Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated

procrastination

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday while looking at the front of my phone I noticed the front camera appears to be obscured by some kind of plastic spacer.

I haven't dropped my phone or given it any high shock hits. It has been very cold here this past week though and I did have it in my coat pocket while we were outside for an extended time.

Has anyone else seen this happening?

http://i.imgur.com/ws8Psdj.jpg

Also, although it doesn't actually obscure the camera there is a noticeable "haze" on the images I take using the front camera.

Edit: I got my phone in October I believe - Is this something which might be covered under a warranty?

Last edited:

evleroy

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Moto X - Front Camera Grommet Dislocated

Same thing happened to me. I noticed the film/glue/grommet starting to cover my front facing camera after I came inside from snow blowing my driveway. It was very cold (negative single digits) and my phone was in my outside pocket. I spoke with Motorola and it should be covered under the one year warranty. My plan is to have Motorola repair the issue before it becomes a real problem (i.e. obscures the camera).

I guess that's what Moto gets for trying to assemble electronics in the U.S.! :-$:-$:-$

chill.117

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

Just noticed the same exact thing on my phone. Any of you guys talk to Motorola about it yet?

Posted via Android Central App

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

I have the same issue. Camera still takes pics of same quality though.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday while looking at the front of my phone I noticed the front camera appears to be obscured by some kind of plastic spacer.

I haven't dropped my phone or given it any high shock hits. It has been very cold here this past week though and I did have it in my coat pocket while we were outside for an extended time.

Has anyone else seen this happening?

http://i.imgur.com/ws8Psdj.jpg

Also, although it doesn't actually obscure the camera there is a noticeable "haze" on the images I take using the front camera.

Edit: I got my phone in October I believe - Is this something which might be covered under a warranty?

Mine was this way when I got it out of the box in September. It doesn't affect my front facing pictures in anyway (that i can tell) but I hate looking at it. Motorola said they would fix it but I don't wanna be phone less for over a week. I'm about to order my ebony moto x with the 299 promotion code, hopefully they have this issue fixed by now.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

So it is an acknowledged issue. I was beginning to think it may not be an issue at all since the camera still works just fine.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

tooncesthecat

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

Ah, made an account just to share my story about this...

I have had no fewer than 4 Moto X's with the same issue. Over time, the little spacer around the front-facing camera just creeps lower and lower until you get all sorts of lines, poor lighting, etc on the image (which wasn't all that great to begin with). I keep calling them to complain about it and they replace (not repair!) it under warranty. My 5th one is on the way, and they agreed that if this one develops the same issue that I will get a refund. My admittedly unscientific hypothesis is that it has to do with heat and humidity. I carry mine in my back pocket almost all the time which may loosen whatever glue is designed to keep this little spacer in place.

While Motorola has been great about replacing this under warranty -- and I'll note they let me keep the old one until the new one arrives -- setting up a new phone is still a pain, and I'm averaging a replacement every 3 weeks. In any case, yes, call Moto, it's covered.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

Maybe stop carrying the phone in your back pocket.

I'm not discounting those who are experiencing this issue, but I've owned my Moto X since Aug 24 and no problems with the front camera grommet.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I have trouble understanding why people put smartphones in their back pockets at all. Guess to me that is the last place I want my expensive device. Not only can you break the phone/glass if you sit on it, you can end up with your pants on fire when it happens like that girl in school this past week or so. :p

bpyoung83

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

I still don't know what piece you're talking about. All I see on mine is the black cutout for the front camera. Is there something else in there?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

tooncesthecat

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

One shouldn't have to change their behavior because a phone has a defect or is poorly made. I've owned many smartphones over the last 9 or so years and have carried them all the same way with no issues...why should this device be treated differently? Also, I take it out of my pocket anytime I'm about to sit on a hard surface so it does not 'flex'. And if it really is heat and/or humidity that's causing this, the same would happen if it were in my front pocket.

tooncesthecat

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

I still don't know what piece you're talking about. All I see on mine is the black cutout for the front camera. Is there something else in there?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

On a normal phone with no issues, you won't see the piece I'm referring to. Attached a photo of the issue. The phone on the right is a brand new replacement, the one on the left has the issue. Note the brand new replacement gradually developed the same problem.
IMG_1078.jpg

chill.117

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

Ah, made an account just to share my story about this...

I have had no fewer than 4 Moto X's with the same issue. Over time, the little spacer around the front-facing camera just creeps lower and lower until you get all sorts of lines, poor lighting, etc on the image (which wasn't all that great to begin with). I keep calling them to complain about it and they replace (not repair!) it under warranty. My 5th one is on the way, and they agreed that if this one develops the same issue that I will get a refund. My admittedly unscientific hypothesis is that it has to do with heat and humidity. I carry mine in my back pocket almost all the time which may loosen whatever glue is designed to keep this little spacer in place.

While Motorola has been great about replacing this under warranty -- and I'll note they let me keep the old one until the new one arrives -- setting up a new phone is still a pain, and I'm averaging a replacement every 3 weeks. In any case, yes, call Moto, it's covered.

How did you get them to replace it? When I talked to them they just said they would repair it

chill.117

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I'm not discounting those who are experiencing this issue, but I've owned my Moto X since Aug 24 and no problems with the front camera grommet.

It happened to my moto x also, even though I never keep my phone in my back pocket. I always keep my phone in my front pocket without any other items in that pocket. Plus I always take my phone out of my pants if I'm doing pretty much anything besides walking, and I've never dropped it except on my couch or bed, so I doubt I could have done anything to stop it from happening (except never taking the phone out of the box)

tooncesthecat

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

How did you get them to replace it? When I talked to them they just said they would repair it

Was yours a customized Moto X? From my understanding (based on spending hours on the phone with Moto Care), the repair process is only for non-customized devices purchased through a carrier or devices out of warranty. I bought mine outright from Moto w/custom colors. And I actually pushed for them to repair mine...my reason being that if it really is a manufacturing issue, a replacement will (and has) just develop the same problem. But they said this is not possible...I *have* to have it replaced. Moto X #5 arrived today, so we shall see if the same thing happens.

chill.117

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

Was yours a customized Moto X? From my understanding (based on spending hours on the phone with Moto Care), the repair process is only for non-customized devices purchased through a carrier or devices out of warranty. I bought mine outright from Moto w/custom colors. And I actually pushed for them to repair mine...my reason being that if it really is a manufacturing issue, a replacement will (and has) just develop the same problem. But they said this is not possible...I *have* to have it replaced. Moto X #5 arrived today, so we shall see if the same thing happens.

Mine is a customized moto x. I bought it on contract with Verizon in November, through motomaker. The person I was taking to was online, I guess I'll have to call

bem0433

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site

So has Motorola fix the problem with the front camera. We have 2 phones that are doing the same thing

evleroy

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Whatever you do, DO NOT send your phone in to Motorola for warranty repair. It took a full 2.5 weeks to complete and when I got the phone back, they sent to wrong phone. Not wrong Moto X... wrong model, wrong IMEI, broken screen, wrong everything. They are sending a replacement phone (fingers crossed). If I actually receive the phone tomorrow, the entire process will have taken 3 weeks.

My advice would be to first go to your carrier to deal with Motorola. Their customer service is the worst I have experienced with any firm (phone manufacturer or otherwise).

martinr80233

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

I had the same issue with mine. Got a replacement from AT&T. The new one I got was fine, after a few weeks the same problem developed with the new phone! And it's not because I had it in my back packet!! This is a wide spread issue that has no way to do with the way we carry our phone! Now I'll have to call AT&T again to get my third phone! Other than this I love my Moto X.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae