11-07-2015 11:30 PM
108 12345
tools
    I agree. They didn't even asked me if I dropped it or anything. Just offered me a new phone. I'm definitely sticking with Motorola. I got the wood back on my first one. Went with the dark Teal on the new one.

Posted via Android Central App
    05-15-2014 08:03 AM
    I too chatted with Motorola yesterday and they sent me a new pin. My grommet was loose for sure, but it didnt affect the FFC image at all, but I wanted a replacement before it was too late and I couldnt anymore. I had the royal blue back and after 6 months it looked horrible. I went with the ebony back this time, so hopefully it is able to stay a lot cleaner than the royal blue.

I dont like using a case, but I dont think that the back cover should have gotten as dirty as it did without one.
    05-15-2014 01:52 PM
    Brand new, fresh out of the box. I haven't powered it on or even taken the film off the front. Is there an emoticon for a face palm? It's just not worth setting up a device all over again that has the exact same problem.

Attached Thumbnails Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-28623.jpg   Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-28624.jpg   Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-28625.jpg  
    05-15-2014 05:20 PM
    Brand new, fresh out of the box. I haven't powered it on or even taken the film off the front. Is there an emoticon for a face palm? It's just not worth setting up a device all over again that has the exact same problem.

Stop exaggerating. Mine is almost completely covered and it still work with only minor discoloration.
    Attached Thumbnails Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-ffc.jpg  
    ultravisitor likes this.
    05-15-2014 08:42 PM
    Maybe that's just a bad picture but it looks just like mine which looks like every other Moto X I've seen. I don't see what your problem is.

Now SOMEGUY's on the other hand...
    05-15-2014 09:08 PM
    Maybe its just a bad angle. Scroll through on page 2 and look at my first 2 Moto X's. They both started out like the one. My point is that the grommet isn't centered. I have a box full of devices with FFC's. I'm typing this on a Surface RT that survived a car wreck hit head on @ 55mph. No grommet issues. Your point is my point. EVERY Moto X has this.... so it's suppose to be OK?
    05-15-2014 09:54 PM
    All I know is when this first came up around the first of the year I got worried and took a look at mine with an LED flashlight. "HOLY COW! Mine has it too!" But then I realized that what I was seeing was the shadow of the case around the hole and it moved as I moved the flashlight. Since then I have examined other Moto Xs in stores and they exhibit the same shadows that make it look as though the gasket is slightly covering the lens. Maybe that's the case here.

(I'm sure I got some funny looks in stores with a phone in one hand and a flashlight in the other,)
    05-15-2014 10:32 PM
    If you take a look at the thread at xda it's not a grommet. It's just a sticker. I don't think the issue is as bad as some are making it out to be.
    05-16-2014 07:18 AM
    It's not just a sticker. It's foam (with adhesive), and I think a foam that contracts under heat. I've taken devices apart. I've seen devices that have been taken apart. I've never seen foam, or a sticker, or any type of adhesive material used to seal off a front facing camera.

Here's the Moto X: Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-motoxgrommet.png

Take a look at the Galaxy S4: Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-s4.jpg

And the HTC One M8: Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-htc1m8.png

Don't forget the LG G2 either: Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-lg-g2.jpg

Motorola didn't even use it on the Razr Maxx Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-razrmaxx.png

My first point is simply that Motorola made a mistake when they decided to go this route. My second point is that we mind as well learn to live with it because every MX is going to do it eventually and nothing Motorola can do will fix it. This reminds me of Samsung's GPS issues with the original SGS. No form of acknowledgment of the problem and promises of firmware fixes were going to fix a hardware issue. Huge, HUGE kudos to Motorola for being so willing to hand out replacements, but at the end of the day, it's not worth the hassle to set up a new device over and over and over again to have the same problem just a few weeks later.

If someone doesn't use the FFC that much, big deal I guess. I Skype a decent amount, and yeah, it makes a difference in quality. Whether it's wrinkled up foam that causes it or light bleed, I don't know.
    weksa likes this.
    05-16-2014 09:56 AM
    Mine looks exactly like that and has since I got it over 5 months ago. I've had exactly zero problems with this.
    05-16-2014 11:46 AM
    You're a lucky one then. I had no idea it was so widespread until I hit the google box on it. There are people who have been through 6 or 7 devices that have all suffered the same problem. I mean, it's not something that is, or should be, "user error" (and there are plenty of things people send devices back over that are user error). I can't figure out a valid, explainable reason for it to happen as often and to as many people as it's happening to. Either way, whether it's happened to everyone or not, the front face camera is a subpar assembly compared to basically every other Android device out there.

I'm not ripping on Motorola. I'm someone that has praised them a TON because they are doing things as right as corporately possible. It's impressive. Insanely impressive. I'm merely pointing out that their choice in components is questionable to those of us that have been through multiple devices.
    05-16-2014 12:07 PM
    If the grommet is not moving and it's not blocking the lens then it's a very minor cosmetic issue. Complaining about it before there is an actual problem is a disservice to other users and Motorola. If you've had a phone where the camera actually was blocked then I can see where you'd be nervous about it but at least wait and see if it starts moving.
    ultravisitor and morphodone like this.
    05-16-2014 12:59 PM
    If the grommet is not moving and it's not blocking the lens then it's a very minor cosmetic issue. Complaining about it before there is an actual problem is a disservice to other users and Motorola. If you've had a phone where the camera actually was blocked then I can see where you'd be nervous about it but at least wait and see if it starts moving.
    This is exactly what I was meaning to say but you said it better.
    05-17-2014 07:38 AM
    I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you in general, but Motorola is doing it's customer's and itself a disservice in the long run by continuing to manufacture a defect. I can't capture it on camera (crappy camera) but it almost looks like the new one has two pieces of foam crammed in there. That just gives more material to block the camera after the foam shrinks. My current Moto X has gotten worse, and it absolutely blocks and degrades the FFC.

If you buy a brand new car, drive it off the lot and immediately notice a potential problem, are you doing the dealership a disservice by immediately taking it back? It's your car that you paid good money for, shouldn't you expect it to not be defective?

My first Moto X started off with a perfect FFC. The second was about like this one. Why on earth should I assume that the magical piece of misaligned foam in this third one isn't going to do the same thing? Here's my current MX 10 days after the last picture I posted. Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-img_20140517_084241.jpg

That's not "shifting", "moving" or "falling". It's shrinking. And it's a defect that needs to be fixed. Me pointing out this fact doesn't do Motorola a disservice. Motorola's design of this portion of their flagship phone does itself a disservice. Me having to spend another 3 hours to set up a new device is a disservice. I wouldn't drive a brand new car with a misaligned bumper off the lot because it's "only a minor cosmetic issue", especially not one that is touted as being superior because it's "hand assembled". 3rd time is suppose to be close enough? Unfortunately, all Motorola is doing is showing why smart phones shouldn't be hand assembled, and it sucks because this is hands down the best device I've owned

If the Moto X can't handle summers in the southeast without these kinds of problems, then they needs to start replacing our units with different devices because I'm simply not going to continue to go through the process of setting up a new device every time. My time, and Motorola's hardware, is valuable. That's not unreasonable.
    05-17-2014 09:09 AM
    If the Moto X can't handle summers in the southeast without these kinds of problems, then they needs to start replacing our units with different devices because I'm simply not going to continue to go through the process of setting up a new device every time. My time, and Motorola's hardware, is valuable. That's not unreasonable.
    When the camera gets blocked then, yes, Motorola must replace the phone and investigate and fix the processes that allow it to happen.

I'd be interested in statistics about how often the camera gets blocked. If it's rare overall but it happens to some people repeatedly I'd guess that it's a problem with a batch of phones.
    05-19-2014 01:07 PM
    I'm typing this on a Surface RT that survived a car wreck hit head on @ 55mph. No grommet issues.
    How did you survive?

sent via tapatalk
    05-21-2014 01:50 AM
    How did you survive?

sent via tapatalk
    I was sitting stationary, didn't see it coming, got hit at a slight angle and manged to spin freely and come to a stop without hitting anything.

In other news. My latest Moto X is doing the same thing as well. I'd post a pic, but I'm sitting in an airport without a camera.

My previous Moto X isn't even making it back to the factory until Wednesday!

05-26-2014 11:25 AM
    Wow. That was quick. I've had my replacement for 2 weeks and haven't seen the grommet coming back into view. I've been keeping a close eye on it though. Good luck.

05-26-2014 03:54 PM
    Wow. That was quick. I've had my replacement for 2 weeks and haven't seen the grommet coming back into view. I've been keeping a close eye on it though. Good luck.

I keep thinking that somehow I'm the culprit behind it with my use (which I can't fathom how) but lately all I've done is ride on planes and hang out in Mexican Countrysides.

In other news, prepaid GSM SIMs work great in the Verizon Moto X!

05-26-2014 11:00 PM
    I think I'll hit up the Motorola Forums this time. These things need more than a 2-3 week shelf life!

Attached Thumbnails Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated-img_20140527_074751.jpg  
    05-27-2014 07:50 AM
    I got my replacement on 5/19. I just noticed the grommet starting to creep back into view. I'm sure I noticed it early this time because I'm looking for it. Not too worried about it until it becomes a problem. Not looking forward to setting up a new phone.

06-03-2014 05:14 PM
    This has been a problem on mine for a long time, probably since I got the phone back in November. I didn't think it was an issue though because the FFC took fine pictures.

But then I noticed how dark the video is when I do a Hangout video chat. It's really really bad. But honestly, the amount I video chat versus dealing with replacing the phone makes it not worth the hassle.

06-05-2014 05:29 AM
    I ordered my replacement yesterday. Motorola's support people were very helpful, and got my Moto Maker pin to me in less than an hour. It was nice dealing with tech support that speak great English as well.

I don't use my FFC all that much, but it was being effected by the grommet and I wanted to get a replacement before the Texas plant closed.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    06-05-2014 05:58 AM
    I ordered my replacement yesterday. Motorola's support people were very helpful, and got my Moto Maker pin to me in less than an hour. It was nice dealing with tech support that speak great English as well.

I don't use my FFC all that much, but it was being effected by the grommet and I wanted to get a replacement before the Texas plant closed.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    That's part is the reason that I'm considering contacting them and seeing if I can get a replacement sooner than later. They said Moto maker will still be available after the closure, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I friggin love this phone, just can't see buying anything but the next generation of it.

06-05-2014 11:08 AM
    Yeah mine has been getting worse in the last few weeks but i never use the FFC and will be getting a Nexus 5 this weekend and will see if Motorola will replace/repair the Moto X
    06-05-2014 11:08 AM
108 12345