Moto X (1st gen): Front Camera Grommet Dislocated

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto X - Front Camera Grommet Dislocated

Just got off a chat with Motorola and got a code for a new phone. Received my last replacement in the middle of may. The grommet slid down pretty quick this time. I'm sure it's the Texas heat. I'm willing to bet that this won't be a problem with the X +1. They have to be sick of replacing these things.

Posted via Android Central App

My newest one slipped within a week and a half or so. It seems like it takes 1-2 weeks most of the time and that what you're doing is irrelevant. I thought it was all the driving that I do, but this last time was with me hanging out in pretty nice weather in St Lucia.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I have heard that too. It's disappointing. Seems to be the case with non moto maker phones. Keep us informed please. I'm a fan of Motorola customer service, they've been great to me.

I'm at the 36 hour mark. I'm not nervous because it's getting to the 48 hour mark, but more so because I asked the CS guy to email me a copy of our chat as well as create an incident case number, which he said he would but never did.

Edit: now past the 48 hour mark.

Last edited:

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm at the 36 hour mark. I'm not nervous because it's getting to the 48 hour mark, but more so because I asked the CS guy to email me a copy of our chat as well as create an incident case number, which he said he would but never did.

Edit: now past the 48 hour mark.

Sometimes I get the chat, sometimes I don't.

originalbryan

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Got mine replaced. No hassle. Half-hated getting a replacement b/c I didn't really notice performance issues, but thought it might hurt resale down the road and the grommet has been on the move. I was concerned it would eventually cover the lens entirely. Here's some comparison photos and a photo of the grommet slippage. Attempted to take the same shot at the same time. In the comparison photos, the covered lens shots are the left and top images respectively. Same camera settings, no HDR. You can easily tell the uncovered lens shots are more vivid.

lensCovered.jpg
chickens.jpgredhot.jpg

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Got mine replaced. No hassle. Half-hated getting a replacement b/c I didn't really notice performance issues, but thought it might hurt resale down the road and the grommet has been on the move. I was concerned it would eventually cover the lens entirely. Here's some comparison photos and a photo of the grommet slippage. Attempted to take the same shot at the same time. In the comparison photos, the covered lens shots are the left and top images respectively. Same camera settings, no HDR. You can easily tell the uncovered lens shots are more vivid.
Thanks for the comparison shots. Pretty impressive for a FFC. I've gotten tired of trying to get my RMA due to the slipping grommet, so I'll just deal with worse FFC until I buy my next phone.

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site

Has anyone tried to remove the grommet? Or is that not a good idea? I've considered it, but there is no way I would know how to do it, nor do I know the consequences.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

Add me to the list. I'm pretty sure it was like this from day one. I KNOW it was like this after a week. It doesn't seem to be impacting the camera images though. I'm not going to mess with a fix until the image quality suffers.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

My 3.5 week old phone developed this issue, and in the last week the FFC is nearly 80% blocked. After reading this entire thread, and realizing that a replacement phone will very likely succumb to the same flaw, I'm going to bite the bullet and try to fix myself. I ordered the tools from ifixit.com and will attempt to open the phone and remove the offending piece. Wish me luck!

TofuTwit

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Just got off of the chat with Motorola. They are sending me a replacement for my Moto Maker MotoX due to this grommet issue. I fully expect it to return on the next one too though. =(

But am happy Moto is willing to keep sending out replacements for this issue.

bryanmsi

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Add me to the list. I'm pretty sure it was like this from day one. I KNOW it was like this after a week. It doesn't seem to be impacting the camera images though. I'm not going to mess with a fix until the image quality suffers.

Update - surgery was a success! First, the iFixit directions are pretty good. But their tools aren't so hot. I ordered the kit, including the iOpener. It worked, but barely. Still a lot harder to peel the case off than I expected. Next, they don't include the right star tool. Fortunately I had another toolkit that DID have the right tool.

Anyway. Remove the back. Remove 5 screws from the upper module and it pops right out. The camera is super easy to access. The offending ring is a black thin plastic ring with some adhesive. Its simple to pull off. The hardest part was the volume rocker that fell out on its own but took an amazing amount of hassle to get back in place. And it still feels a little strange but works just fine. Having done it once, I could do it again in 5 min.

So, its a design problem. It will happen to any new or rebuilt phone that has the plastic part. Moto might be happy to give you another device, but odds are you will have the problem again. And again. And again.

If you don't mind a little hands on work, and want to fix it once and for all, I say go for it!!

efstuck

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site

I've had my phone for a year but i really have not used the front facing camera at all. I did just take a peek and it looks to be centered and the camera seems to have no issues. Just chiming in.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

Surprise surprise: I initiated my FFC issue on July 6. After telling me multiple times that they would call me in 48-72 hours (never did), they just emailed me today August 26 to tell me that my case has been escalated, and for me to call them.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

Just bought a developer version and was that way out of the box. I now have a new one and is fine for now.

Posted via the Android Central App

gregba

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
So my 3rd moto x is having the same issue of the grommet slipping on the front facing camera.....any chance they will give me a 2014 edition since this will just keep happening?

originalbryan

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Three phones, geez. There's a chance you'll get a 2014 one. That chance is zero, but it's still a chance ;-)

Vito2000

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

Update - surgery was a success! First, the iFixit directions are pretty good. But their tools aren't so hot. I ordered the kit, including the iOpener. It worked, but barely. Still a lot harder to peel the case off than I expected. Next, they don't include the right star tool. Fortunately I had another toolkit that DID have the right tool.

Anyway. Remove the back. Remove 5 screws from the upper module and it pops right out. The camera is super easy to access. The offending ring is a black thin plastic ring with some adhesive. Its simple to pull off. The hardest part was the volume rocker that fell out on its own but took an amazing amount of hassle to get back in place. And it still feels a little strange but works just fine. Having done it once, I could do it again in 5 min.

I followed your lead and took apart my phone. It was fairly easy to do, but I work as an electronics technician so I am used to this sort of thing. After taking my phone apart I removed the grommet with tweezers and my camera is now obstruction free.

With the grommet removed I'm concerned about dust getting into the space between the camera lens and the face of the phone. I'll just have to keep an eye on that.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

My first Dev one way this way when I received it now my replacement it starting it slip over the camera

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

The grommet is finally covering the top curve of my lens. I'm getting a dark shade along the top of my photos.

preed4962

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

I had my 2013 replaced with a 2014 because of this issue. It was real hassle and took forever and many many follow-up phone calls and persistance. They finally gave me a Moto Maker code. Still havent received a request to return my old one.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63