Moto X: Before I call moto tech, what could be wrong with my phone? Frequent app closings?.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
My touchless controls works about 25%-35% of the time now. Often it opens then it closes and gives me an error. Other times unless I am right up next to the phone, like 10 inches away or less, it won?t hear me. Also experiencing other app closings. Going to call moto when I have the time, like 10 hours and lots of patience, lol, but until then, any guesses? It?s been after I downloaded kitkat but I?ve done 2 resets and retrained it a number of times since, but that did not help.

Last edited by a moderator:

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Before I call moto tech, what could be wrong with my phone? Frequent app closings?.

Just to make sure, have you installed the latest touchless control update.from the store?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Before I call moto tech, what could be wrong with my phone? Frequent app closings?.

Also, think back to any changes you may have made right before this started. Any new app you installed?

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Also, think back to any changes you may have made right before this started. Any new app you installed?

I did install before my reset a voice assistant app that allowed for reading my texts allowed when they arrived. But before I did that o downloaded KitKat and that's when it started, it just seemed hard of hearing. After that I downloaded the app I mentioned and it didn't work for what i wanted so i deleted it. After that I did a full reset and asked it not to sync anything but when I go into some setting I see that app still be linked into my phone somehow. I did another reset. Asked it again to sync nothing and lo and behold the assistant voice app is still in some weird setting. (Can't find it to say at the moment what what that setting is). That's the only thing I can think of.

Posted via Android Central App

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Just to make sure, have you installed the latest touchless control update.from the store?

Yeah. I checked that and it said already installed.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I did install before my reset an app that allowed for reading my texts allowed when they arrived. But before I did that o downloaded KitKat and that's when it started, it just seemed hard of hearing. After that I downloaded the app I mentioned and it didn't work for what i wanted so i deleted it. After that I did a full reset and asked it not to sync anything but when I go into some setting I see that app still be linked into my phone somehow. I did another reset. Asked it again to sync nothing and lo and behold the assistant voice app is still in some weird setting. (Can't find it to say at the moment what what that setting is). That's the only thing I can think of.

It sounds like some residue of that app got stuck in your phone. I wonder if a system cache clearing could be done (although I'd be scared to, myself), but the factory resets should have done the trick. That sounds like it could be the problem though. You downloaded the update that was mentioned also?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

It sounds like some residue of that app got stuck in your phone. I wonder if a system cache clearing could be done (although I'd be scared to, myself), but the factory resets should have done the trick. That sounds like it could be the problem though. You downloaded the update that was mentioned also?

when i went to check the update it said it was already installed. And yeah, it's like the reset, even done twice, even asking it in every possible place to not sync anything, did not actually reset my device back to factory, OR they are just kidding when you hit the do not sync s--t onto my phone. lol. I am guessing it's the latter. I'm so frustrated. If i didn't have purchased apps i would just reset and start a new google account just for my phone so it stops doing stuff like that. :(. i am really frustrated. :(. I know if i reinstalled my o/s on my computer it would be clean, i guess a factory reset does not leave things as clean? And if it is the syncing thing, does that mean even if i were to get a brand new phone, i would run into the same issue as soon as I added my regular google account to my phone?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I don't know, I'm not sure if all the data syncs. I guess that makes sense but you mentioned reset and that gave me an idea. Try resetting apps, Settings, Apps, Menu Button, Reset Preferences. It just might work. Hope so.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I don't know, I'm not sure if all the data syncs. I guess that makes sense but you mentioned reset and that gave me an idea. Try resetting apps, Settings, Apps, Menu Button, Reset Preferences. It just might work. Hope so.

won't reset preferences take it back to default? i'm pretty sure defaults are set to do lots of syncing. I remember having to turn everything off, not on. I'll give it a shot anyway though.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

won't reset preferences take it back to default? i'm pretty sure defaults are set to do lots of syncing. I remember having to turn everything off, not on. I'll give it a shot anyway though.

I don't know because the only syncing that's causing me problems is with Google Drive. I haven't bothered about it before. But since your phone is already still not working right I'd give it a try.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

You can very quickly turn off sync again in Accounts, Data. I'm guessing it didn't work though. Hoped it would.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

You can very quickly turn off sync again in Accounts, Data. I'm guessing it didn't work though. Hoped it would.

The only reason for this issue that syncing is an issue is if that voice assistant app was the one causing the issue. But at this point, lol, i don't think i can ever get rid whatever residual is left there because somehow it's still connected with my phone. Although i can't seem to find it now, but that's because it is just in some random place that i kept happening upon that i can't seem to come up with right now. Not that app, but in some setting somewhere it had it noted as being on my account even after 2 resets. If any of that makes sense. lol.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

The only reason for this issue that syncing is an issue is if that voice assistant app was the one causing the issue. But at this point, lol, i don't think i can ever get rid whatever residual is left there because somehow it's still connected with my phone. Although i can't seem to find it now, but that's because it is just in some random place that i kept happening upon that i can't seem to come up with right now. Not that app, but in some setting somewhere it had it noted as being on my account even after 2 resets. If any of that makes sense. lol.

Hi, yes it makes sense. It was still associated somehow. Hopefully it won't turn up again. But the Moto X features still aren't working right?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Hi, yes it makes sense. It was still associated somehow. Hopefully it won't turn up again. But the Moto X features still aren't working right?

Yeah, the voiceless controls are still wonky. I have to speak quite loud for it to hear me. This morning I asked it for the forecast. It was all:whatever. lol. So i moved closer and spoke louder and it answered. And i had an app closing this morning, can't remember what it was, possibly a Team Lava online game. Those close often.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

So do a factory reset, as far as I can tell in you confusing post you have not done that. Also someone noted that you hold phone at arms length when training touch less control voice. Chris

Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

So do a factory reset, as far as I can tell in you confusing post you have not done that. Also someone noted that you hold phone at arms length when training touch less control voice. Chris

No, they did a few factory resets. But good for me to know how to "get started" on my phone's OK Google voice stuff. I have had mixed results with that so far.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I mention it like 4 times. lol.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

Do you use bluetooth? I do and that interferes with the touchless controls/always listening.

Also, the voice recognition uses data so if I am some where that I am not getting a good data connection, I get an error. I have dead spots in my house and yard where this happens.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
For me, touchless controls was much much better in 4.2 than it is on kit kat. I get, "can't reach Google at this moment" errors and it seems much harder for it to get all my words correctly.

I have found if you are getting mixed results though that it's often in the training portion of activation that needs to be worked out.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your phone. The latest Google search update that came with 4.4 sucks in my book.

I'm looking forward to the 4.4.2 update where I'm expecting them to have cleaned up several of these quirks and that's what the extra wait is for on this update.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm looking forward to the 4.4.2 update where I'm expecting them to have cleaned up several of these quirks and that's what the extra wait is for on this update.
Kit kat caused problems with bluetooth, too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance