01-23-2014 04:24 PM
68 123
tools
    Hi all, just wanted to get some opinions on my situation......I have a moto x for a few weeks, updated to kit kat. While I'm not experiencing drastic idle battery drain like some people, I am experiencing something strange. I have a stock moto x, no 3rd party apps installed at all. I don't use the phone much, manually check email a few times a day, surf the web maybe half hour a day.
    I have everything optional turned off...wifi, bluetooth, auto synching off, data off, Motorola Assist off, location services off (unchecked), GPS off. The only thing I have activated is active display. The phone basically can just be used for calls and texts.
    What I'm finding is with this setting I get great stand by time at night...from 7PM to 7AM (span of 12 hours), I will only lose about 4% battery...which is awesome! However, from about 9AM-6PM, (span of about 9 hours), I will lose about 12% with the phone on the same settings. Signal reception is great both at night and during the day. Android OS is taking the most battery % ~25-30%. I've had other cell phones (Sony) using gingerbread and ice cream sandwich which never had Android OS in the battery stats ever! Phone idle and Cell Standby would be at the top of battery usage normally, but with the Moto x it's Android OS. And I'm using this phone exactly the same as my previous phones...no change in behavior. Again, I know it's not crazy idle battery drain like some have, but was just curious as to what might be using more battery during the day than at night.
    Will Gsam battery monitor help figure this out? Does the app breakdown what Android OS usage is? I'm just super curious as to what it could be. Thanks!
    01-16-2014 01:29 PM
    Hi all, just wanted to get some opinions on my situation......I have a moto x for a few weeks, updated to kit kat. While I'm not experiencing drastic idle battery drain like some people, I am experiencing something strange. I have a stock moto x, no 3rd party apps installed at all. I don't use the phone much, manually check email a few times a day, surf the web maybe half hour a day.
    I have everything optional turned off...wifi, bluetooth, auto synching off, data off, Motorola Assist off, location services off (unchecked), GPS off. The only thing I have activated is active display. The phone basically can just be used for calls and texts.
    What I'm finding is with this setting I get great stand by time at night...from 7PM to 7AM (span of 12 hours), I will only lose about 4% battery...which is awesome! However, from about 9AM-6PM, (span of about 9 hours), I will lose about 12% with the phone on the same settings. Signal reception is great both at night and during the day. Android OS is taking the most battery % ~25-30%. I've had other cell phones (Sony) using gingerbread and ice cream sandwich which never had Android OS in the battery stats ever! Phone idle and Cell Standby would be at the top of battery usage normally, but with the Moto x it's Android OS. And I'm using this phone exactly the same as my previous phones...no change in behavior. Again, I know it's not crazy idle battery drain like some have, but was just curious as to what might be using more battery during the day than at night.
    Will Gsam battery monitor help figure this out? Does the app breakdown what Android OS usage is? I'm just super curious as to what it could be. Thanks!
    Well, you probably use your phone more during the day then at night unless you are a graveyard shift worker. So might that have something to do with it?
    01-16-2014 02:46 PM
    Manually turned off my wifi last night before bed, along with mobile data, and sync. Woke up with 87% battery remaining after 10 hours of zero use. Wifi had somehow turned itself on as well. It was on 4 of the 10 sleep hours. Not sure what could've turned it on.

Losing 13% battery after 10 hours isn't that bad though to me.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-16-2014 04:22 PM
    Well, you probably use your phone more during the day then at night unless you are a graveyard shift worker. So might that have something to do with it?
    Nope, when I am at work, my phone is usually sitting on my desk, idle (again, everything switched off, even data). If I leave it idle from say 9AM to 1PM and then check it, it will drain like 5%...not a big deal...but during a 7 hour span at night, the battery might drain 1 or 2 % max.
    A895 likes this.
    01-17-2014 12:42 PM
    Manually turned off my wifi last night before bed, along with mobile data, and sync. Woke up with 87% battery remaining after 10 hours of zero use. Wifi had somehow turned itself on as well. It was on 4 of the 10 sleep hours. Not sure what could've turned it on.

Losing 13% battery after 10 hours isn't that bad though to me.

Posted via Android Central App
    That's not bad...I'm just curious in my situation...in standby, battery drains much more during the day than at night for some reason, even though the phone is sitting there idle.
    01-17-2014 12:44 PM
    That's not bad...I'm just curious in my situation...in standby, battery drains much more during the day than at night for some reason, even though the phone is sitting there idle.
    Facebook, probably. That combined with location services.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    01-17-2014 01:46 PM
    Stronger signal at home at night than at work during the day would be my guess.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    01-17-2014 01:56 PM
    Facebook, probably. That combined with location services.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
    I have no 3rd party apps installed at all...don't have facebook....location services are off
    01-17-2014 03:23 PM
    Stronger signal at home at night than at work during the day would be my guess.
    I may test this out...however, usually when I do check my phone, it has full bars...strange....but you never know.
    01-17-2014 03:26 PM
    Hey, no I have roughly 4-5 bars on average with a good LTE connection and I still haven't upgraded to kit kat because it's not available with fido yet (in Canada). That's crazy that you get 20-24 hours! Right now as Im typing this I have 25% left and its been on for 11 hours. Yesterday I had to charge it early in the evening because it died. You're also right, I have noticed that some people have bad battery life while others don't. O well. It's my first android (just switched from iPhone) and it's an amazing phone (minus the battery)! But I'll try turning off some of the features that people are suggesting.

Thanks for the reply!
    01-17-2014 07:30 PM
    Nope, when I am at work, my phone is usually sitting on my desk, idle (again, everything switched off, even data). If I leave it idle from say 9AM to 1PM and then check it, it will drain like 5%...not a big deal...but during a 7 hour span at night, the battery might drain 1 or 2 % max.
    Workplaces are often different environments than home full of computers with electrical interference to cut through, big thick walls that cell phones have a tough time penetrating, not to mention using different cell towers then what you might be hitting at home. So tell me what your phone does at home during the day on your days off. Then we will have an Apples to Apples comparison.

Unless you are working from home. Then it's a completely different story.
    01-17-2014 08:16 PM
    I'm losing about 2% an hour myself. I don't find this troubling at all. My Nexus 5 loses about 2.5-3 an hour with franco kernel and undervolting.

My X is competely stock. Never installed Facebook. Location is set to High Accuracy (I want to USE my phone).

I don't think the idle is bad at all, and I actually went over 30 hours with about an hour screen-on time. Wi-Fi at work, LTE at home (on purpose). Even made a couple of 5-10 minute phone calls during this period.
    01-18-2014 01:17 AM
    In case this helps anyone, I had some big idle drain overnight (about 20% or more in 8 hrs) initially, though strangely, regular use battery was pretty good. But I read somewhere that sometimes the battery isn't properly 'calibrated' so it drains faster. Let the phone drain completely to 0% and shut off. Then charge it to max while it is off. After that, you should be good. I did it once and it worked for me. Battery drains very minimally overnight, and overall battery performance is awesome.
    01-18-2014 10:34 PM
    I am curious, do most of you have a good solid LTE connection and within the battery area your mobile signal is green? I have posted elsewhere, but with Verizon, I barely can get green according to the indicator and not sure if it is just the signal and area itself or actually the phone.
    01-19-2014 12:15 PM
    I am curious, do most of you have a good solid LTE connection and within the battery area your mobile signal is green? I have posted elsewhere, but with Verizon, I barely can get green according to the indicator and not sure if it is just the signal and area itself or actually the phone.
    At work in very specific areas that I go I do not have good LTE signal, but I use wifi there. Once I leave the parking lot my signal is generally good.
    01-19-2014 03:16 PM
    Our place is within 300 yards of a brand new cell tower and we get solid green signal bars on all our phones and as a result never have poor battery life with everything turned on...except wi-fi...never use it since we all have unlimited data.

Life is good!
    01-19-2014 11:11 PM
    Workplaces are often different environments than home full of computers with electrical interference to cut through, big thick walls that cell phones have a tough time penetrating, not to mention using different cell towers then what you might be hitting at home. So tell me what your phone does at home during the day on your days off. Then we will have an Apples to Apples comparison.

Unless you are working from home. Then it's a completely different story.
    OK, I finally figured it out. It is signal strength that is causing it. When I'm at work, even though the phone has excellent reception when I unlock it {full bars}, if I move it an inch, the reception gets worse to none, then back to full again...This has to be it because this doesn't happen at home. I've had it home for the past 4 days at home and the battery drainage is consistent. Android OS is now down to 12-18% of battery. Under battery use- cell standby, it will note time without a signal, however, I guess when the phone searches for a signal, the Android OS gets used a lot to search for the signal. I've never experienced this with any other Android phone I've owned. Android OS was always at the bottom of the list in battery usage regardless of bad or good signal reception.

For those of you that have high Android OS usage on the battery AND you can't determine if a rogue app is the cause, look at your signal strength and also the percentage of time without a signal (under cell standby %). This is probably the cause of the high Android OS percentage of battery. I thought I was getting great reception at work...but the % of time without a signal tells a different tale.
    01-23-2014 01:27 PM
    I skimmed the thread but I had a similar battery issue after the last update. Turns out it changed my email sync to PUSH instead of the 30 minute interval I had set before. It made a big difference after I changed it. Maybe this will help, maybe not.. worth trying.
    01-23-2014 04:24 PM
68 123