11-08-2015 12:30 AM
108 1234 ...
tools
    It almost looks like a superthin film of foam that is getting displaced as it shrinks, or something to that effect.
    In any case, I see it happening on my device as well. But it has so far not affected the image from the front camera, and since I pretty much never use the thing anyway, it's not worth it for me at this point to send it in for replacement, when the rest of the phone is working fine and I'd have to spend time and effort to reconfigure a replacement (even with a backup done).
    03-21-2014 10:04 AM
    I just had to start the process of returning my phone for this issue... Really really annoying. At least this gives me a chance to grab a wood back X. But still. Not happy.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-07-2014 01:30 AM
    Mine is doing the same thing. Wonder if I should contact Motorola before it becomes an issue.
    04-07-2014 12:55 PM
    I noticed the same thing with mine this morning. I hit up customer service and had an RMA#, return label and MotoMaker code within an hour. I hope they fixed whatever the issue was. I can only think of one time where I've "dropped" my phone and it was a few months ago in church when it slid off of my knee (no case) and landed on it's back on carpet. It wasn't a hard hit at all and didn't put a scratch on it. Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-img_20140416_075126.jpg
    04-16-2014 02:18 PM
    Does it affect pictures for you at all? Mine has the same problem but doesn't seem to affect pictures from what I see.
    04-16-2014 02:27 PM
    Does it affect pictures for you at all? Mine has the same problem but doesn't seem to affect pictures from what I see.
    It seems to make it grainier than it should be, at least under good lighting. Mine is starting to have screen burn in issues anyway (from the soft key black bar - which you can notice when watching full screen video) so I guess it's a good opportunity to exchange it anyway. I have a feeling that with the X2/X+1 (whatever they're gonna call it) coming out in a few months, the Moto X might get to the point where you'll be able to get another replacement, but it'll be black or white because the Motomaker factory will be tooled up for the new device. I'd rather swap it now than wait until closer to time for my year warranty to be up. Motomaker was the reason why I went with the Moto X over the Droid Maxx.
    04-16-2014 03:05 PM
    contact Motorola and they will offer to replace it for free. i did it about 2 weeks ago and the process was smooth and easy. i did a live chat, described what had happened, sent my original order # and then they sent me a code to make a new one. You get to keep your phone until the new one comes in and then you get 10 days to send the old one back!
    travo1978 likes this.
    04-16-2014 04:17 PM
    contact Motorola and they will offer to replace it for free. i did it about 2 weeks ago and the process was smooth and easy. i did a live chat, described what had happened, sent my original order # and then they sent me a code to make a new one. You get to keep your phone until the new one comes in and then you get 10 days to send the old one back!
    Thanks for mentioning that. Mine had the problem also but I was just going to live with it. Seeing how easy it was, I just went on there and did a live chat, got my code, and ordered my new Moto X.

For anyone that has gotten a replacement, have you noticed the problem a second time? Also does anyone know if this is specific to the custom ones?
    04-18-2014 10:13 AM
    Thanks for mentioning that. Mine had the problem also but I was just going to live with it. Seeing how easy it was, I just went on there and did a live chat, got my code, and ordered my new Moto X.

For anyone that has gotten a replacement, have you noticed the problem a second time? Also does anyone know if this is specific to the custom ones?
    I got my replacement and went wth the white front. have had it for 2 weeks and nothing yet. I wish i was keeping it to really see if there front made a difference for some reason, but im sending this one back because it wasn't what i was looking for.

what im trying to say is that im noticing that its really only people with the black front and very rarely people with the white...
    04-18-2014 04:35 PM
    I got my replacement and went wth the white front. have had it for 2 weeks and nothing yet. I wish i was keeping it to really see if there front made a difference for some reason, but im sending this one back because it wasn't what i was looking for.

what im trying to say is that im noticing that its really only people with the black front and very rarely people with the white...
    At the same time, based on the gallery thread, most people are rocking black fronts.

04-18-2014 08:46 PM
    At the same time, based on the gallery thread, most people are rocking black fronts.

