Google Maps navigation freezing

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Several times last week I was using Google Maps navigation and my position just completely froze for maybe a minute. It caused me to miss a turn at least once. The phone itself is still responsive, the app is not hung, just the location is not updating for a while. I didn't go through a tunnel or anything where you might expect the GPS signal to be obstructed. Anyone else experience anything like that?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Several times last week I was using Google Maps navigation and my position just completely froze for maybe a minute. It caused me to miss a turn at least once. The phone itself is still responsive, the app is not hung, just the location is not updating for a while. I didn't go through a tunnel or anything where you might expect the GPS signal to be obstructed. Anyone else experience anything like that?

have you tried updating maps app?

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Noticed this too. Had Bluetooth on and was playing Tune-In Radio
Hmm... I keep bluetooth on all the time, but it wasn't connected to anything, and I wasn't listening to music or anything else. I'll try clearing the cache, etc. Actually I should probably clear cache of Google Play Services, because I think that's where the location data comes from.

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Well I was hoping that the recent update to Maps would have solved this, but it actually seems to be getting worse. I can't seem to pin down what's triggering it, because it did it after a fresh reboot too. I tested it with Google Maps and also with Waze. It's definitely a device problem because it's happening on both apps. Waze actually gives more information, it tells me "No GPS. Showing approximate location". This happens quite frequently, maybe once a minute, and lasts 10-20 seconds each occurrence, which can cause you to miss a turn. I tried different GPS modes, high precision (my default), battery saver, and device only, but all had the same symptoms. I hope 4.4.2 will fix this.

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I've had exactly the same issues and it's maddening. I hope that an update to maps will cure it.

I wonder if this is the driving detection stepping on the toes of maps...

Posted via Android Central App

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just saw this thread
I haven't noticed anything odd .I use GPS/navigation as well as Trapster so far neither have froze up. Location has been accurately showing. If things change I will post back.
Is when using Waze the issue occurs mostly? I haven't used Waze in a long time.

sent from my Moto X

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I just saw this thread
I haven't noticed anything odd .I use GPS/navigation as well as Trapster so far neither have froze up. Location has been accurately showing. If things change I will post back.
Is when using Waze the issue occurs mostly? I haven't used Waze in a long time.
No, not just with Waze. I first noticed it with Google Maps navigation. I just confirmed it last night with Waze, which is better about actually showing the error message instead of just freezing your position and leaving you to wonder what happened. It doesn't seem to happen every time I use navigation, but it's often enough that it's irritating. If the 4.4.2 update doesn't solve it, I'll probably have to get a warranty replacement.

slyd0997

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had the freezing maps problem too. The nav arrow stops moving with me. It's making me crazy. I heard 4.4.2 will fix this. I certainly hope so.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SiliconFiend

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Yep, it looks like they nailed this bug with the 4.4.2 update. I've used GPS 4 times over 2 days and it was always right on with no pauses. And as kolyan2k said, it seems to have fixed the weird compass issue as well (where the pointer was in a notably different orientation than where you were actually driving) Thanks, Moto!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12