01-24-2014 03:10 PM
65 123
tools
    Well be under no illusions guys, this thing will burn in. Especially if you play games that don't go full screen and leave the software buttons up. I can tell mine with a white background, and I've only had this puppy for around 2 months.

I've been running an app on my GNEX at night called "Screen Burn-In Tool" to see if it does any good, and in probably 200 hours of use, it hasn't done much. Granted, this is severe burn in. Like a strip of purple against a background where the software buttons are. I will say this, if you think your screen is fine. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT.... one more time, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT download one of those apps because if you have a small amount of burn in you didn't notice before, you'll notice it now and it'll drive you BATTY.

Posted via Android Central App
    But how long have you had it? I'm willing to wager your burn in is from the blue icons which are gone now nothing else should remain on a normal humans screen long enough for burn in

Ex Mortuus via XT1056
    01-18-2014 08:15 AM
    Well, that answers my question... I think I'll go for the Nexus 5.
    That just one account of burn in. I have never had the issue over my 2 and half months time as a Moto X owner. I think that is a rare case to be honest. Never have heard someone mention screen burn in as an issue with the Moto X. If you think though the Nexus 5 will be better for you in your day to day life then go ahead and get it. Its your money.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App
    01-18-2014 10:01 AM
    The only thing that made me buy Moto X is the Touchless Control. That's it.
    01-19-2014 04:33 AM
    Is touchless control heavily reliant on data connectivity? do i need to be on a plan or some sort to enjoy or use this feature?
    01-19-2014 11:10 AM
    Is touchless control heavily reliant on data connectivity? do i need to be on a plan or some sort to enjoy or use this feature?
    Not at all.

01-19-2014 12:41 PM
    Not at all.

Incorrect. A data connection is required for voice recognition.
    A895 likes this.
    01-19-2014 12:47 PM
    Not at all.

Wrong unfortunately. You need data.

01-19-2014 12:53 PM
    Incorrect. A data connection is required for voice recognition.
    Wrong unfortunately. You need data.

But that wasn't the whole question....the question was is touchless control heavily reliant on data connectivity?

Well no, not heavily...guess that depends on how much you use it. Also, you don't need a data plan at all if you only ever use it on WiFi. So, the answer to this question really depends on how a user uses it.
    01-19-2014 08:19 PM
    But that wasn't the whole question....the question was is touchless control heavily reliant on data connectivity?

Well no, not heavily...guess that depends on how much you use it. Also, you don't need a data plan at all if you only ever use it on WiFi. So, the answer to this question really depends on how a user uses it.
    Well it needs some kind of data connection to work.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    01-20-2014 12:15 AM
    I couldn't quickly find anything on exactly how much data Google Now (which is what powers the voice commands) uses, but I did find some info on Siri, which is a similar setup. Apparently Siri uses about 63 kb per query, on average*.

*Source: “Siri, how much data do you gobble up in a month?” Ars investigates | Ars Technica
    01-20-2014 02:24 AM
    Well, that answers my question... I think I'll go for the Nexus 5.
    Your Nexus 5 will get it too. Any AMOLED will get it at some point.

01-20-2014 10:36 AM
    Your Nexus 5 will get it too. Any AMOLED will get it at some point.

I'm under the impression that the N5 is an IPS display.

• 4.95” 1920x1080 display (445 ppi)
      • Full HD IPS
      • Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    01-20-2014 10:43 AM
    But how long have you had it? I'm willing to wager your burn in is from the blue icons which are gone now nothing else should remain on a normal humans screen long enough for burn in

Ex Mortuus via XT1056
    My first GNex I had for 11 months. My second I still have. Both started showing signs of burn in within a couple months. I got my GNex about a week after the KitKat rollout on Verizon. The burn in I'm talking about is mainly from the soft keys. On my GNex, it's from the blue clock, etc, in the notification bar. You can see the time burned in at the top in my first picture. Black, on an AMOLED, is all the diodes being off. White is having red green and blue all on. Blue WILL burn out faster than red and green. It just is what it is at this point. What this means is that with time, your whites are going to be less "white" on the portions of your screen that don't have soft keys. An example is GMail. It's a white background. Everything is white except for your text and the black bar your soft keys are rocking. Your blue diodes on that white portion of the screen are burning out faster than where your soft keys are, because they're off at the bottom of the screen.

Because your blues are wearing unevenly on your screen, the result is "burn in". What I'm saying is that I already see that from the soft keys on the MotoX against pure white or pure blue backgrounds.

It comes down to use. If you've had your phone for 3 years and you have your screen on for 20 minutes a day, you haven't used it as much as the person that had had it for a year @ 3 hours of screen on time a day. X # of years can be an erroneous figure.

Edited to remove stupidity.

01-20-2014 10:49 AM
    I'm under the impression that the N5 is an IPS display.

• 4.95 1920x1080 display (445 ppi)
      • Full HD IPS
      • Corning Gorilla Glass 3
    Crap, you're right. I had a brain fart.

01-20-2014 10:51 AM
    That just one account of burn in. I have never had the issue over my 2 and half months time as a Moto X owner. I think that is a rare case to be honest. Never have heard someone mention screen burn in as an issue with the Moto X. If you think though the Nexus 5 will be better for you in your day to day life then go ahead and get it. Its your money.

I have seen burn in on mine after only a month of use and it has never seen anything but KitKat. It is very faint, but you can see the outline of the notification bar and the area where the soft keys are. This is only noticeable on a white background. Particularly when you reboot the phone and see the Moto/Verizon animation or when using Play Books. This is completely unacceptable after only a month. I would understand a year in, but not this quick. It isn't THAT bad to where you can't use the phone, but it definitely doesn't make me think this phone is going to have much longevity.
    01-24-2014 03:10 PM
65 123