01-23-2014 03:24 PM
68 123
tools
    I think App Data sync is for backing up various app data to your Google account, as designated in the Settings/Backup & Restore menu.

People Details is likely all of the information for your Contacts--I'd keep that synced.

I keep the Facebook app set to manual refresh. It's easy enough for me to swipe down to refresh, and it will always refresh once automatically upon opening the app.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-11-2014 08:08 PM
    I think App Data sync is for backing up various app data to your Google account, as designated in the Settings/Backup & Restore menu.

People Details is likely all of the information for your Contacts--I'd keep that synced.

I keep the Facebook app set to manual refresh. It's easy enough for me to swipe down to refresh, and it will always refresh once automatically upon opening the app.

It just dawned on me, but why in the world would I need Facebook to automatically refresh when I'm not using it?? This seems kinda silly. I changed it to refresh "never". That's an easy one there! Especially considering, like you said, the app refreshes once you open it!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-11-2014 08:15 PM
    It just dawned on me, but why in the world would I need Facebook to automatically refresh when I'm not using it?? This seems kinda silly. I changed it to refresh "never". That's an easy one there! Especially considering, like you said, the app refreshes once you open it!
    Yeah, I have everything set to manual. Otherwise I'm constantly getting notifications for stuff I don't need. Should help with the drain. Let us know how it goes

01-11-2014 08:23 PM
    Thanks, everybody!
    B. Diddy and Postoid like this.
    01-11-2014 08:28 PM
    So, I've been running GSam Battery app since yesterday evening. Gave it until this morning to gather some data. Went into "view kernel wakelocks" and alarm_rtc is showing at the top of the list. Does this mean anything, or is this a normal reading?
    Attached Thumbnails Moto X: Idle battery drain-screenshot_2014-01-12-08-23-33.png  
    01-12-2014 12:44 PM
    So, I've been running GSam Battery app since yesterday evening. Gave it until this morning to gather some data. Went into "view kernel wakelocks" and alarm_rtc is showing at the top of the list. Does this mean anything, or is this a normal reading?
    It's not necessarily 'abnormal'...here's a decent link for a description of alarm_rtc and a lot of info to help you with all kinds of battery analysis.

Battery Drain? Wakelocks?Find out what is using your battery when sleeping | Android Does

HTH.
    cvo515 and UJ95x like this.
    01-12-2014 07:46 PM
    BTW, Greenify now works without root, but with small inconveniences.
    01-12-2014 10:44 PM
    Mine was working fine. Even after the kitkat update, then all of the sudden it started getting really bad yesterday. It finished charging at 10am and by 4pm was down to 60% with virtually no use. I only checked the weather a couple of times and looked at my texts once or twice.

I've only installed one or two apps. And I haven't even gotten around to doing much or setting up much on the phone yet. I do live in a very rural area though with poor signal. And because of that I usually stay on WiFi when I'm at home (for my email and web browsing). Does searching for signal and/or WiFi have a major effect on battery life? Is there anything else I can do?

I'm pretty bummed because I was really excited about the good battery life with this phone and now it looks like I'm going to have to charge once or twice a day just like I did with my electrify2. And I am a very light user so I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    01-13-2014 07:54 AM
    I was having the same issue where the battery was draining and I did 3 things to solve it:

1) turned of location reporting
    2) went into multiple apps and turned off "use location" -- you would be surprised how many apps that you would never think would need location use it (I even turned it off in my weather app and set the location manually there)
    3) turned off facebook notifications (I'm fine manually refreshing this app)

Now my battery easily lasts 24 hours, and before it was a struggle to get it to last about 16.
    01-13-2014 07:54 AM
    Still can't figure out what is going on. I have location reporting off, and I haven't even installed Facebook. In fact, the only app I have installed so far is a weather app.

At first it was saying Android OS was using the most battery. I did a reboot and now it keeps showing that the screen is using 60%, and everything else is very low percentages. My phone is mostly idle. Any ideas?
    01-13-2014 04:20 PM
    If you go into the Developer Options menu and then click on Process Stats, you can see what's using the most CPU. That will give you a good indication of what is using the battery.
    01-13-2014 04:27 PM
    Still can't figure out what is going on. I have location reporting off, and I haven't even installed Facebook. In fact, the only app I have installed so far is a weather app.

At first it was saying Android OS was using the most battery. I did a reboot and now it keeps showing that the screen is using 60%, and everything else is very low percentages. My phone is mostly idle. Any ideas?
    That's a good thing. That means that the phone is only using up the battery when the screen is on. The OS and Google services aren't keeping the phone awake
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-13-2014 05:25 PM
    I did a reboot and now it keeps showing that the screen is using 60%, and everything else is very low percentages. My phone is mostly idle. Any ideas?
    The 60% doesn't really mean much unless we know how much battery has actually been used. What was your battery level at when you saw this figure? If the battery was at 95%, that means the screen was responsible for 3% of the total battery usage.
    01-13-2014 09:04 PM
    Hey, just wondering did you figure out a fix? I have had my phone for about a month and a half and the battery life is terrible. I've tried it twice where I check the phone after 8 hours of sleep and I always lose 30% if the phone isn't plugged in. Do you guys think that it could be a faulty battery? My phone never lasts longer than max 13 or 14 hours and it constantly drains. I always close an app after I use it too so I don't get why its bad.
    01-13-2014 10:43 PM
    Hey, just wondering did you figure out a fix? I have had my phone for about a month and a half and the battery life is terrible. I've tried it twice where I check the phone after 8 hours of sleep and I always lose 30% if the phone isn't plugged in. Do you guys think that it could be a faulty battery? My phone never lasts longer than max 13 or 14 hours and it constantly drains. I always close an app after I use it too so I don't get why its bad.
    Welcome to Android Central! Just to clarify, you do have a Moto X, correct?
    01-13-2014 11:13 PM
    Thank you! Yes, I have the 16gb model of the Moto X.
    01-14-2014 09:18 AM
    Thank you! Yes, I have the 16gb model of the Moto X.
    Download the app he recommended above. GSam battery monitor. It'll tell you what's using up the battery and preventing it from "sleeping"

01-14-2014 11:03 AM
    cool thanks! I downloaded the app so ill see what happens!
    01-14-2014 03:04 PM
    Are you in a sketchy cell phone service area? That may account for at least some of it. I easily am getting 20-24 hours of life with around 5-5.5 hours of screen time depending how much I am using it and what apps I am using. I should note that I have not upgraded to Kit Kat yet, so that may be a factor as well because it seems like some people have issues with battery life after updating.
    01-15-2014 02:18 AM
    Based on the online discussions I've seen (various forums and G+), it seems that the problem with idle battery drain affects a significant number of users. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a definitive fix for everyone. What might work to resolve this on one device might not work on another, even if the devices are identical. The "recipe" that has (so far) resolved the problem on my Moto X involved disabling a lot of location-based features or services. This included the device-locator features of Android Device Manager and Motorola Support. I've applied the same changes to my Nexus 7 2012 and I still get drain, even after a factory reset.

The best thing I can suggest is do your homework and make *small* changes and observe the results. It takes patience but in the end, you'll hopefully end up with a good balance between battery life and functionality.
    01-15-2014 01:35 PM
    I've disabled nearly everything, gonna look for hidden processes. I also shut off Motorola Assist (nagware!)
    01-15-2014 01:51 PM
    Funny how some have no problems. On both of our M.X's we have everything enabled except automatic updates on most all apps. Touch less Control, assist, active display, GPS on and have no battery issues. Also sync lots of gmail. It has to be a miss behaving app. Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    01-15-2014 02:21 PM
    Only problem I'm having during idle is the wifi will not automatically turn it's self off like I have it set to do. I don't have have a problem with doing this manually, but when I have it set to only stay on while charging, I'd like for it to work.

01-15-2014 02:29 PM
    Will there is another point. I have two WiFi routers at home that are 60 some feet a part, one in the office and one in the family room. I only turn on WiFi while doing app updates!

We have a LTE tower across the channel from the house, like a 1/4 to 1/2 mile, so have super good cell reception.

We have been in Maui for 19 days, still great battery life. Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    01-15-2014 02:49 PM
    For people on Wi-fi and heavy idle battery drain, have you compared your awake times with and without Wi-fi. Something about the wifi at work and at home always kept waking up my device. When I turned it off, my phone slept like a baby. Not all wifi networks seem created equal. When I visit my friend, turning on Wifi saves my battery instead. Right now, I'm staring at 17.5 hrs off charger, 41% left, 1.5 hrs screen on time. LTE all day.
    01-15-2014 05:06 PM
68 123