Moto X: Idle battery drain

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey, just wondering did you figure out a fix? I have had my phone for about a month and a half and the battery life is terrible. I've tried it twice where I check the phone after 8 hours of sleep and I always lose 30% if the phone isn't plugged in. Do you guys think that it could be a faulty battery? My phone never lasts longer than max 13 or 14 hours and it constantly drains. I always close an app after I use it too so I don't get why its bad.

Are you in a sketchy cell phone service area? That may account for at least some of it. I easily am getting 20-24 hours of life with around 5-5.5 hours of screen time depending how much I am using it and what apps I am using. I should note that I have not upgraded to Kit Kat yet, so that may be a factor as well because it seems like some people have issues with battery life after updating.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Based on the online discussions I've seen (various forums and G+), it seems that the problem with idle battery drain affects a significant number of users. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a definitive fix for everyone. What might work to resolve this on one device might not work on another, even if the devices are identical. The "recipe" that has (so far) resolved the problem on my Moto X involved disabling a lot of location-based features or services. This included the device-locator features of Android Device Manager and Motorola Support. I've applied the same changes to my Nexus 7 2012 and I still get drain, even after a factory reset.

The best thing I can suggest is do your homework and make *small* changes and observe the results. It takes patience but in the end, you'll hopefully end up with a good balance between battery life and functionality.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Funny how some have no problems. On both of our M.X's we have everything enabled except automatic updates on most all apps. Touch less Control, assist, active display, GPS on and have no battery issues. Also sync lots of gmail. It has to be a miss behaving app. Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Only problem I'm having during idle is the wifi will not automatically turn it's self off like I have it set to do. I don't have have a problem with doing this manually, but when I have it set to only stay on while charging, I'd like for it to work.

Posted via Android Central App

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Will there is another point. I have two WiFi routers at home that are 60 some feet a part, one in the office and one in the family room. I only turn on WiFi while doing app updates!

We have a LTE tower across the channel from the house, like a 1/4 to 1/2 mile, so have super good cell reception.

We have been in Maui for 19 days, still great battery life. Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
For people on Wi-fi and heavy idle battery drain, have you compared your awake times with and without Wi-fi. Something about the wifi at work and at home always kept waking up my device. When I turned it off, my phone slept like a baby. Not all wifi networks seem created equal. When I visit my friend, turning on Wifi saves my battery instead. Right now, I'm staring at 17.5 hrs off charger, 41% left, 1.5 hrs screen on time. LTE all day.

Fizban19

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, just wanted to get some opinions on my situation......I have a moto x for a few weeks, updated to kit kat. While I'm not experiencing drastic idle battery drain like some people, I am experiencing something strange. I have a stock moto x, no 3rd party apps installed at all. I don't use the phone much, manually check email a few times a day, surf the web maybe half hour a day.
I have everything optional turned off...wifi, bluetooth, auto synching off, data off, Motorola Assist off, location services off (unchecked), GPS off. The only thing I have activated is active display. The phone basically can just be used for calls and texts.
What I'm finding is with this setting I get great stand by time at night...from 7PM to 7AM (span of 12 hours), I will only lose about 4% battery...which is awesome! However, from about 9AM-6PM, (span of about 9 hours), I will lose about 12% with the phone on the same settings. Signal reception is great both at night and during the day. Android OS is taking the most battery % ~25-30%. I've had other cell phones (Sony) using gingerbread and ice cream sandwich which never had Android OS in the battery stats ever! Phone idle and Cell Standby would be at the top of battery usage normally, but with the Moto x it's Android OS. And I'm using this phone exactly the same as my previous phones...no change in behavior. Again, I know it's not crazy idle battery drain like some have, but was just curious as to what might be using more battery during the day than at night.
Will Gsam battery monitor help figure this out? Does the app breakdown what Android OS usage is? I'm just super curious as to what it could be. Thanks!

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, just wanted to get some opinions on my situation......I have a moto x for a few weeks, updated to kit kat. While I'm not experiencing drastic idle battery drain like some people, I am experiencing something strange. I have a stock moto x, no 3rd party apps installed at all. I don't use the phone much, manually check email a few times a day, surf the web maybe half hour a day.
I have everything optional turned off...wifi, bluetooth, auto synching off, data off, Motorola Assist off, location services off (unchecked), GPS off. The only thing I have activated is active display. The phone basically can just be used for calls and texts.
What I'm finding is with this setting I get great stand by time at night...from 7PM to 7AM (span of 12 hours), I will only lose about 4% battery...which is awesome! However, from about 9AM-6PM, (span of about 9 hours), I will lose about 12% with the phone on the same settings. Signal reception is great both at night and during the day. Android OS is taking the most battery % ~25-30%. I've had other cell phones (Sony) using gingerbread and ice cream sandwich which never had Android OS in the battery stats ever! Phone idle and Cell Standby would be at the top of battery usage normally, but with the Moto x it's Android OS. And I'm using this phone exactly the same as my previous phones...no change in behavior. Again, I know it's not crazy idle battery drain like some have, but was just curious as to what might be using more battery during the day than at night.
Will Gsam battery monitor help figure this out? Does the app breakdown what Android OS usage is? I'm just super curious as to what it could be. Thanks!

Well, you probably use your phone more during the day then at night unless you are a graveyard shift worker. So might that have something to do with it?

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Manually turned off my wifi last night before bed, along with mobile data, and sync. Woke up with 87% battery remaining after 10 hours of zero use. Wifi had somehow turned itself on as well. It was on 4 of the 10 sleep hours. Not sure what could've turned it on.

Losing 13% battery after 10 hours isn't that bad though to me.

Fizban19

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Well, you probably use your phone more during the day then at night unless you are a graveyard shift worker. So might that have something to do with it?

Nope, when I am at work, my phone is usually sitting on my desk, idle (again, everything switched off, even data). If I leave it idle from say 9AM to 1PM and then check it, it will drain like 5%...not a big deal...but during a 7 hour span at night, the battery might drain 1 or 2 % max.

Fizban19

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Manually turned off my wifi last night before bed, along with mobile data, and sync. Woke up with 87% battery remaining after 10 hours of zero use. Wifi had somehow turned itself on as well. It was on 4 of the 10 sleep hours. Not sure what could've turned it on.

Losing 13% battery after 10 hours isn't that bad though to me.

That's not bad...I'm just curious in my situation...in standby, battery drains much more during the day than at night for some reason, even though the phone is sitting there idle.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
That's not bad...I'm just curious in my situation...in standby, battery drains much more during the day than at night for some reason, even though the phone is sitting there idle.

Facebook, probably. That combined with location services.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Stronger signal at home at night than at work during the day would be my guess.

omlette1

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey, no I have roughly 4-5 bars on average with a good LTE connection and I still haven't upgraded to kit kat because it's not available with fido yet (in Canada). That's crazy that you get 20-24 hours! Right now as Im typing this I have 25% left and its been on for 11 hours. Yesterday I had to charge it early in the evening because it died. You're also right, I have noticed that some people have bad battery life while others don't. O well. It's my first android (just switched from iPhone) and it's an amazing phone (minus the battery)! But I'll try turning off some of the features that people are suggesting.

Thanks for the reply!