Moto X: Assist speaking text messages while not driving?

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
My phone read me two messages while driving to work.... Yay! It read two more hours later while not driving.... Boo! I was under the impression it only did this while driving. Kind of funny, robot voice coming out of my pants in the work cafeteria.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Assist speaking text messages while not driving?

I've yet to try this since no one's texted me while driving. That's a good thing, really.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Settings/Hands-free Mode. Mine reads my texts and tells me who is calling, but sometimes just turns itself off.

I assume you mean in the assist app? It happened again today during a presentation. It was slightly more embarrassing this time. I'm probably just going to turn it off.

Last edited:

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Quit walking so fast or take the stairs not the high speed elevator.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

lyra85

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys. This happened to me today. I was sitting still at a presentation with my phone set to silent mode. Google plus gave me a silent flight update for a friend getting into town. Then The navigation notification pops up to ask me if I want t drive to the airport, for which I select 'no'. Then, while my phone is in SILENT mode, I get a text message from my friend, and it announces this to me out loud as if I were in driving mode!!! This is after sitting still for a whole hour in the same place! Anyone know what is going on here? Moto Assist is not useful if it reads messages out loud when (a)I am NOT driving and (b) the phone has purposely been set to SILENT.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Curious, it got updated today. Did this happen before or after update assuming you updated.

lyra85

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
After the update, come to think of it. I just got a few more txts, and the moto X is STILL reading them out even though I am sitting at my desk working (still at the office, haven't driven home). I can't figure out how to stop it!

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Look in the pull down and see if it still thinks you're driving. If so hit the"I'm not driving button". I notice it gets stuck in driving mode occasionally. That should fix the problem though.

Posted via Android Central App

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
That's not it but I am thinking maybe BT doesn't fully disconnect or something and tricks it?

lyra85

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I have Bluetooth OFF. And there is no "road" icon in my navigation bar. In other words it is not a false positive for me driving…. I have:

1. powered down my phone
2.Cleared the Assist App data
3. Did a cache partition clean
4. Manually updated Talk to Me.
5.Disables "talk to me" in Moto Assist.

I am STILL having my texts announced out load. This is aggravating!!!!

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I have Bluetooth OFF. And there is no "road" icon in my navigation bar. In other words it is not a false positive for me driving…. I have:

1. powered down my phone
2.Cleared the Assist App data
3. Did a cache partition clean
4. Manually updated Talk to Me.
5.Disables "talk to me" in Moto Assist.

I am STILL having my texts announced out load. This is aggravating!!!!

Is that you on the moto forums? "Interesting" that the bug has been there since September. FWIW my Nexus 5 has issues after a day or two with BT. When I hit the phone button it will start to open voice dialer and then crash over and over until I cycle BT on the phone.

Rich Tanenbaum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Had the same problem for a few days after the update, but it seems to have resolved. itself. It is again giving me the option to check, "not driving". I keep my bt off because it's not syncing correctly with my car's bt. can't get the message readout or map voice.

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem for a few days after the update, but it seems to have resolved. itself. It is again giving me the option to check, "not driving". I keep my bt off because it's not syncing correctly with my car's bt. can't get the message readout or map voice.

I found on the moto forums this was reported back in September and on these forums in August. I just leave the drive stuff off now.

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

In the talk to me menu of driving mode is a link to help with Bluetooth issues now. Choose the alternate source and it may work with your system now. Is worked on all the systems I have that didn't work previously.

Posted via Android Central App

Dswann3

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I know it's not funny to those with this problem (I don't use Assist), but I had to chuckle when I imagined the phone reading an embarrassing text at the worst possible moment. Isn't there a Ford commercial out where Siri does that same thing?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad