Explain to a foreigner what's so great about the Moto X?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
As a parent, who also [for work reasons] must keep their phone password locked, I cant stress enough how wonderful being able to bypass the lock screen to snap pictures of my kids is. A simple twist of the wrist and I'm snapping pics of my kids or my dogs before they can "stop doing" what ever I ws trying to capture.

the moto assit feature while driving is great as well

SkipLock essentially does the same thing but it works with WiFi too. It's paid but if you really needed it, it's there :)

Posted via Android Central App

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
@Gadget how did you get weather to appear with the time in active notifications?

Sent from my moto x using Tapatalk

I use the 1weather app and it puts it there (also puts it in the status bar at top of screen too) . Not the weather, just the temp. But that's fine. It does put the weather in my drop down notifications though (which I love). I highly recommend it. It's the best weather app I have ever used.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Others have mentioned that with Active Display you can see details of your notifications without turning on the display. I think the larger benefit (battery wise) is that you can see these details without waking the phone. Waking the phone can trigger apps to update and/or sync. If this happens dozens of time per day when all you're really interested in is the time or a recent notification, it can take a toll on battery life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Some great responses here. Thanks for that.

Would have loved to try out the phone. Shame they didn't release it here. Even if it didn't have the customisable cases and accents, would have been interested in it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

Would have loved to try out the phone. Shame they didn't release it here. Even if it didn't have the customisable cases and accents, would have been interested in it.

Motorola does have an announcement scheduled for 14 January. Speculated to be Moto X announcement for areas outside North America. Hopefully Australia and New Zealand will be part of that announcement

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Check Republic wireless, if Sprint is in your area then the Republic Wireless version will work.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I actually think the camera on this thing is better than the galaxy S3. Maybe there was just way too many settings on the s3 and u didn't know how to use it right. but to twist and take a pic almost instantly and to have it look like it does... Wow. I was pleasantly surprised at its performance over the holidays when I was being a little bit of a shutter bug.

And everything everyone else said I 2nd. :)

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X DE

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if anybody mentioned this but "trusted Bluetooth device" is a nice feature that I think is currently unique to the Moto X and the Droids. Allows you to set security lock on your phone but allows the phone's owner to bypass the security lock when paired to a designated Bluetooth device.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if anybody mentioned this but "trusted Bluetooth device" is a nice feature that I think is currently unique to the Moto X and the Droids. Allows you to set security lock on your phone but allows the phone's owner to bypass the security lock when paired to a designated Bluetooth device.
it is unique as a built in app, but as someone else posted, you can buy an app skiplock that will do the same thing as well as allowing you to have a trusted WiFi.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
In addition to all the cool features that would destroy the battery on most any other phone, lots of work was put in to reducing the current required to run the phone. Here's an article where they talk about how low power the display is:

Display on Moto X called groundbreaking by researcher | Mobile - CNET News

So what's really great about the phone is that they put their work into increasing battery life while adding useful features. Most other flagship phones have been designed to have top end processing specs and a bunch of extra features, with battery life being the third priority. The Moto X put battery life a the top of the list, which is something that many people will find advantageous.

terrrrrible

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
The one thing I haven't noticed anyone mention yet, is Motorola Connect. Are there 3rd party apps out there that do the same thing, and that's why it's not a big deal? Does it not work as well as advertised? I completely forgot about this feature when ordering mine, and I'm pretty excited to be able to do that too.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The one thing I haven't noticed anyone mention yet, is Motorola Connect. Are there 3rd party apps out there that do the same thing, and that's why it's not a big deal? Does it not work as well as advertised? I completely forgot about this feature when ordering mine, and I'm pretty excited to be able to do that too.
I think the only people who would find that useful are those who have desk jobs where they aren't supposed to be using their phones at work. If you have a job like that, then I think it would be great unless your employer monitors what you are doing on their computer.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The one thing I haven't noticed anyone mention yet, is Motorola Connect. Are there 3rd party apps out there that do the same thing, and that's why it's not a big deal?

Well, a lot of people have moved on from SMS to other protocols that allow them to text from their desktops and tablets. I mean, there's iMessage, Hangouts, Google Voice, etc. These are popular because lots of people find them useful--look at the popularity of iMessage, after all. Personally, I never use SMS if Hangouts is available to me because I like being able to resume conversations from whatever device I have at my disposal and not rely solely on my phone. Plus, to a lot of people, it's easier to converse over text using a desktop or laptop size keyboard rather than a phone keyboard. Clearly, people find these useful beyond the workplace.

And yes, there are apps that will sync texting between phones, desktops, and tablets.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I will say this.

If future phones do not adopt the unique features of the moto x, I will not even consider them for my next purchase. I do not care what the specs are, I will not even consider it.

I am not going back to a phone that is not always listening or does not have active notifications.

Unless of course there are no phones that can do this two years from now.

Posted via Android Central App

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If future phones do not adopt the unique features of the moto x, I will not even consider them for my next purchase. I do not care what the specs are, I will not even consider it.
they will, you can bet on it. These features will probably be in the OS shortly.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll second what others have said. I bought this phone for the form factor, and I wasn't disappointed. The first thing I thought when I opened the box and picked upt he phone was "this feels nice". It seems silly, but you spend a lot of time holding your phone, and it matters quite a bit to the overall user experience if it feels nice in the hand, and fits in pockets.

I agree that the radios are very good, which also matters quite a lot to me. (YMMV). I am disappointed with the battery life -- but if this is that much better than the leading competion, I guess I'm glad to have it. Honestly, the "always listening" and "active notifications" are gimmicks to me, like the customized colors. Sure, they are nice. But I usually end up needing to touch the phone to use it despite it's listening (I am much more likely to want to navigate to a friend's house than to someplace google can search for, and it doesn't do that) and I don't get a lot of mileage out of the active notification. I wear a watch. Maybe if my phone were my watch I would like it more.

Still, it's a nice package, it is very responsive, the screen looks nice enough (although not as gorgeous as the big flagships) and it is generally pleasant and convenient to use.

mac00l

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
We got the Moto X in Mexico, but not motomaker. Therefore mine is stock black.

I can't stress out how handy active display is. Just pulling your phone out of your pocket and it displaying the time and the notifications without even touching the phone is awesome. And since it only turns on the pixels displaying the information, it saves a lot of energy. Like a lot of people have said, the gesture-based camera launcher is really useful. It allows you to snap pics really fast.

Coming from an iPhone 5, I haven't missed it at all. Paring the Moto X base functions with some more advanced from tasker, turns it into a power user best friend. In paper it is far from being the fastest phone out there, but in real life use, it has never let me down.

The form factor is another big hit. It is the first phone that is comfortable to use with one hand. Using swiftkey is complete pleasure. Incredibly enough it is bigger than my iPhone 5, but my fingers reach all of the screen easier.

Finally you can't beat the price. I got mine for free on contract. Had I choose the iPhone 5S, would have payed $450USD up front. A few years ago the difference between iOS and Android was so big that the price tag was justified, today... iOS might be on par with Android. The only iOS app that I miss big time is Tweetbot, but carbon on the Amoled display of the X is good enough.

All in all, the Moto X is the sum of all of its parts, which makes it a heck of a phone.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
What phone are you coming from? Was it a 4G LTE phone?
It was a Motorola Photon. I guess it had 4G, but it didn't have very good 4G reception, and I always left that off. By the time I replaced it, the battery was old and it only lasted half a day, but when it was new the battery was about the same as this phone. I guess that's not a fair comparison. Maybe I should turn of 4g and see what happens to this one. But my guess is it is mostly screen-time that chews up my battery. I tend to have the phone on a lot during the day for one thing or another.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx