Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto X - Front Camera Grommet Dislocated

You're a lucky one then. I had no idea it was so widespread until I hit the google box on it. There are people who have been through 6 or 7 devices that have all suffered the same problem. I mean, it's not something that is, or should be, "user error" (and there are plenty of things people send devices back over that are user error). I can't figure out a valid, explainable reason for it to happen as often and to as many people as it's happening to. Either way, whether it's happened to everyone or not, the front face camera is a subpar assembly compared to basically every other Android device out there.

I'm not ripping on Motorola. I'm someone that has praised them a TON because they are doing things as right as corporately possible. It's impressive. Insanely impressive. I'm merely pointing out that their choice in components is questionable to those of us that have been through multiple devices.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

If the grommet is not moving and it's not blocking the lens then it's a very minor cosmetic issue. Complaining about it before there is an actual problem is a disservice to other users and Motorola. If you've had a phone where the camera actually was blocked then I can see where you'd be nervous about it but at least wait and see if it starts moving.

morphodone

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

If the grommet is not moving and it's not blocking the lens then it's a very minor cosmetic issue. Complaining about it before there is an actual problem is a disservice to other users and Motorola. If you've had a phone where the camera actually was blocked then I can see where you'd be nervous about it but at least wait and see if it starts moving.

This is exactly what I was meaning to say but you said it better.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with you in general, but Motorola is doing it's customer's and itself a disservice in the long run by continuing to manufacture a defect. I can't capture it on camera (crappy camera) but it almost looks like the new one has two pieces of foam crammed in there. That just gives more material to block the camera after the foam shrinks. My current Moto X has gotten worse, and it absolutely blocks and degrades the FFC.

If you buy a brand new car, drive it off the lot and immediately notice a potential problem, are you doing the dealership a disservice by immediately taking it back? It's your car that you paid good money for, shouldn't you expect it to not be defective?

My first Moto X started off with a perfect FFC. The second was about like this one. Why on earth should I assume that the magical piece of misaligned foam in this third one isn't going to do the same thing? Here's my current MX 10 days after the last picture I posted. IMG_20140517_084241.jpg

That's not "shifting", "moving" or "falling". It's shrinking. And it's a defect that needs to be fixed. Me pointing out this fact doesn't do Motorola a disservice. Motorola's design of this portion of their flagship phone does itself a disservice. Me having to spend another 3 hours to set up a new device is a disservice. I wouldn't drive a brand new car with a misaligned bumper off the lot because it's "only a minor cosmetic issue", especially not one that is touted as being superior because it's "hand assembled". 3rd time is suppose to be close enough? Unfortunately, all Motorola is doing is showing why smart phones shouldn't be hand assembled, and it sucks because this is hands down the best device I've owned :(

If the Moto X can't handle summers in the southeast without these kinds of problems, then they needs to start replacing our units with different devices because I'm simply not going to continue to go through the process of setting up a new device every time. My time, and Motorola's hardware, is valuable. That's not unreasonable.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

If the Moto X can't handle summers in the southeast without these kinds of problems, then they needs to start replacing our units with different devices because I'm simply not going to continue to go through the process of setting up a new device every time. My time, and Motorola's hardware, is valuable. That's not unreasonable.

When the camera gets blocked then, yes, Motorola must replace the phone and investigate and fix the processes that allow it to happen.

I'd be interested in statistics about how often the camera gets blocked. If it's rare overall but it happens to some people repeatedly I'd guess that it's a problem with a batch of phones.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
How did you survive?

sent via tapatalk

I was sitting stationary, didn't see it coming, got hit at a slight angle and manged to spin freely and come to a stop without hitting anything.

In other news. My latest Moto X is doing the same thing as well. I'd post a pic, but I'm sitting in an airport without a camera.

My previous Moto X isn't even making it back to the factory until Wednesday!

Posted via Android Central App

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Wow. That was quick. I've had my replacement for 2 weeks and haven't seen the grommet coming back into view. I've been keeping a close eye on it though. Good luck.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Wow. That was quick. I've had my replacement for 2 weeks and haven't seen the grommet coming back into view. I've been keeping a close eye on it though. Good luck.

I keep thinking that somehow I'm the culprit behind it with my use (which I can't fathom how) but lately all I've done is ride on planes and hang out in Mexican Countrysides.

In other news, prepaid GSM SIMs work great in the Verizon Moto X!

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I think I'll hit up the Motorola Forums this time. These things need more than a 2-3 week shelf life!

Attachments

• IMG_20140527_074751.jpg
    IMG_20140527_074751.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 98

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

I got my replacement on 5/19. I just noticed the grommet starting to creep back into view. I'm sure I noticed it early this time because I'm looking for it. Not too worried about it until it becomes a problem. Not looking forward to setting up a new phone.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

This has been a problem on mine for a long time, probably since I got the phone back in November. I didn't think it was an issue though because the FFC took fine pictures.

But then I noticed how dark the video is when I do a Hangout video chat. It's really really bad. But honestly, the amount I video chat versus dealing with replacing the phone makes it not worth the hassle.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

I ordered my replacement yesterday. Motorola's support people were very helpful, and got my Moto Maker pin to me in less than an hour. It was nice dealing with tech support that speak great English as well.

I don't use my FFC all that much, but it was being effected by the grommet and I wanted to get a replacement before the Texas plant closed.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

I ordered my replacement yesterday. Motorola's support people were very helpful, and got my Moto Maker pin to me in less than an hour. It was nice dealing with tech support that speak great English as well.

I don't use my FFC all that much, but it was being effected by the grommet and I wanted to get a replacement before the Texas plant closed.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

That's part is the reason that I'm considering contacting them and seeing if I can get a replacement sooner than later. They said Moto maker will still be available after the closure, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I friggin love this phone, just can't see buying anything but the next generation of it.

str8bucs

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Yeah mine has been getting worse in the last few weeks but i never use the FFC and will be getting a Nexus 5 this weekend and will see if Motorola will replace/repair the Moto X

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Welp, I guess Motorola is growing tired of replacing defects. I went to exchange my 3rd Moto X and got this back:

Dear Patrick,

I have noticed that you have provided a different address and name from the original order in your replacement request. We are not able to change the shipping address on this type of a repair unless you are able to provide us with a proof of address change. Also, unfortunately, for security reasons, an Advance Exchange can only be processed by the person who placed the original order. I understand that this might seem frustrating, but this is a security measure that has been put in place to protect our customers. If you would like to process the Advance Exchange, I request that you please have the original purchaser submit the device for repair under their own name. To do this, simply have the original owner email us with the email address used to place the original order. We also ask that you clarify the reason for the change in ownership and address. Please let us know if you need any further assistance by replying to this email. Thank you for choosing Motorola and have a great day!

Brandi J
Motorola Support

Ummm, I AM the original owner, and all of the information is the same that it's been since Day 1 including name, email address, billing and shipping address. So, either this person is confused. Or they're NOT sending out new units and are, in fact, recycling IMEI numbers meaning these advance exchange units are in all reality refurbed Moto X's. Just thought I'd toss that out there for everyone to be aware of.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Isn't this cherry. So now, under my account, it's showing my [lang edit] device as not under warranty and to submit proof of purchase. From Motorola:

" Proof of Purchase Requirements

A Proof of Purchase can be a Sales Receipt or an Activation Agreement, and must meet the following requirements.

In order to be considered valid, a Proof of Purchase must have all the following:

* Sales receipt from a store, with printed shop or store logo.
* Date of Purchase.
* Mechanical Serial Number (MSN) and /or Electronic Serial Number (ESN).
* EBAY Receipts are not valid.

In order to be considered valid, an Activation Agreement must have all the following:

* Activation form, from carrier or shop, with printed logo.
* Customers information (name and address)
* Date of Activation.
* Mechanical Serial Number (MSN) and /or Electronic Serial Number (ESN)"

Unfortunately, if you purchase from Motomaker, your receipt doesn't provide you with those things. So, awesome. Thanks Motorola.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Just got off a chat with Motorola and got a code for a new phone. Received my last replacement in the middle of may. The grommet slid down pretty quick this time. I'm sure it's the Texas heat. I'm willing to bet that this won't be a problem with the X +1. They have to be sick of replacing these things.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Chatted earlier with Motorola. My second X (non Moto Maker) is having the FFC issue. Guy called me back in 10 minutes to tell me that there was an error processing the RMA, and that my case will be escalated. I'm supposed to expect a call in 24-48 hours. I've read so many stories of people not getting that call

Last edited:

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

I have heard that too. It's disappointing. Seems to be the case with non moto maker phones. Keep us informed please. I'm a fan of Motorola customer service, they've been great to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance