. I couldn't do it, but to each his own. as long as the smartphone is performing the way YOU need it to, then it's future proof. so, to answer the question, I say the Moto X is very future proof, depending on the person.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think any 2013 phone is more futureproof then any other. They're all pretty much on par in any way that's noteworthy. The highest specced phones out right now only have a lead of about 6 months in terms of future upgrades which is negligible enough that it's not a concern. IMO we should be worried about future proofing when 64 bit apps start coming online as a common standard.

Yes, all phones are the same when it comes to future-proofing except for Nexus devices. My Galaxy Nexus works just as fast and just as good as Moto X thanks to devs.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Far more than any device that came before it, including the Nexus 4. For the one and two year mark, I don't foresee any apps that it can't handle, any OS changes that make it obsolete and the way they handled SoC integration, memory usage and data/file storage methods I don't see "bogging down" in such a short time to be a possibility. Granted I'm only 4 months into ownership, but other than flirting with a Nexus 5 a couple of times, I haven't even had my head turned from this yet and I don't see that changing with the Spring 2014 line-up unless HTC does something amazing or Samsung changes course.

I agree 100%. I play with other phones and OS's frequently. I have not had any of my previous phone or anything new pull me away for more than a day. I have recommended the Moto X to my non-tech friends over anything else out there. Unfortunately, many still buy into the iPhone or Samsung marketing and can't let go of it. Not that either make bad phones. I just happen to think that the Moto X is the best device out right now for the money.