SIM-unlocking Sprint Moto X

Simon Strauss

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I know there are many threads on unlocking Sprint Moto X on this forum, I've read them but didn't found what I was looking for.

First off I'm french and I didn't knew anything about US carrier, I own a iPhone 4 wanted to change and settle down on the Moto X as being the most adapted to my needs.

I bought it off Ebay and didn't care about locked or not as I knew they could be unlock for 10-15$ over the internet... How stupid I was not to check for every carriers! I bought a Sprint locked phone.

I discovered to late that it isn't possible for now to unlock a Sprint Moto X, here is my question; is it just "for now"? Sprint is knew to have annoying rules to unlock, but on unlocking website they offer unlock for Sprint phone, just not the Moto X.

Will the Moto X be available at unlocking anytime soon? Because it is the perfect phone to my opinions and needs but is unfortunately only available in North and South America.

I know from the EMEI that it isn't reported stolen or lost at least.

I would very much appreciate your informations,

All the best from France,

Simon

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: One more thread on SIM-unlocking Sprint Moto X.... One more...

Will the Moto X be available at unlocking anytime soon? Because it is the perfect phone to my opinions and needs but is unfortunately only available in North and South America.

Motorola has an announcement scheduled for Tuesday. The announcement is for Europe, and it's rumored that they may possibly be announcing the Moto X for Europe.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/126...from-moto-x-family-imminent-maybe-even-tablet

Simon Strauss

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

So my real question is, is there a time before a phone become unlockable?
In fact I see 3 option for now;
-resell it
-wait for way to unlock it
-take a plan at sprint for 90 days, unlock it and quit the plan. (by the way what is the cheapest plan at sprint?)
Thank you

Simon Strauss

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

Sorry for multiposting:

As I said I don't know anything about US carrier and let me say that... they suck! Wow it's impressive how expensive they are!

I made some research and it seems the cheapest plan is 30$ for 200min and it seems that you get tied for 2 years am I right?

Here in France you can get a 2euros plan for 2h, unlimited text messaging plus 50Mo of data AND you can quit when ever you want!

In fact the biggest plan I could get would be 20euros for all unlimited and quit when ever I want.

Roooh seems that I'll have to sell it back right?

What fool I was to think I got the perfect auction off ebay...

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Kai piggy back on this? Does anyone know once Sprint unlocks a SIM card, does it *stay* unlocked? Or is it locked back up after a certain amount of time.

Simon Strauss

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

To my understanding it stays unlock forever.The hard part is to get it unlock at the first place. Kai piggy?

Simon Strauss

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

Woow got it! took a while but got it... don't forget it's not my mother tongue! Can I piggyback on this... In fact I've never heard of piggyback but googled it.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Woow got it! took a while but got it... don't forget it's not my mother tongue! Can I piggyback on this... In fact I've never heard of piggyback but googled it.

HA. Fun to learn new colloquialisms. What is your mother tongue?

Simon Strauss

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

I'm french but travelled backpacking for 2 years and learn english this way.

Anyway, seems like no answer to my questions.

The main thing that **** me off is that I see iphones and other phone get unlock code for sprint but not the moto X. Will it come?

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Kai piggy back on this? Does anyone know once Sprint unlocks a SIM card, does it *stay* unlocked? Or is it locked back up after a certain amount of time.

When I was trying to unlock an iPhone 4s from Sprint for international use, they told me this :

You need 90 days of service up to the time you want to unlock the phone ( mine was one year old and out of service for 60 days we misplaced it). The unlock they said was only temporary ( change from previous policy).

Look into trading it in to Motorola maker. They offered $180 for mine.

Posted via Android Central App

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

When I was trying to unlock an iPhone 4s from Sprint for international use, they told me this :

You need 90 days of service up to the time you want to unlock the phone ( mine was one year old and out of service for 60 days we misplaced it). The unlock they said was only temporary ( change from previous policy).

Look into trading it in to Motorola maker. They offered $180 for mine.

Posted via Android Central App

I am a Sprint customer in the US. I asked them to unlock the phone before I'd had it for 90 days. (I have been a customer for a few years, though.) They said they unlocked it, although they made me go through some rigamarole -- they called me during business hours, and asked me to answer some "publicly available" questions about the person I claimed to be. Stuff like my mother's birthday (although they gave her name, and not her relationship to me.) I guess that is their attempt to verify I was the customer. Then they checked to make sure the phone was on their network, and they told me it should now be unlocked -- although I haven't had the opportunity to check that, since I haven't been out of the country since then.

I'm not sure why they are working so hard to prevent resale abroad (at least, that's what they seem to be doing.) It can't just be to discourage theft, because it's easy to report a phone stolen.

Simon Strauss

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

Ok so no one seems to know but I have a last question; How many digits is the unlock code and how many try do we have? Yes you got what I meant, if it's 4/5 digits and unlimited try I'll keep trying until it unlocks.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

One thing I would make sure to do if you haven't already and plan on keeping the phone is check all the bands the Sprint Moto X supports. It will do you no good to unlock the Sprint version if you can't use it where you plan on using it. If you're in France, I'm thinking you need a GSM phone, and the Sprint Moto X is a CDMA phone.

rsadalarasu

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Ok so no one seems to know but I have a last question; How many digits is the unlock code and how many try do we have? Yes you got what I meant, if it's 4/5 digits and unlimited try I'll keep trying until it unlocks.

There is a limit to try the unlock codes. If you try more than some x number of times, phone will be permanently locked and you can't do anything even if you get unlock code. So be careful before you brute force the unlock codes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Simon Strauss

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

Thank you, so I can't just try from 0000 to 9999, nor take a sprint plan, unlock and quit, so I guess my only hope to unlock it is to wait for a unlock to become available.

But will it be? This is my question since the beginning, I've seen many other phone on sprint able to be unlocked, will the Moto X be one of them?

Kind of like when a new OS come up (I guess Android is the same as iOS) it is first locked and some hacker team find a way to unlock it. Obviously Sprint unlock policy are the same for every phones, so if some are unlocked on website why not the Moto X.

I'm kind of redondant with this question but since I haven't any answer about it...

Last edited:

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

The whole lock and unlocking thing will be a mute point since there is a movement from the carriers now not to subsidized phones for cheaper rates. I personally think this is a good thing so manufactures can make one phone for all companies to lower manufacturing costs instead of making carrier specific phones.

Simon Strauss

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site

You mean in the futur there will not have difference between a Verizon and AT&T phones? It seems logical, it's how it has always worked in Europe, at least in France to my knowledge.

I received my phone yesterday and inserted my sim card in to try out (still have some hope) and it didn't even asked for unlock code, is that any normal? Because I've seen on https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=425753&fcc_id=IHDT56PB2 click on test report 1 it says page 3 that the GSM have been disable by firmware and sim locked "for US carrier".
I get the option on the phone to select gsm network and browse for one, I don't find mine but I have very low signal were I live and if the phone doesn't use the exact same frequency it may be harder to get the signal.

Could it be possible that the phone in gsm unlocked and just need to find the proper network? Or selecting GSM is even possible on locked devices?

Thanks

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary