Moto X: Car kit recommendations

Take57

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Really enjoying the trusted bluetooth feature so much so that I'm now in the market for a car kit since it might make travel communications easier. I am concerned that since the Moto touchless handles many of the features that car kits are equipped with such as voice dialing, answering, etc. I might be finding conflicts or needless extra voice commands. What I don't want to get into is a situation where, for example I'm talking to the car kit "Answer the phone Bender" on top of "OK, Google Now Answer phone" to trigger the Moto. Obviously things could get out of hand quickly:D

I'd like to keep things simple, after all I should be paying attention to drive, not having conversations with multiple gadgets. I do like the idea of just getting in the car and having the car kit awaken and connect up with the Moto automatically. Like I said, keep it simple.

Anyone have any favorite car kits? I've been looking at at some of the BlueAnt products as well as perhaps the SuperTooth Crystal. I also won't be opposed to keeping it in the family and going with a Motorola unit.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing what you folks are using and are happy with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Take57

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Phil. I really hadn't considered just doing a dock setup (I was thinking more in terms of a sun visor Bluetooth speakerphone thingy) but you might be on to something here. Guess I'd better fish around the house for a refrigerator magnet to coax the Moto into Car Mode and see if it will meet my needs. BTW - Does the Griffin play well with cases/bumpers ?

Thanks again.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I second the case question. I have the amazon supcase that in liking... Wonder if it would work with it

Posted via my Moto X Vzw DE

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
This is the stereo i use with my truck. It works and sounds great and doesn't bring the baggage of its own commands. It's got some of the best noise cancelation I've ever seen in a device.
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/de...7576083&pid=1218851719988&pcatId=abcat0302012

This is the dock I use. It's small, works with any case and sticks to anything. I have it sticking upside down in the overhead of my truck. It's solidity is impressive even in a Freightliner.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bUpU3395941&utm_medium=content&token=w2C7Msm9

The stereo works for trusted Bluetooth and connects automatically and I attached a Skip dot to the dock to completely bypass the lock screen. Bluetooth trusted doesn't work until after the first time you enter the lockscreen code. I use Handsfree SMS pro instead of Moto Assist for texts. It's more reliable ie. it actually works. Google Now is good for everything else. Excellent actually.

I've used various motorola units in the past. They where universally good. I think they have one now that will transmit to your existing stereo.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using this and have been pretty happy with it.

The Griffin Motorola X car dock | Android Central

Which is great and all...if they actually exist in the real world... I've been trying to find them actually for sale for a couple of months now and have given up. I bought a generic "clamp it to the dash" phone holder and have a stereo that does bluetooth and been pretty happy. I would've paid for the Griffin dock, though the Griffin desktop docks that I did buy felt so cheap that I ended up dumping them for something else as well. I miss the really high quality Motorola car and desktop docks that I used with older Verizon phones (Bionic, Razr MAXX, and Razr M).

Take57

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
This is the stereo i use with my truck. It works and sounds great and doesn't bring the baggage of its own commands. It's got some of the best noise cancelation I've ever seen in a device.
Alpine - CD - Built-In Bluetooth - In-Dash Deck with Satellite Radio Tuner - CDE-SXM145BT - Best Buy

This is the dock I use. It's small, works with any case and sticks to anything. I have it sticking upside down in the overhead of my truck. It's solidity is impressive even in a Freightliner.
Aduro U-Grip+ Universal Car Mount - Android Car Kits & Mounts

The stereo works for trusted Bluetooth and connects automatically and I attached a Skip dot to the dock to completely bypass the lock screen. Bluetooth trusted doesn't work until after the first time you enter the lockscreen code. I use Handsfree SMS pro instead of Moto Assist for texts. It's more reliable ie. it actually works. Google Now is good for everything else. Excellent actually.

I've used various motorola units in the past. They where universally good. I think they have one now that will transmit to your existing stereo.

Great ideas techi. That dock mount looks like it would hold an elephant! Brilliant idea putting a Skip in the mount. If I don't go with a Bluetooth solution to get & keep the phone unlocked that Skip-in-the-dock trick might be great.

Am I wrong to understand that at this point with "Touchless" and "Assist", having the phone go into "Car Mode" is unnecessary or redundant?

Great responses folks, keep 'em coming !

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/de...7576083&pid=1218851719988&pcatId=abcat0302012

Any Bluetooth speakerphone I've tried in my work van hasn't worked well - too much road noise, and nose from stuff in the back makes it through to the other end of the call. I think you would have similar issues in a Freightliner. Is it really that Good?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
In the car I use my phone primarily for music playback. If your head unit doesn't have Bluetooth built in but has an auxilliary input, I found a slick Bluetooth receiver. What I like about it is that it turns itself on/off when power is applied/removed. I have it plugged in permanently to a cigarette lighter and everytime I start my car, it turns on and pairs with my Moto X. When I shut the car down, the device unpairs and music playback stops.

If I need to use the phone in my car (which is rarely), I'll use a Bluetooth earpiece. The Moto X can pair with 2 devices and have voice go to one device and media to another. It's not a solution for everyone but one that works perfectly for me. I thought I'd toss it into the discussion in case anyone else was looking for something similar.

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Great ideas techi. That dock mount looks like it would hold an elephant! Brilliant idea putting a Skip in the mount. If I don't go with a Bluetooth solution to get & keep the phone unlocked that Skip-in-the-dock trick might be great.

Am I wrong to understand that at this point with "Touchless" and "Assist", having the phone go into "Car Mode" is unnecessary or redundant?

Great responses folks, keep 'em coming !

Ya, I don't find I miss car mode with its own screen at all. If that is something you do find you personally miss, you could always use Cardock Ultra and set it to auto start on your cars Bluetooth with Tasker. I haven't used it in a while but it might even have and auto start setting that doesn't need tasker.

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Any Bluetooth speakerphone I've tried in my work van hasn't worked well - too much road noise, and nose from stuff in the back makes it through to the other end of the call. I think you would have similar issues in a Freightliner. Is it really that Good?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ya, it really works that good. I had to build a boom to get the mic closer to my face because of where it needed to be mounted but even before that people said it was clear, just distant. I have it mounted about 18 inches from my mouth now and people say it sounds like I'm next to them. It is very loud even in a quiet (relatively speaking) truck.

I used a metal mounting strap from a stereo kit because they have slots in them that allow you to clip the mic into it then I just wrapped it with some plastic tubing channel and put a foam mouthpiece on to make it look finished. It's nice and bendy so you can get the mic right where you want it. The whole setuo works surprisingly well.

By the way, if you don't need the satellite radio, you can skip installing it. It's a peripheral. It doesn't even show up on the stereo menus if it's not installed. The is. A lead expensive version of this stereo available without the satellite stuff but my understanding is it using one Bluetooth software and doesn't work nearly as well which is kind of surprising since the head units appear to be identical.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01