02-26-2014 10:07 AM
89 ... 234
tools
    yeah, that download speed is comparable to the Verizon 4G LTE download speed I get where I live. The upload speed, though, beats the Verizon 4G LTE upload speeds I get by a lot.
    My carrier does use 1800 and 2600 bands, but only in certain parts of the country can i get 2600. But I'm running the stock att OS, so likely it has been disabled. On phones that are fully compatible with my carrier's LTE bands, I have seen upwards or 30mbps down in the same location where I tested the Moto X. But nonetheless, the speeds i have been getting is more than sufficient for my needs.
    01-26-2014 02:27 AM
    For 1 hour on Monday the Dev Ed will be $100 off but after that until valentine's day it will be $70 off!
    Yep I know I'll be ready to (hopefully) get through to order.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-26-2014 09:14 AM
    Here's a comparison that may or may not help....
    I bought a Moto X, had it for 3 weeks and returned for a Nexus 5, don't regret the decision.
    Now my wife is going to get a Moto X, I am encouraging here.

So here is my list:
    Nexus 5 pro's:
    1. Much better camera
    - maybe I had a Moto X with a bum camera, will find out after my wife gets her's
    - Camera is noticeably better than iPhone 4S (which I thought was pretty good)
    2. Much better standby battery life (example at night, with phone on)
    - Unless you are playing with screen / online a lot the standby battery life helps
    - Best I got with Moto X was 0.5% per hour), Nexus 5 seems to run about 0.2% per hour
    3. 20-40% lower battery usage when playing music
    4. Nexus 5 let's you choose 3G if you like
    - Moto X only lets you choose 2G or automatic (no 3G only)
    - My office has bad reception, so 4G sucks battery
    - With Nexus 5, I keep it in 3G
    - With Moto X, I had to choose 2G and switch to automatic when leaving work
    - This really annoyed me (especially the nerd side of me.... maybe you can relate, may you cannot

Moto X pro's:
    1. Much better display
    - Colors are better
    - Genrally more pleasing to look at
    2. Way better loud-speaker and better speaker for phone
    - More bass, fuller sounding
    - Headphone sound quality is the same in both
    3. So much more comfortable to hold and easy to use with one hand
    - Only slightly smaller, but the curves make it much easier to handle
    - I am not a big guy and hands are not big, so this matters more
    - Although, after about a month I am getting used to the nexus
    4. I loved the fact that, you pull the phone out of your pocket and swipe
    - No need to push any buttons to unlock the phone
    - Somehow this really helps, expecially when you are answering the phone in the car and want to keep your eyes on the road
    5. You are walking by the phone and want to check the time, you just tap the phone... and there you are
    - Loved this

So, basically the Moto X is wayyy Coool!!! My wife is going to get the Walnut back, which is goin to make it even cooler.
    But the Nexus 5 has staying power and lot of Nerd points.

With the current Valentines day promotion.... price is comparable, so that is out of the way (although I never considered that).
    I am waiting for the next revision of the Moto X, then I will definitely switch back.

So there you go.
    01-27-2014 07:19 PM
    4. Nexus 5 let's you choose 3G if you like
    - Moto X only lets you choose 2G or automatic (no 3G only)
    - My office has bad reception, so 4G sucks battery
    - With Nexus 5, I keep it in 3G
    - With Moto X, I had to choose 2G and switch to automatic when leaving work
    - This really annoyed me (especially the nerd side of me.... maybe you can relate, may you cannot
    go.
    FYI you can force 3g on moto x. Use the app LTE OnOff and it takes you to a menu where you can force 3g.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    01-27-2014 07:55 PM
    FYI you can force 3g on moto x. Use the app LTE OnOff and it takes you to a menu where you can force 3g.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Not on a T-Mobile/Dev version. I think you might be able to on the AT&T version.
    I checked. You can get to the same menu from settings too (or using 'power toggles')...
    01-27-2014 09:02 PM
    This actually did help a lot! Made my decision to get the Moto X more clear. Glad the Nexus 5 works for you! It's a great phone, but your pros for the Moto X are pretty much the reason I'm going with it.
    01-28-2014 04:42 AM
    Not on a T-Mobile/Dev version. I think you might be able to on the AT&T version.
    I checked. You can get to the same menu from settings too (or using 'power toggles')...
    Your device must be messed up or there is user error here. I've had 3 different tmobile Xs between my wife and I, and lte on off works on all of them. I have no problems whatsoever forcing hspa or edge if I want to.

