Is going from the Nexus 5 to the Moto X considered a "downgrade"?

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 that's about two months old, which I do like, but am heavily getting discouraged from going to a Moto X. I switched from an HTC One in November because that device stopped working properly. I like the Nexus 5 but I love some of the Moto X's features: most notably touch less control, active notifications, better battery life, and the display is better (to my eyes anyway). So far my friend says not to do it it's a downgrade, and my wife says "no you just got that phone." My pro list outweighed my con list for getting the Moto X. Do you think I am downgrading if I do this and should I just stick with what I have?

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
It would be a downgrade to some people and an upgrade for others. Your pro/con list is the only one that matters. If your friend isn't helping pay for your phones then he or she doesn't get a vote. For your wife's benefit put the cost of the up- (or down-) grade in your list, too.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Its not a downgrade at all it's more of a sidestep. Both phones are very nice. There are also done apps that can fill your needs. For active notifications you can use Dynamic Notifications (its close).

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. The cost would be zero as I could sell the Nexus and get the Moto X off contract. She thinks I can't make up my mind with phones lately. For the sake of discussion, here's my pro/con list.

Pros:
Active Notifications
Touchless Control and better Voice response (a must for me, but N5's version has been satisfactory)
AMOLED screen looks much sharper (did a side by side comparison)
Still gets updates pretty quickly
Better battery life and battery management than N5
Better case support (N5 doesn't get support from bigger case companies like Otterbox and Speck)
Better Camera and Camera Software

Cons:*
Smaller Screen (4.5 or so with onscreen buttons vs. 4.8 or so on Nexus 5 with buttons)
No Wireless Charging (didn't think I would like or want this feature)
May not get updates as fast as a Nexus device
I like N5's Google Experience launcher, but I think Nova launcher delivers similar looks.
Weaker processor.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I had both the Nexus 5 and Moto X on hand for about 3 weeks, eventually deciding to keep the Moto X and return the Nexus 5. I found the battery life on the Nexus 5 to be horrible; I normally charge my phone only while I'm sleeping at night, but the Nexus 5 battery NEVER lasted long enough for that, while the Moto X battery NEVER had less than 30% left. For that reason alone I returned the Nexus 5 - I would have gone back to my Galaxy Nexus if the Moto X wasn't an option. But on a day-to-day basis, when I had to choose which phone to carry that day, I found myself increasingly reaching for the Moto X, choosing the Nexus 5 only when I like I felt like I should give it another chance while I still had it.

I really love Touchless Controls (I use it mostly in the car, or when I have gloves on), and Active Display. It was clear which phone was right more me, but it's really an individual decision, just like choosing any new phone. Given your comments, if you can wrap your head around the idea that experience trumps specs, I think you'd be very happy with the Moto X. I think the hardest part would be convincing the wife that it's a good idea. Don't let anyone convince you it's a downgrade.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
First "newer" phone was the N5 found it just a tad to large.
Went to a Moto G; which is a good phone.
Finally settled on the X, not looking back.
Great phone.
Good Luck.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. The cost would be zero as I could sell the Nexus and get the Moto X off contract. She thinks I can't make up my mind with phones lately. For the sake of discussion, here's my pro/con list.

Pros:
Active Notifications
Touchless Control and better Voice response (a must for me, but N5's version has been satisfactory)
AMOLED screen looks much sharper (did a side by side comparison)
Still gets updates pretty quickly
Better battery life and battery management than N5
Better case support (N5 doesn't get support from bigger case companies like Otterbox and Speck)
Better Camera and Camera Software

Cons:*
Smaller Screen (4.5 or so with onscreen buttons vs. 4.8 or so on Nexus 5 with buttons)
No Wireless Charging (didn't think I would like or want this feature)
May not get updates as fast as a Nexus device
I like N5's Google Experience launcher, but I think Nova launcher delivers similar looks.
Weaker processor.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You can install the Nexus launcher on the X, so take that off the con list.

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You can install the Google launcher on the nexus on the Moto X. Been using it since it came out.

Posted via Android Central App

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
If you think the Moto X is a better phone for your needs, then who cares what anyone else thinks? The fact of the matter is that we can debate for weeks about which phone is better....which should tell you something. They're both excellent.

Don't look at it as "downgrade" or "upgrade."

AndroidBIO

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The only downside will be seeing the difference in screen size and having it feel weird at first. The one thing the Moto X has over the Nexus 5 is it's ability to manage battery life really well.