Touch!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    04-19-2014 02:48 AM
    I have a white front and it's doing it, but as I mentioned before it hasn't affected the image (yet) and has stayed stable. Since I don't use the front camera (except to check how the image is working:-) I'm not inclined to send mine back unless there's a problem elsewhere. So far I've been fortunate, my Motomaker X hasn't shown any other defects and is working well.
    04-19-2014 09:40 AM
    I got on the chat with Motorola because of this and they sent me a code for a free MotoMaker Moto X! I just had a regular Moto x too. Motorola is just plain awesome.
    04-22-2014 01:55 PM
    So this is two weeks into my new MX. No drops etc. I'm kind of at a loss for words.

Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-surfacert-img_20140507_112657.jpg
    05-07-2014 12:40 PM
    I knew this was an issue with other X's and it played into my decision to (ahem) unlock the bootloader recently as my woven black model did not suffer from the camera grommet thing. Well whaddya know a little while after and a voided warranty now mine is doing it. I find it odd as I've had it since the end of August, it took so long to start happening.

And I know I willingly and knowingly voided my warranty, so I'm not making any excuses, just sort of regretting it now.

-Eclipsed Moto X-
    05-07-2014 06:32 PM
    Check out the thread over at XDA. Some guy took the back off and fixed it in 10 minutes.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...t2637497/page4

05-07-2014 06:51 PM
    Check out the thread over at XDA. Some guy took the back off and fixed it in 10 minutes.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...t2637497/page4

Yeah, I saw that. I'm no stranger to disassembling a phone, but as long as it's in warranty and Motorola is handing out new ones, I'm inclined to go that route.

05-07-2014 08:22 PM
    I noticed this too. Sure, it's at an angle, but I don't think I should be able to see the edges of the rear shooter either. :/

Attached Thumbnails Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-img_20140510_081240.jpg  
    05-10-2014 09:13 AM
    Same issue here. I figured they would say I dropped my phone. I have never speed it once, not one scratch on it. I think I'll call them and see what happens. It doesn't effect the camera at all, but I'm afraid it may start and I use hangouts to talk to my wife when she travels. That could become really irritating. Thanks for the post! Hate that there's a problem, but I love to know I'm not alone.

05-10-2014 10:41 AM
    Same issue here. I figured they would say I dropped my phone. I have never speed it once, not one scratch on it. I think I'll call them and see what happens. It doesn't effect the camera at all, but I'm afraid it may start and I use hangouts to talk to my wife when she travels. That could become really irritating. Thanks for the post! Hate that there's a problem, but I love to know I'm not alone.

Nah, I haven't been asked if I dropped either one of mine. Instead of doing the form like the last time, I just used Moto Chat. They are sending me another code, no questions asked (I referenced the pictures I posted up here). Great customer service.

Edit: New Motomaker code in half an hour. Man, I love those guys.
    05-11-2014 09:35 AM
    One day shy of three weeks with my replacement phone and noticed today that mine is starting to creep in from the top right side again. I'd be kind of mad if I didn't love these phones so much. I guess as long as they keep replacing them for this I'll keep getting new phones.
    savini72 likes this.
    05-13-2014 02:49 PM
    One day shy of three weeks with my replacement phone and noticed today that mine is starting to creep in from the top right side again. I'd be kind of mad if I didn't love these phones so much. I guess as long as they keep replacing them for this I'll keep getting new phones.
    It's strange indeed. My 3rd one will be here Thursday. I just can't figure out why this is so widespread. I wonder if the curved backs are swelling in hot weather, then contracting hard when you walk into a cool building, and it's expanding/contracting faster then the grommet does causing it to shift? I'm pulling that one out of rear. It's just such an odd R&D problem to have.

I should probably go stare at it over at iFixit.

05-14-2014 03:23 AM
    I have noticed this a few weeks back but hasn't gotten any worse
    05-14-2014 11:26 AM
    Just finished an online chat with Motorola. Sent me a code for a new one. Took less than 20 minutes. I'm excited to put together a new one. Now I can choose a different one. There were so many options I wanted the first time. It's like I got a do over. I'm sold on Motorola. Will definitely be buying the Moto X+1 when is released.

benhaube likes this.
    05-14-2014 06:12 PM
    Yeah had the same issue, after about a 15-20 min chat through the Help app on my X they sent me a code for a new one, took the opportunity and upgraded to a wooden back as well. FANTASTIC costumer service.
    05-14-2014 09:36 PM
108 1234 ...