Of course, I am using my tmobile version Xs on AT&T network. So maybe it's only a tmobile network thing. But I can confirm that the lte on off app most certainly works on the tmobile X. If tmobile network doesn't let you use it, that's a different issue altogether which I would assume would be true for all phones, not just the x.
    scrounger likes this.
    01-28-2014 05:37 AM
    I can choose 3G on my Nexus 5 on T-Mobile....
    Hmmm... maybe I will have to check again when my wife gets her Moto X. I will try LTE on off.
    (Last time I was on the phone with Motorola support for a while trying to figure this out...)

Anyone on T Mobile care to chime in?

Sometimes I wonder if the Moto X is not optimized for T Mobile bands....
    01-28-2014 05:50 PM
    I deal with smartphones all day long. The Moto X is a downgrade for most people one of the biggest areas this is seen is in the processor, it is only a 1.7 dual core the camera is also one that not many like. The specs are that of phones 2 years ago. Right now I would have to say the best phone out there is the HTC One with the Nexus 5 right there also. The one reason the Moto X is selling like crazy is because of the customization besides that it is a pretty lackluster phone. As for the Moto G that is mostly geared towards other markets outside of the USA, it is a cheap reliable phone with good specs for a great price and it is also great here in the USA when you break your main phone in the middle of your contract and you need a decent replacement phone at a decent price until your contract allows you to upgrade.
    02-25-2014 07:37 AM
    I deal with smartphones all day long. The Moto X is a downgrade for most people one of the biggest areas this is seen is in the processor, it is only a 1.7 dual core the camera is also one that not many like. The specs are that of phones 2 years ago. Right now I would have to say the best phone out there is the HTC One with the Nexus 5 right there also. The one reason the Moto X is selling like crazy is because of the customization besides that it is a pretty lackluster phone. As for the Moto G that is mostly geared towards other markets outside of the USA, it is a cheap reliable phone with good specs for a great price and it is also great here in the USA when you break your main phone in the middle of your contract and you need a decent replacement phone at a decent price until your contract allows you to upgrade.
    This sort of uneducated misinformation is exactly the type of thing we try to avoid. Please do research prior to following the advice of a post like this. The Moto X isn't winning phone of the year awards because of customization, but because of it's actual real world performance and its advances on the paradigm of device use cases and return for value.
    Ry, davidnc, ultravisitor and 6 others like this.
    02-25-2014 09:07 AM
    I deal with smartphones all day long. The Moto X is a downgrade for most people one of the biggest areas this is seen is in the processor, it is only a 1.7 dual core the camera is also one that not many like. The specs are that of phones 2 years ago...
    I had both a Nexus 5 and Moto X on hand and after several weeks choose the Moto X. There was no noticeable UI performance difference, and the Moto X comes out of the box with features that others can't duplicate with software alone (without significantly sacrificing battery life).

IMO, people who focus solely on specs instead of the benefit those specs provide are missing the point. I'll admit that a device with a faster processor or "more cores" are likely to have a longer usable life, but I won't trade current usability features for prolonged device life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Ry likes this.
    02-25-2014 10:05 PM
    I had an S4, HTC One, iPhone 5 and 5s. The Moto X trumps them all in usability and functionality. The Moto X is selling like crazy because people are realizing it's a better phone overall. Even with a dual core, the phone is smoother than a S4! Touchless controls and active notifications are the greatest innovations in a smartphone yet!
    redeyss likes this.
    02-25-2014 10:51 PM
    I bought a Moto X, had it for 3 weeks and returned for a Nexus 5, don't regret the decision.
    Now my wife is going to get a Moto X, I am encouraging here.

So there you go.
    Great post.
    Thanks for your observations.
    Ordered another X for my wife.
    She likes mine. ;-)
    02-26-2014 09:30 AM
    Looking at the spec's can do that to you.
    Take into consideration SD 800's throttle when fully utilized and dual cores make much more sense.
    two gigs of ram is plenty and LTE connectivity is best in class.
    Had an N5 myself and sent it back. it was just a bit too big.
    Still a nice phone and not shabby at all.
    Overall, Motorola's excellence lead to it's being a threat to Googles clients.
    So the G and X, IMO, were too good.
    Go figure.
    Ry likes this.
    02-26-2014 10:07 AM
89 ... 234