Moto X for Europe

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola brings the Moto X to the UK | Android Central

First look: The European Moto X in London | Android Central

Following the London event, Motorola has confirmed again the February 1 launch date, applicable to the UK and also to France and Germany. So far, only one UK carrier partner has been announced, O2, and the Moto X will be available on contract from ?25 per month. In addition to buying through O2 and Motorola direct, Carphone Warehouse and Phones 4U will also both be stocking the Moto X, with the white version initially being exclusive to Phones 4U.

tastisnax

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how much the European versions differed from the one sold in the US? does it cover different bands, or is it straight up the same phone? I don't know much about LTE in the UK, but I may end up moving there within the year and would love to keep my X.

Posted via Android Central App

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I looked at half a dozen articles because I was curious about the bands, and didn't find an answer. But the GSM one has decent coverage in Europe, so it might be the very same phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how much the European versions differed from the one sold in the US? does it cover different bands, or is it straight up the same phone? I don't know much about LTE in the UK, but I may end up moving there within the year and would love to keep my X.

Per: Moto X by Motorola - A Google Company

4G LTE bands
800/1800/2600MHz (B20/B3/B7)

For reference: Motorola - A Google Company

4G LTE bands (GSM Unlocked model only)
700/AWS/1900MHz (B17/B4/B2)

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I am in the UK and have recently bought the brilliant Moto G and love it so much that I was hoping that today's announcement was going to be for the Moto X. I was all set to get one and let my wife have the G......

But its overpriced for the spec, no Moto maker and we are not allowed to have the 32Gb model and have to make do with the 16Gb model!!! Quite how Motorola/Google can justify trying to sell us a phone that is ?40 more expensive than a Nexus 5 with lower specs and half the storage is utterly beyond me. A few gimmicky software features does not justify the price and it is nowhere near ?210 better than the Moto G. Really disappointed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Which of the software features do you consider gimmicky? Active display, touch less control and assist are all very good and useful additions. Og Droid and then I dove a HTC Rezound for 21 months and it was a great device. But my M.X is much much better, except for the camera. Rez had one of the better ones. Chris

Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Which of the software features do you consider gimmicky? Active display, touch less control and assist are all very good and useful additions. Og Droid and then I dove a HTC Rezound for 21 months and it was a great device. But my M.X is much much better, except for the camera. Rez had one of the better ones. Chris

Moto G doesn't have the Active Display or Touchless controls

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

The Moto G has Assist already although it doesn't have the drive option that the X has. But based on a response to a posting I saw it looks like Motorola has plans to do something similar for the g. The gimmicky features are the other two you mention. Active display is the most interesting but touch less control is something I'd use to show my mates once and never use again. I'm not saying that they are no use to anyone but my point is that they are not so good as to justify the more than double the price tag of the g and more than a better spec nexus 5.

The most annoying thing is the fact that we don't even get a choice of storage options?!? It feels like Motorola have seen the runaway success of the g in the UK (it is the No. 1 best seller on UK Amazon) and thought they could exploit it by bringing their flagship device here too. But given the price versus specs and features I think it will be a flop and that then worries me that any future flagship may not come here if they think it won't sell.

Obviously I'll now be proved completely wrong and I guess I'm just frustrated as I thought that the X would be sold at a really competitive price that would blow away all the others. Anyway I'll put my rant away and leave it at that :)

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
The Moto G has Assist already although it doesn't have the drive option that the X has. But based on a response to a posting I saw it looks like Motorola has plans to do something similar for the g. The gimmicky features are the other two you mention. Active display is the most interesting but touch less control is something I'd use to show my mates once and never use again. I'm not saying that they are no use to anyone but my point is that they are not so good as to justify the more than double the price tag of the g and more than a better spec nexus 5.

The most annoying thing is the fact that we don't even get a choice of storage options?!? It feels like Motorola have seen the runaway success of the g in the UK (it is the No. 1 best seller on UK Amazon) and thought they could exploit it by bringing their flagship device here too. But given the price versus specs and features I think it will be a flop and that then worries me that any future flagship may not come here if they think it won't sell.

