Why are so many people saying the Moto X isn't selling?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Re: why is everyone saying the moto x isnt selling??

Motorola Mobility and Motorola are no longer combined! Motorola now is just a Device business, and MOTOROLA MOBILITY (Cell Phones or other Cellular Related Devices) is now owned by GOOGLE.... So i only see these phones getting better because now GOOGLE owns a phone maker and can build the BEST working devices without the Maker trying to brand its own COVERS (aka HTC Sense, Galaxy)...
Motorola split into two different entities upon the acquisition of the consumer device division by Google: Motorola Mobility and Motorola Solutions. Feel free to read up on Motorola Solutions, but the scope of their business exceeds "devices" only, and it's mostly commercial. Motorola Mobility is now a division of Google, and was acquired because Motorola wouldn't sell Google its intellectual property without selling the division itself.

Google's intent was to buy patents; what they ended up with was a bloated phone business. After a lot of labor/management cuts and some dramatic strategic redesign, you now have the company that has produced the Moto X. That being said, the operational relationship between Google and Motorola is more complicated than you let on, even though it is a subsidiary; it seems they still operate as a relatively independent entity.

There's no telling what Google plans to do with Motorola in the future, as it doesn't seem having their own hardware acquisition was ever in their plans anyway. Hopefully they keep making killer phones though.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree. And I would bet that the Verizon-branded Droid line had a lot to do with this. AT&T got some type of exclusivity with Motomaker while Verizon got exclusivity with the dog ugly Droids.

With any luck, 2014 will be a much better experience for those of us interested in the next X.

Yes, I'm not surprised if that's why the Moto X wasn't pushed hard by Verizon; they have their Droid line they'd much rather push forward.

icyrock1

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Motorola's been doing amazing things. If they keep this up, they'll be getting my next smartphone purchase.

For now, I'm content with my Nexus 4 (probably won't upgrade tell halfway through the year).

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Moto is in rebuild phase. As long as Google continues to let them take a loss, they will be fine.

They are set up to become a power player in less than 2 years. Which is not something i believe that HTC or LG can honestly say. The biggest challenge will be grabing the "Sheep" market. The market that buys Apple and Samsung just because others have them. That is where the real money is. That is also where i believe moto has their sites on.

Every manufacturer has something going for them right now. That is great for consumers. I hope that HTC and LG grow their market share as well. We need a whole range of great options. No 1 or 2.

A great trend as of late is that folks are actually buying "vanilla" Android devices in significant numbers. People have learned that new features and software updates come faster to these phones, and Google has taken the OS to a place where many of the UIs and skins that were selling points of 3rd party manufacturers are no longer necessary or even favorable (in other words, it's not a "trade off"...these are the devices folks actually want to buy). Google's acquisition of Motorola no doubt has had an effect on the success of these devices and their "rebuild"

Regardless of whether Moto, LG, HTC, Samsung, etc do well in sales, I hope we've reached a point where the popularity of phones like the Nexus line and the Moto X demonstrate that above all else, folks want the Android experience and timely updates more than they want gimmicky software features. I'd really like to see a focus on hardware innovation, rather than having every company trying to find a way to brand the software as their own.

Here's my opinion on the whole Motomaker exclusivity deal with AT&T. One, AT&T more than likely paid Motorola some amount of money to be the single carrier with Motomaker option. On the other hand, there were a lot of quality issues with the first batches of phones. It takes a certain amount of time to not only get the machines calibrated, but also get the workers trained well enough that everything operates smoothly and they can meet demand. If Motomaker had been available to all four major US carriers, it would have been a disastor.

This may be 100% correct...but I doubt is the reason AT&T has any exclusivity deal...it's because they paid for it.

(And sometimes, you do get what you pay for...good or bad).

Zig261

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Updates are quite exaggerated. Most Android users I encounter only seem to care if their phone can make calls and go on the internet. Not so much the updates.

Posted via Android Central App

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm not doubting that AT&T paid for exclusivity. It's happened in the past between carriers and manufacturers and it will happen again. My point was everyone says that opening Motomaker up to all carriers should have been the way to go, while I'm trying to point out that limiting the amount customers at the beginning allowed Motorola and the workers at the factory to work out their deficiencies before opening Motomaker up to everyone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I'm not surprised if that's why the Moto X wasn't pushed hard by Verizon; they have their Droid line they'd much rather push forward.

In my experience, they seem to be pushing the Moto X just as hard as say a GS4.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Updates are quite exaggerated. Most Android users I encounter only seem to care if their phone can make calls and go on the internet. Not so much the updates.