I mean, just today my battery was at 3% and once I closed all my apps, it stayed at 3% for about 40 minutes.

Also, as a person who's constantly checking the time, just the fact that I can take the phone out my pocket and having the time automatically show without needing to press the power button is a blessing.

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

That's true too. I think I would experiment with Nova though if I went with the Moto X. The only reason I stick with the GE launcher is because I need the OK Google voice command in the car.

Given your comments, if you can wrap your head around the idea that experience trumps specs, I think you'd be very happy with the Moto X. I think the hardest part would be convincing the wife that it's a good idea. Don't let anyone convince you it's a downgrade.

That is the hardest part, but I hope she relents in the end. Even though I love the N5, the Moto X is looking like a better decision overall.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 5 that's about two months old, which I do like, but am heavily getting discouraged from going to a Moto X. I switched from an HTC One in November because that device stopped working properly. I like the Nexus 5 but I love some of the Moto X's features: most notably touch less control, active notifications, better battery life, and the display is better (to my eyes anyway). So far my friend says not to do it it's a downgrade, and my wife says "no you just got that phone." My pro list outweighed my con list for getting the Moto X. Do you think I am downgrading if I do this and should I just stick with what I have?

Yes, I believe that it would be a downgrade.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

But remember that if you load the Google Experience Launcher on the Moto X, it might not be as good as it is on the Nexus 5. It will most likely be a little bit buggy.

Sent from my out-of-this-world Galaxy S3

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I've had both and there are strengths to each, so I'm not sure you can call one an upgrade over the other. I prefer the Moto X's smaller screen and feel. I prefer some of the Moto X features like rotate to take a pic, active notifications and touchless controls, but there is a huge caveat to that --- touchless controls has screwed up Google Voice Commands in Kit Kat (there are several threads on it, here and elsewhere, Moto has acknowledged it but it isn't fixed).

If the camera is important, the Nexus 5 is well ahead in quality of pic IMO - I saw others here post the Moto X takes a better pic, that was not my experience at all. The Moto has serious issues with pics in fluorescent lighting and is also much slower than the Nexus 5.

The Nexus 5 has the new dialer, which Moto X does not.

nfotiu

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
The only downside will be seeing the difference in screen size and having it feel weird at first. The one thing the Moto X has over the Nexus 5 is it's ability to manage battery life really well.

I mean, just today my battery was at 3% and once I closed all my apps, it stayed at 3% for about 40 minutes.

Also, as a person who's constantly checking the time, just the fact that I can take the phone out my pocket and having the time automatically show without needing to press the power button is a blessing.

I am also a huge fan of active notifications. One of my favorite things is how movie theater friendly it is. Pull it out and it shows everything you need to know without turning a bright screen on or even fiddling for a power button. I hope i never have to have another phone without active notification.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had both and there are strengths to each, so I'm not sure you can call one an upgrade over the other. I prefer the Moto X's smaller screen and feel. I prefer some of the Moto X features like rotate to take a pic, active notifications and touchless controls, but there is a huge caveat to that ---........

For a daily driver that feels comfortable in the hand. Lasts all day so one isn't on a constant power search.
These are enough to win me over. I find the camera to be adequate, having sent the N5 back I can't compare side by side.
The X impressed me in low light, but neither blew me away.
Moto X dialer is an irritant but in reality it adds two extra pokes of a finger for what I need.
Both are speedy; I can't discern that much of a difference between the two in usage.
End of the day: after using the Moto X anything larger seems bulky, cumbersome.
Going purely by spec: Nexus wins hands down.
After using both: it is an individual choice that I don't think the Nexus can win.
Both are good phones.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
But remember that if you load the Google Experience Launcher on the Moto X, it might not be as good as it is on the Nexus 5. It will most likely be a little bit buggy.

I've not used a Nexus 5, but the nexus launcher on my Maxx is perfectly smooth, as good or better than the native moto launcher. I've been using exclusively as my only launcher for about 6 weeks and have not thought about turning it off.

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I've not used a Nexus 5, but the nexus launcher on my Maxx is perfectly smooth, as good or better than the native moto launcher. I've been using exclusively as my only launcher for about 6 weeks and have not thought about turning it off.

I know it works perfect on some phones, but I was just saying it as a warning that it might not work properly on the Moto X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret