Questions about the Moto X???

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Well be under no illusions guys, this thing will burn in. Especially if you play games that don't go full screen and leave the software buttons up. I can tell mine with a white background, and I've only had this puppy for around 2 months.

I've been running an app on my GNEX at night called "Screen Burn-In Tool" to see if it does any good, and in probably 200 hours of use, it hasn't done much. Granted, this is severe burn in. Like a strip of purple against a background where the software buttons are. I will say this, if you think your screen is fine. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT.... one more time, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT download one of those apps because if you have a small amount of burn in you didn't notice before, you'll notice it now and it'll drive you BATTY.

Posted via Android Central App

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Well be under no illusions guys, this thing will burn in. Especially if you play games that don't go full screen and leave the software buttons up. I can tell mine with a white background, and I've only had this puppy for around 2 months.

I've been running an app on my GNEX at night called "Screen Burn-In Tool" to see if it does any good, and in probably 200 hours of use, it hasn't done much. Granted, this is severe burn in. Like a strip of purple against a background where the software buttons are. I will say this, if you think your screen is fine. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT.... one more time, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT download one of those apps because if you have a small amount of burn in you didn't notice before, you'll notice it now and it'll drive you BATTY.

This is a problem. I understand these screens can have burn in, but it shouldn't happen in two months. A year or so? Ok. But two months is bad. And I'd hope Moto would do something about that.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
This is a problem. I understand these screens can have burn in, but it shouldn't happen in two months. A year or so? Ok. But two months is bad. And I'd hope Moto would do something about that.

This is a problem for some. As noted by KWKSLVR, he has this issue quickly on every AMOLED device.
I, OTOH, had the GNex for 2 years and now have the Moto X for 2 months and there's no sign of burn-in on either of my devices.
I do not discount the KWKSLVR, but I think his statement should be ammended "Well be under no illusions guys. If you use your device like I do, this thing will burn in."

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This is a problem for some. As noted by KWKSLVR, he has this issue quickly on every AMOLED device.
I, OTOH, had the GNex for 2 years and now have the Moto X for 2 months and there's no sign of burn-in on either of my devices.
I do not discount the KWKSLVR, but I think his statement should be ammended "Well be under no illusions guys. If you use your device like I do, this thing will burn in."
I don't do anything different than anyone else, at least not with my MX. The only thing I do for an extended amount of time is play a little Ingress, and the entire background is black. KitKat helps with that a little now that the black bar is missing at the bottom on your home screen, but nothing changes what's going on in your notification bar (and yes, the white up there is a big improvement over blue). Attached is a picture of my GNex, bear in mind, it's my second one and was in use for about 7 months before getting my MX. My MotoX already shows signs of it, but it's too faint (luckily) to pick up with a camera. So, unless you don't use your screen, burn in is going to happen. The degree in which you notice it depends on what you're doing. ;)

There is no fixing it. It's just the nature of the technology. The blue diodes burn out faster than red and green, period. The best thing you can do is try to cut down on the amount of time that you have that awesome black bar up against a white background. The first time I ever noticed burn in on my GNex was watching Netflix. Use your phone long enough, and it will happen. If you don't do anything to notice it, then you'll happily think you don't have it and there's nothing wrong with that. ;) IMG_20140117_240534880.jpgIMG_20140117_242936287.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140117_240534880.jpg
    IMG_20140117_240534880.jpg
    687.8 KB · Views: 25

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't do anything different than anyone else, at least not with my MX.

Massive Snip

If you don't do anything to notice it, then you'll happily think you don't have it and there's nothing wrong with that. ;)

I'm willing to concede that maybe you're just unlucky. You've had this issue within months on multiple devices while multiple others in this thread have not in multiple years.
I've done everything possible to notice the issue and simply don't have it on either of the devices you report.
I only took exception to the assertion that everyone will have it.
I'm only pointing out that "will" should be "may"

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah from the reviews everyone likes the feel of the phone, i hope I feel the same, I'm hopefully gna buy this phone because of the feel mainly(and active notifications)

A question for you, i know the moto x is smaller than the nexus 5 from the specs, but how much smaller is it really, I'd life it if it was substantial, i miss the size of small phones

Traded a N5 for a G. Traded that for an X.
Keeping the X.
Nuf said.

SIMMMONS

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

Well, that answers my question... I think I'll go for the Nexus 5.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Right - Screen burn in is unacceptable to me in any form. It reminds me of the old black (gray) and white CRT touch screens they used at the library in the 80s to replace card catalogs.

mattjopete

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
So lately I've been thinking about buying a Moto X but I still have some doubts about the phone that are the only thing stopping me from getting it:

1. [*]burn in: does it get a burn in easily? My current phone doesn't have an OLED display so I don't know how bad it can get. And if it does, can it be 100% fixed with apps like Screen Burn-in Tool?
    [*]future proof: I'm planning on keeping this phone for at least 18 months. Since the Moto X is, technically, a dual-core phone (and yes, I know about X8), I'm worried about it not being able to handle heavier apps in the future.
    [*]display: is the screen good? I'm deciding between the Nexus 5 and the Moto X and this is important to me. The Nexus 5 has a 1080p screen and 441ppi screen while the Moto X has a 720p and 316ppi. So my question would be is it a huge difference or not?
    [*]updates: do you think it will keep getting updates from Google? I know it will stop getting them at some point, but how long until it stops?

1. Not that I have noticed on my wife's phone. Though I will say her display (display not glass) straight up broke earlier this week for seemingly no reason which we just got a new Moto Maker device today for free because of it.
2. This phone really is quite responsive for being "only" a dual core. I really think most any phone since the Snapdragon S4 came out is plenty fast for most uses. That said, my Nexus 5 is noticably faster when compared side by side. Unless you are side by side you won't likely notice a difference though.
3. Personally I think it is oversaturated when compared to my Nexus. I think its a little better than my old Samsung SII though. You really won't notice too much of a resolution drop going from a 1080P screen down to the 720P of the Moto X. The battery savings for this are more than worth it.
4. I hope Moto will keep it updated, that has been my problem with any non Nexus for a while. However, I think its becoming less and less of a big deal as Android matures and I think Moto will be better now that they are under Google's roof. I care more that it works right than if it is newest.

Ex_Mortuus

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site

But how long have you had it? I'm willing to wager your burn in is from the blue icons which are gone now nothing else should remain on a normal humans screen long enough for burn in

Ex Mortuus via XT1056

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

That just one account of burn in. I have never had the issue over my 2 and half months time as a Moto X owner. I think that is a rare case to be honest. Never have heard someone mention screen burn in as an issue with the Moto X. If you think though the Nexus 5 will be better for you in your day to day life then go ahead and get it. Its your money.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Incorrect. A data connection is required for voice recognition.

Wrong unfortunately. You need data.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

But that wasn't the whole question....the question was is touchless control heavily reliant on data connectivity?

Well no, not heavily...guess that depends on how much you use it. Also, you don't need a data plan at all if you only ever use it on WiFi. So, the answer to this question really depends on how a user uses it.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
But that wasn't the whole question....the question was is touchless control heavily reliant on data connectivity?

Well no, not heavily...guess that depends on how much you use it. Also, you don't need a data plan at all if you only ever use it on WiFi. So, the answer to this question really depends on how a user uses it.

Well it needs some kind of data connection to work.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech