Moto X: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I?ll often not close apps after I?ve used them and when I go back into the multi window thing and all the apps are sitting there. I?d prefer to hit one button instead of do 10 swipes.

Also, what setting do I go in to choose my apps that start up in the background (not the truly open active apps like above). I'll often go into my 'Clean master app and they'll be a number of apps listed to kill that aren't currently open and that I hadn't even opened or used that day, and that i don't even use every day, youtube for example.. Or fandango, which i use once a week max, and google music, which i use never but keep "enabled" in case of the rare occasion i feel like using it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

I’ll often not close apps after I’ve used them and when I go back into the multi window thing and all the apps are sitting there. I’d prefer to hit one button instead of do 10 swipes.

Also, what setting do I go in to choose my apps that start up in the background (not the truly open active apps like above). I'll often go into my 'Clean master app and they'll be a number of apps listed to kill that aren't currently open and that I hadn't even opened or used that day, and that i don't even use every day, youtube for example.. Or fandango, which i use once a week max, and google music, which i use never but keep "enabled" in case of the rare occasion i feel like using it.

I think I know what you are talking about. Let me get a screenshot from my X.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any way to close all open/active apps at once? Maybe a 1 button toggle or something? ..

Like in the lower left? I had to use Gravity Box and Xposed Framework.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Attachments

• 1389713522836.jpg
    1389713522836.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 159

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I like your wallpaper! :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

omg, that's beautiful. That's is what I thought would not even be an option but what I optimally really wanted. : )

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

omg, that's beautiful. That's is what I thought would not even be an option but what I optimally really wanted. : )

Be advised: I had to unlock my bootloader which will wipe your device. I had to root. I also installed CWM, to make a Nandroid in case something went wrong. Because I did this, I was not able to accept the 4.4 OTA. And as of this moment, I am not sure if a root method is available for 4.4.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Be advised: I had to unlock my bootloader which will wipe your device. I had to root. I also installed CWM, to make a Nandroid in case something went wrong. Because I did this, I was not able to accept the 4.4 OTA. And as of this moment, I am not sure if a root method is available for 4.4.

fk. lol.

sirtaugs

May 30, 2012
Visit site

I have a app called battery doctor. It has a widget which will kill all apps (even the "hidden" ones) better than any task killer app,

Sent from my SM-P600

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

You really REALLY do not want to ever do this. Most who want to do this are coming from the Donut / Froyo / Gingerbread model where this was the only way to ensure your phone lasted any reasonable amount of time on battery.

There's been official reply after reply (mostly in Google I/O sessions from the devs themselves) that has said this is a bad idea and actually hurts battery life pretty dramatically on Android 4+. The reasoning is simple - it now takes more CPU/resources to restart an app (when you inevitably open it again) than it did to keep it running in the background. Android now also does a nearly perfect job of resource management, whereby it kills the oldest task to free up RAM if need be.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

I can’t think for the life of me why Android would not add this standard. Any ideas? I guess I don’t have a choice but to next time get a dev edition and have someone root it for me cuz it keeps coming up that “well, this is a good solution but you have to be rooted”. lol. But I still don’t get why they would not make that an option on the standard o/s. ?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I can?t think for the life of me why Android would not add this standard. Any ideas? I guess I don?t have a choice but to next time get a dev edition and have someone root it for me cuz it keeps coming up that ?well, this is a good solution but you have to be rooted?. lol. But I still don?t get why they would not make that an option on the standard o/s. ?

I am not sure why, but it isn't there on my Nexus either.

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

I can’t think for the life of me why Android would not add this standard. Any ideas? I guess I don’t have a choice but to next time get a dev edition and have someone root it for me cuz it keeps coming up that “well, this is a good solution but you have to be rooted”. lol. But I still don’t get why they would not make that an option on the standard o/s. ?

I strongly suggest you read my post above. They didn't put it there because you DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS EVER.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I strongly suggest you read my post above. They didn't put it there because you DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS EVER.

There is nothing wrong with clearing the apps in the recents screen. It doesn't always kill them.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

hmmm. I feel like they're not slower when I close then re-open. I just checked 5 apps. One was a fraction of a second slower to open, but that is 10x less inconvenient than swiping 10 apps off the recent apps.

Last edited:

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

There is nothing wrong with clearing the apps in the recents screen. It doesn't always kill them.

Actually, yes it does. On Android 4+, "clearing" an app from what you call the recents screen, isn't the recents screen - it's the switch app screen and yes it does definitely kill the app. :)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Actually, yes it does. On Android 4+, "clearing" an app from what you call the recents screen, isn't the recents screen - it's the switch app screen and yes it does definitely kill the app. :)

Not always.

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

hmmm. I feel like they're not slower when I close then re-open. I just checked 5 apps.

Google Android devs have repeatedly shown this to be a confirmation bias. Task killers only benefit is where you have an app that is malfunctioning and taking too much resources, by which you should uninstall that app. Global kills are a shotgun approach to a sniper problem.

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

Not always.

With respect, yes it does.

Since we're in the Moto X forums, that is. All Android 4+ devices with a dedicated app switch button will kill the app and restart its background process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2