Moto X: General consensus?

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Currently have a Razr Maxx...looking to upgrade. Can't decide between the Droid Maxx, HTC One and Moto X.

How do you guys like the X?
How's the battery life?
Does it have a removable SIM?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: General consensus?

1. Yes. Much more than any device I've ever owned and I'd still pick it over the Nexus 5, which for me is a big thing. I <3 Nexus but Moto X features and shape outdo it.
2. Expect 18-28 hours depending on your usage and conditions, could be +/- a lot. I currently have no issues getting through from eyes open to shut on a charge, but the Maxx is obviously better in this category with the ability to go for 2 days on a charge.
3. Yes. It's a Nano SIM, goes in a tray on the side opposite of the buttons (left if you're looking at the face).

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Thank you for the quick reply. I've been rocking the Razr Maxx for over two years now...kinda out of the loop on phones and when I started researching them again, it's like..wow!! LOL

- Can we the X be rooted?
- I see some of having problems with KitKat...are you?

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I'd wait for the next wave of phones to come out in the coming months.

However, if you can't wait a few months, I would go with the Moto X or HTC One. The two best phones of 2013.

Posted via Android Central App

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I'd wait for the next wave of phones to come out in the coming months.

However, if you can't wait a few months, I would go with the Moto X or HTC One. The two best phones of 2013.

Posted via Android Central App

Well, I'm currently stationed in Germany and will be coming back to the US for a business trip next month. I was wanting to do it then.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for the quick reply. I've been rocking the Razr Maxx for over two years now...kinda out of the loop on phones and when I started researching them again, it's like..wow!! LOL

- Can we the X be rooted?
- I see some of having problems with KitKat...are you?

Yes, but it is not clean on the standard version. There is a specific developer version that's easily unlockable and rootable for both the x and the maxx.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Well, I'm currently stationed in Germany and will be coming back to the US for a business trip next month. I was wanting to do it then.

HTC we're expecting this spring, while moto will probably be in August for next big releases. Does Google Now work well in Germany on your RAZR?

XT1060. Through spacetime.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Currently have a Razr Maxx...looking to upgrade. Can't decide between the Droid Maxx, HTC One and Moto X.

1 . How do you guys like the X?
2. How's the battery life?
3. Does it have a removable SIM?

Thanks!

1. Its perfect for me.The size of the phone isnt to big, feels good in hand, OS runs smooth, no lag, quick updates,few bloatware(stock vzw).Useful features: active notifications,touchless control.

2. Battery life has been the best of any android phone I had so far. 20+ hours easy ,to upwards to 36 hrs. is common for me.Basically I dont worry about battery.I would put my use any where from constant medium user up to heavy use at times.

3. yes

Last edited:

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

How do you guys like the X?
How's the battery life?
Does it have a removable SIM?

Thanks!
It's a great little phone. Getting a little long in the tooth thigh so keep that in mind.
Battery is average.
Yes the sim is removable.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

1. I like the X a lot. It feels well built and very solid.
2. Battery life is very good. It's pretty close to my iPhone 5. I won't complain about it.
3. Yes the SIM is removable.

The new Razr Maxx is essentially the Moto X with a slightly bigger screen and of course the maxx battery. So you could get the epic battery of the Maxx with the upgraded internals of the X. They both run the same processor setup. The Maxx also does not have touchless controls or active notifications. Don't listen to anyone who claims the X is getting old or long in the tooth, they are insane. The X has more than enough CPU power and the same 2GB of RAM (probably the most important thing) as the top Android phones.

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

The new Droids (Maxx, Ultra, and Mini) have the same capabilities as the Moto X. Same chip setup, active display, and touchless control. With the Droid Maxx having the larger battery if you are on Verizon getting the Droid Maxx would be a great choice. I don’t see a down side to it over the Moto X.

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

The new Droids (Maxx, Ultra, and Mini) have the same capabilities as the Moto X. Same chip setup, active display, and touchless control. With the Droid Maxx having the larger battery if you are on Verizon getting the Droid Maxx would be a great choice. I don’t see a down side to it over the Moto X.

According to other posts, the MAXX does NOT have touchless control and active display. Does it?

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

My wife has a Moto X, and loves it! If you would threaten to take it from her, she would say, "Out of my cold, dead hands!"

As far as battery like, it's by far the best of any phone on any platform that I've had. She's a heavy user, and usually around bedtime it's time to plug it in. Here's a screenshot:

Screenshot_2013-12-30-23-17-06.png

It was not plugged in at all during the day, so this is one charge. It doesn't usually last quite that long though. She's normally at 5.5 - 6.5 hours screen on time, which is still excellent.

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site

According to other posts, the MAXX does NOT have touchless control and active display. Does it?
The only reason I can see people think this way is because of Moto?s website. It does not name them like it does with the Moto X. Verizon Website does advertises all of this though. My Dad is on Verizon and I was looking into the Maxx for him. It has it and I have seen it on the demo. Also if you look at the Apps in the play Store it says only compatible with-

- Droid Ultra
- Droid Mini
- Droid Maxx
- Moto X

I think they may have made Active Display available after the Moto X came out though. But the Droids with X8 got it.

If on Verizon go with the Droid Maxx over the Moto X. You get all the same features with a better battery.

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Absolutely yes, it does -- touchless control, active notification, and twist to launch camera are all on the Droid Maxx.

Like you, I had a Razr Maxx for two years. I bought an X when they first came out on Verizon. Coming from the Razr Maxx, i was very disappointed with the X's battery life. It may be good compared to some folks experiences, but compared to the Razr Maxx, it was pretty bad. With the same apps/environment as my Razr Maxx, I went from 36 hours of battery to less than 12 (to get the 15% warning).

I returned the X and bought a Droid Maxx. It is great. Just a bit bigger than the Razr Maxx (a little taller), but it has a bigger screen. It feels like a more polished Razr Maxx. I should have just bought it first.

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Absolutely yes, it does -- touchless control, active notification, and twist to launch camera are all on the Droid Maxx.

Like you, I had a Razr Maxx for two years. I bought an X when they first came out on Verizon. Coming from the Razr Maxx, i was very disappointed with the X's battery life. It may be good compared to some folks experiences, but compared to the Razr Maxx, it was pretty bad. With the same apps/environment as my Razr Maxx, I went from 36 hours of battery to less than 12 (to get the 15% warning).

I returned the X and bought a Droid Maxx. It is great. Just a bit bigger than the Razr Maxx (a little taller), but it has a bigger screen. It feels like a more polished Razr Maxx. I should have just bought it first.

Interesting...thank you very much!!

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

BTW, do you know if the Maxx can be rooted?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power