Obviously I'll now be proved completely wrong and I guess I'm just frustrated as I thought that the X would be sold at a really competitive price that would blow away all the others. Anyway I'll put my rant away and leave it at that :)

So you are saying I could have gotten a G for a half penny? Most people get subsidized phones in the US. Wife's was on Moto Maker for 49.95 and mine on Amazon for $0.01. Here all the talk about phone cost only effects a small percentage of people. However they may be a much larger percentage of forum like this, there are however the millions that could care less about the unsubsidized cost. Do you not have subsidized plans like we have here? However, if cost was a big deal here, then no one would have an iPhone. Ha! Ha! And the next one standing/waiting in line for hours each time a new model is pooped out!

VZW will one way or another get people off unlimited data, the biggest driver to purchasing the phone out right. Last summer I found that I could not get Canadian roaming without loosing my unlimited data. We go to Canada on the boat for extended periods in the summer. I never used that much data away and the roaming was more important. So 4G's is fine! Next they will find and put the next roadblock up, besides pricing!

The pricing of cell phones is pretty wacked out. My last Sony Blue Ray player was $69.95. Compare what's inside each box and tell me why the smart phone cost 5 to 10 times more, other than people will pay it. Sat TV boxes in America cost 2 or 3 times what similar electronic boxes cost. When Sat, cable, and phone companies own the up and/or down link they seem to be able to control pricing on more than just the network component.

Chris

Last edited:

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Chris, yes we do have subsidized phones in the UK. Basically we have 2 ways to get a phone, either via a contract (this is subsidized) or via pay as you go (unsubsidized). With a contract you get whatever handset you want and sign up for say a 2 year contract where you pay an amount each month and you get a certain amount of talk time, SMS messages and data for internet usage. The most expensive phones though cost the most each month and you are stuck with it for life of your contract. Pay as you go works where you get just a sim card and pay for what you use in terms of calls, SMS and data each month. You therefore have to buy your phone outright either new or second hand. But you can change to a different payg plan whenever you want.

Pay as you go works out cheaper in the long run but requires the upfront cost for the phone which some people can't afford especially for the high end devices. I was referring to the outright cost of the moto x as I use pay as you go. I can buy 2.5 moto g's for the price of the moto x. You can also buy the 32Gb HTC One (again slightly better specs than the X and more storage) for the same price as the X and the 32Gb Nexus 5 is even cheaper.

I know what you mean about other electronic devices and the comparison between their costs and the cost of smart phones. Consumer electronics here in the UK just like in the States get cheaper, better and more reliable every year but smart phones just seem to get more expensive. Been reading the rumours regarding the pricing of the upcoming Samsung S5 I'll be able to buy 4 moto g's for the price of one of those ;-)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

What are the Galaxy S4, HTC One, LG G2, and iPhone 5S priced at in your country?

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
What are the Galaxy S4, HTC One, LG G2, and iPhone 5S priced at in your country?

The 16Gb S4 and 32Gb HTC One are about the same as the 16Gb Moto X at ?380, the 16Gb LG G2 is about ?40 cheaper as is the 32Gb Nexus 5 (?40 is about $65 I guess). The 16Gb iPhone 5s is ?550 so that's a lot more expensive.

The Moto G has been a massive success here due to its price (16Gb version ?160) and the fact that all the other phones in its price bracket have much inferior specs and none are "pure" Android either. I thought that if the X was to be as successful as the G, the 32Gb version would be priced at below ?300 (and I would have got one if it had been but we don't even get the 32gb model). But as its priced at the same level (or higher) as other high end devices some of which have better specs I think it will struggle. Hopefully the price will come down over the coming months as the new S5 comes out and maybe HTC's replacement.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The 16Gb S4 and 32Gb HTC One are about the same as the 16Gb Moto X at ?380, the 16Gb LG G2 is about ?40 cheaper as is the 32Gb Nexus 5 (?40 is about $65 I guess). The 16Gb iPhone 5s is ?550 so that's a lot more expensive.

The Moto G has been a massive success here due to its price (16Gb version ?160) and the fact that all the other phones in its price bracket have much inferior specs and none are "pure" Android either. I thought that if the X was to be as successful as the G, the 32Gb version would be priced at below ?300 (and I would have got one if it had been but we don't even get the 32gb model). But as its priced at the same level (or higher) as other high end devices some of which have better specs I think it will struggle. Hopefully the price will come down over the coming months as the new S5 comes out and maybe HTC's replacement.

..if you're hung up on specs, you're thinking about the Moto X in the wrong way.

The Moto X is Motorola's flagship and is priced accordingly. Notice I didn't ask about the Nexus 5's price because like it or not, it's price is an anomaly. In the US, the Moto X price was high and eventually came down. I expect the same for other markets where the Moto X launches.