Posted via Android Central App

My own response is probably going to sound contradictory here, but here goes anyway...

1. In many ways, I agree. Yes, it very much depends on what features the update may provide, but often you'll see folks here complaining that they aren't getting the update fast enough, then when the update is released those same folks are trying to figure out how to roll back because all it did was decrease performance in one way or another. I've never been one to "update for the sake of updating" in the sense that I do like to evaluate what I'll actually gain by installing an update and if there is a an reason for an urgency to do so.

2. Yes, to many folks, all they really care about is whether the phone works as advertised, and aren't even aware about when updates are out or concerned about when they get them. This really isn't the audience being represented on this forum, however, and that was the audience I was attempting to address. I'd say the majority of folks who frequent the forums DO care about updates.

3. There are times when updates are a big deal. It sucks when you have a 2 year contract on a device, and after a year there are already apps and features you can't access because updates aren't available. This seems to be happening less lately, but I know it was a real issue when ICS came out for those "stuck" on Gingerbread.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My own response is probably going to sound contradictory here, but here goes anyway...

1. In many ways, I agree. Yes, it very much depends on what features the update may provide, but often you'll see folks here complaining that they aren't getting the update fast enough, then when the update is released those same folks are trying to figure out how to roll back because all it did was decrease performance in one way or another. I've never been one to "update for the sake of updating" in the sense that I do like to evaluate what I'll actually gain by installing an update and if there is a an reason for an urgency to do so.

2. Yes, to many folks, all they really care about is whether the phone works as advertised, and aren't even aware about when updates are out or concerned about when they get them. This really isn't the audience being represented on this forum, however, and that was the audience I was attempting to address. I'd say the majority of folks who frequent the forums DO care about updates.

3. There are times when updates are a big deal. It sucks when you have a 2 year contract on a device, and after a year there are already apps and features you can't access because updates aren't available. This seems to be happening less lately, but I know it was a real issue when ICS came out for those "stuck" on Gingerbread.

I agree.

1. Everyone on sites like this seems to want an update. But hardly any of them actually say what feature they want from the next version. Even funnier, when they want a feature that will be replaced or not enabled because of an OEM's UI changes.

2. This is totally how regular people see updates. And this is the customer that is significant to the carrier and OEM bottom line.

3. Critical security updates should be the number one reason for an update. But app compatibility is probably second. Look at the top free apps in the Play Store. As long as they work, regular consumers probably don't care.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
1. Everyone on sites like this seems to want an update. But hardly any of them actually say what feature they want from the next version. Even funnier, when they want a feature that will be replaced or not enabled because of an OEM's UI changes.
Even better, when people do get the update quickly (like Verizon Moto X owners), they end up complaining that it's buggy and want ways to go back to 4.2.2. There's no middle ground.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Even better, when people do get the update quickly (like Verizon Moto X owners), they end up complaining that it's buggy and want ways to go back to 4.2.2. There's no middle ground.

I think it gets even better when the tiniest bug gets blown way out of proportion, like "omg icon is 3px smaller, I should have gotten a Samsung@!!!" - What? You'd trade all of the advantages of your device for one icon being different? Or, when they just straight up make bugs up.

krouri

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but i just picked up a Moto X i have been using an LG G2 and it got water damaged so bought the X to try out. i must say i was surprised at how fluid smooth and fast the phone is considering the s4 processor. My eyes can't tell the difference between 720p vs 1080p i guess as the viewing angles and screen looks are amazing, with the acception of the over saturated colours although i have only noticed the red as been over saturated so far. i am loving KitKat and near stock android experience especially loving the dialer. i thought i was buying this phone to hold me over till the Nexus 6 or Moto X+1 are coming but i am really enjoyingthis phone so far.

cindave

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
And, the fluid experience will continue for the foreseeable future, as that has been my experience, as well as most in the forums. Not just the best phone I've ever owned, the best combination of hardware/software that I've ever owned.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(5002059)

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I used to change devices constantly. But ever since I got the Moto X I'm not interested in any other phone. My wife is shocked. I don't even see myself upgrading to the new one right off the bat. I defiantly won't if I can't design my own.

Posted with my MotoX, no case needed.

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I hope it is a selling well. I've owned the Droid Incredible's (I and II) and the Samsung GS3. I find the Moto X to be the perfect phone for so many reasons. I've played with the HTC One and the GS5 but you can't beat the sheer competence and simplicity of the Moto X.