Moto X has a Green Notification Light!

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Very cool !!! Why is Motorola keeping this hidden? Maybe they will give us menu access to control function in some future update...

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Very cool !!! Why is Motorola keeping this hidden? Maybe they will give us menu access to control function in some future update...

They didn't hide it necessarily. The only function they gave it was as a charging indicator when the battery is so depleted the display can't light up.

They probably figured that active display was more useful for normal notifications.

Posted via Android Central App

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree that the active notifications are more useful, it would just be nice to have some control over its use other than to tell you that your battery is all but dead. For instance, when your phone goes into assist mode when your driving you get a notification (not an active notification). The only way you know it is in assist mode is to unlock the screen. This led would be good to let you know that you're in assist mode while driving without ever having to touch or unlock the the phone. I'm sure there are plenty of ways people could benefit from this led. That's all I'm saying.

Edit, there is a setting for active notification for assist - I just had mine turned off (my bad)... Still I would like the option to use the led in addition to the active display for some functions

Last edited:

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
...when your phone goes into assist mode when your driving you get a notification (not an active notification). The only way you know it is in assist mode is to unlock the screen. This led would be good to let you know that you're in assist mode while driving without ever having to touch or unlock the the phone...

If you go to Settings > Active Display > Manage notification types and check Motorola Assist, the Assist notification still doesn't appear on the Active Display?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If you go to Settings > Active Display > Manage notification types and check Motorola Assist, the Assist notification still doesn't appear on the Active Display?

My mistake - I did not have mine selected. I still like the idea of having some additional functionality with that led. It's a shame just to let it go to waste.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I don't understand the reverence for the notification light. In fact, I relish having one of the few Android devices without it simply because it's different and also, because I find the active display so much better and enjoyable to use

-Moto X-

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I never used the notification led on my phones that had one.That led gets on my nerves blinking on my other phones.:)

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I never used the notification led on my phones that had one.That led gets on my nerves blinking on my other phones.:)

Yes haha, I have found it so pleasing with Active Notif. Maybe I never utilized it, but the blinkling light was just annoying, especially at night, and usually sat there saying "HEY CHECK ME, HEY CHECK ME" like Navi.

SandroidE

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I think that this is the case of 'I don't have it, I want it'...
I got so used to how the X delivers notifications, that every time I have to use another phone, I think to my self 'what?, I have to push a button to see information on the screen?, is not moving the phone enough?'

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
They didn't hide it necessarily.

They didn't hide it at all. It's clear as day right on page 2 of the user's guide that there is a light there. It's pretty hilarious that someone finally took a second to read the user's guide and now the interwebs are all ablaze because the X has a "hidden" LED. It's not like it was buried on page 157 of a 300 page guide its right there on page 2.

anon(7820633)

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Screen Shot 2014-01-09 at 8.27.16 AM.png
They didn't hide it at all. It's clear as day right on page 2 of the user's guide that there is a light there. It's pretty hilarious that someone finally took a second to read the user's guide and now the interwebs are all ablaze because the X has a "hidden" LED. It's not like it was buried on page 157 of a 300 page guide its right there on page 2.

jmettee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site

I've run mine to self-shutdown & have never seen the LED come on when the battery is low. Not that I care about having it or not, but it doesn't seem to even function as a low-battery indicator.

Frankump

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site

Have you found any instructions for using it? Or an explanation as to why it's listed? No. I've had my phone for four months and have never seen the LED, that's why people consider it "hidden".

Chia4444

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
For most who use the phone for business, and specifically those who may have a
Blackberry background, they often see the huge value of the LED, I really miss it.

Active notifications are great, but you generally have to be close to your phone, where
the LED was something that can be seen more easily and at a quick glance.

It would be great if this was a feature we could simply turn on or off at will. My wife
has recently gone from a BB to an iPhone and the missing LED is the single biggest
gripe, she hates having to always pick up the phone and wake it up to see if she missed
anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton