Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated

tooncesthecat

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Moto X - Front Camera Grommet Dislocated

Update on my 5th replacement Moto X: It developed the same problem in record time (about 6 days). I called Moto Care (bought the original device outright through Moto, off contract) and they created a return authorization and provided me a next-day FedEx label. I sent it back and am awaiting a refund, which I'd expect would happen this week. Planning on picking up an LG G2 and installing Cyanogenmod. I liked the Moto X otherwise, but just couldn't live with such a defect in workmanship. Good luck all!

sr3tlaw

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site

I'm about to call my Dev Edition on VZW for this issue. Seeing as others have this issue, has anyone considered disassembling and taking it from there?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

cmdr430

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site

i am on the phone w/ motorola as i type this. the support person is trying to tell me i need a camera update....

cmdr430

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site

now being transferred to moto maker support....

first person didn't understand the issue. level 2 did.

i have had this phone since feb. 3rd 2014

mclaser

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

y9e6ane4.jpg
Here's a good shot of the problem. I think this happened after I dropped my phone pretty hard. Landed on the bottom edge. I doesn't affect my front camera image as far as I can tell.

Bill Hong

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

It almost looks like a superthin film of foam that is getting displaced as it shrinks, or something to that effect.
In any case, I see it happening on my device as well. But it has so far not affected the image from the front camera, and since I pretty much never use the thing anyway, it's not worth it for me at this point to send it in for replacement, when the rest of the phone is working fine and I'd have to spend time and effort to reconfigure a replacement (even with a backup done).

Reciprocal

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

I just had to start the process of returning my phone for this issue... Really really annoying. At least this gives me a chance to grab a wood back X. But still. Not happy.

Posted via Android Central App

XCalibration17

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

Mine is doing the same thing. Wonder if I should contact Motorola before it becomes an issue.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I noticed the same thing with mine this morning. I hit up customer service and had an RMA#, return label and MotoMaker code within an hour. I hope they fixed whatever the issue was. I can only think of one time where I've "dropped" my phone and it was a few months ago in church when it slid off of my knee (no case) and landed on it's back on carpet. It wasn't a hard hit at all and didn't put a scratch on it. IMG_20140416_075126.jpg

splmonster

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site

Does it affect pictures for you at all? Mine has the same problem but doesn't seem to affect pictures from what I see.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Does it affect pictures for you at all? Mine has the same problem but doesn't seem to affect pictures from what I see.
It seems to make it grainier than it should be, at least under good lighting. Mine is starting to have screen burn in issues anyway (from the soft key black bar - which you can notice when watching full screen video) so I guess it's a good opportunity to exchange it anyway. I have a feeling that with the X2/X+1 (whatever they're gonna call it) coming out in a few months, the Moto X might get to the point where you'll be able to get another replacement, but it'll be black or white because the Motomaker factory will be tooled up for the new device. I'd rather swap it now than wait until closer to time for my year warranty to be up. Motomaker was the reason why I went with the Moto X over the Droid Maxx.

savini72

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

contact Motorola and they will offer to replace it for free. i did it about 2 weeks ago and the process was smooth and easy. i did a live chat, described what had happened, sent my original order # and then they sent me a code to make a new one. You get to keep your phone until the new one comes in and then you get 10 days to send the old one back!

travo1978

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

contact Motorola and they will offer to replace it for free. i did it about 2 weeks ago and the process was smooth and easy. i did a live chat, described what had happened, sent my original order # and then they sent me a code to make a new one. You get to keep your phone until the new one comes in and then you get 10 days to send the old one back!

Thanks for mentioning that. Mine had the problem also but I was just going to live with it. Seeing how easy it was, I just went on there and did a live chat, got my code, and ordered my new Moto X.

For anyone that has gotten a replacement, have you noticed the problem a second time? Also does anyone know if this is specific to the custom ones?

savini72

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for mentioning that. Mine had the problem also but I was just going to live with it. Seeing how easy it was, I just went on there and did a live chat, got my code, and ordered my new Moto X.

For anyone that has gotten a replacement, have you noticed the problem a second time? Also does anyone know if this is specific to the custom ones?

I got my replacement and went wth the white front. have had it for 2 weeks and nothing yet. I wish i was keeping it to really see if there front made a difference for some reason, but im sending this one back because it wasn't what i was looking for.

what im trying to say is that im noticing that its really only people with the black front and very rarely people with the white...

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I got my replacement and went wth the white front. have had it for 2 weeks and nothing yet. I wish i was keeping it to really see if there front made a difference for some reason, but im sending this one back because it wasn't what i was looking for.

what im trying to say is that im noticing that its really only people with the black front and very rarely people with the white...

At the same time, based on the gallery thread, most people are rocking black fronts.

Posted via Android Central App

Bill Hong

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

I have a white front and it's doing it, but as I mentioned before it hasn't affected the image (yet) and has stayed stable. Since I don't use the front camera (except to check how the image is working:) I'm not inclined to send mine back unless there's a problem elsewhere. So far I've been fortunate, my Motomaker X hasn't shown any other defects and is working well.

XCalibration17

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

I got on the chat with Motorola because of this and they sent me a code for a free MotoMaker Moto X! I just had a regular Moto x too. Motorola is just plain awesome.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

So this is two weeks into my new MX. No drops etc. I'm kind of at a loss for words.

SURFACERT - IMG_20140507_112657.jpg

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

I knew this was an issue with other X's and it played into my decision to (ahem) unlock the bootloader recently as my woven black model did not suffer from the camera grommet thing. Well whaddya know a little while after and a voided warranty now mine is doing it. I find it odd as I've had it since the end of August, it took so long to start happening.

And I know I willingly and knowingly voided my warranty, so I'm not making any excuses, just sort of regretting it now.

-Eclipsed Moto X-

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon