Moto X: Valentine’s Day Sale starts 1/27 through 2/14

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X: Valentine?s Day Sale starts 2014-01-27

Maybe it's just me but I don't feel like I'm lacking with my 720p screen. 1080 might be useful for 5.2 inch screens and larger.

It's not just you. I don't need a 1080p screen to read email or Facebook or Twitter or to watch YouTube while on the go or look at pictures taken with other smartphones. When I was buying a TV a few years ago, I was only looking to buy 1080p, but for a phone? Simply not necessary.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Got an rma, my bamboo32 is going to be shipped out.
Sorry boo, I mean it's not like we've been together for long.
Its only 12 days, yeah they sure were glorious.
Your young, full of life, someone will come along and.....hey don't notify me like that ..oh, sorry, the FedEx label hit the in-box.
Heard your cousin Walnut might stop by, What do you mean? there is no way I'd throw him out....
unless of course there's another crazy sale...within two weeks.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

You should get more than $280 for your note 3. They are going for $400+ on eBay and craiglist. I know some people don't like to deal with the hassle that either one of those two can be, but that's a pretty big price discrepancy. I would at least think about it.

Gazelle gives prices on the low end. This may not be a fair comparison, but when I sold my iPhone 3G (jailbroken and unlocked) about a year ago, Samsung offered me about $20-$25 if a bought one of their phones and Gazelle offered me $15. I then put it on sale on Craigslist ($100) and eBay (starting bid @ $100) at the same time. Someone had offered to buy it on Craiglist for my asking price, but then I got a bunch of bids on eBay and ended up selling it for $190 (probably netted $160 after eBay, Paypal fees). After hearing about some Craigslist horror stories, e.g. "buyers" walking away with the phone, counterfeit bills, these days, I may go with Swappa or eBay.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

It's not just you. I don't need a 1080p screen to read email or Facebook or Twitter or to watch YouTube while on the go or look at pictures taken with other smartphones. When I was buying a TV a few years ago, I was only looking to buy 1080p, but for a phone? Simply not necessary.

I also don't care if the next Moto 2 doesn't have 1080. Irrelevant expecially if we get better battery life at 720. Screen looks awesome on my Moto X. No complaints. In fact only thing I can think of is a camera upgrade. I could also wish for water proof or even better battery life maybe .
But the screen and speed, etc is just fine in my book.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm right there with you. I'm gonna sell my Note 3 on Gazelle. Already checked and they'll give me $280 for it. Plus I have an original iPad I may sell as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Gadget Gobbler pays better than Gazelle. I've sold 3 phones to them in the past because they always offered the most. Never had any problems with them either. I'll sell to them again in the future.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Will anyone buy the Moto X 2 in the first month or two it is released?

I love the sales (got my dev edition for $399) but I hope they don't try to launch another phone at $549+ again after this price free fall the last few months.

I was set on getting the X2 on launch but now I might stick with the Moto X a bit longer. This sale will probably give me a wood back and I'll unload my other one. It just depends on what X2 has in comparison and at which price point they start at.

Tbh I kinda doubt they will start at the $600 or so mark with the X2. I'd be very surprised if it launched over $499. I'm guessing they are seeing a lot more profit by selling these at $300-$400.

I don't agree they're "selling at a loss" to get ppl in doors because what you are doing is getting cheap ppl through the door. They're providing a good "value" for a phone atm, if the next gen comes up to $600 then you won't see the same kind of evaluation on ppl willing to buy.

Then again I was surprised when I saw the pricing of the Moto X, and I think most ppl were as well. So I could be wrong.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

That's one way to look at it. Another way is that it's a long-term strategy; take the financial hit now for a gain in market share/visibility and consider it an investment for the future.

Selling the "value" phone can very easily backfire though. If they gain the reputation of hugely discounting a phone quickly after release, no one will buy it until it is discounted. It is the same stigma as with all of Google's hardware. Everyone expects them to just give it away because that is what they have always done. So if they ever decide to up the retail on a Nexus phone, everyone will just complain despite it being as good as all the other phones in the upper price range. This is part of the reason the gnex was so ridiculed.

I have a very hard time seeing moto undervalue a phone for 6 solid months. It is just not the best way to get your product out there. Consumers want to feel like they are paying premium for a great product. Is is classic apple philosophy. Over price and make them feel like they are better than everyone else. I am not suggesting that moto do this, but I am suggesting that going the opposite direction for an extended period of time is a bad idea.

I just hope that they do not release the "x2" a month before the iPhone again. That was deliberate stupidity. They need to either release 3+ months before or right after the iPhone. That way they are not in a Grey area when everyone is waiting to see other phones release.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Selling the "value" phone can very easily backfire though. If they gain the reputation of hugely discounting a phone quickly after release, no one will buy it until it is discounted. It is the same stigma as with all of Google's hardware. Everyone expects them to just give it away because that is what they have always done. So if they ever decide to up the retail on a Nexus phone, everyone will just complain despite it being as good as all the other phones in the upper price range. This is part of the reason the gnex was so ridiculed.
Lots of people bought the GNex. Lots.

While I agree with you that the plan can backfire, not many were buying the Moto X to try it out. THAT is way worse than the possibility of gaining the reputation of being a mid-range brand. Motorola IS a mid-range brand when it comes to specs. They don't have the best processors and they don't have the best cameras. Now while those specs work for many people, it doesn't work for many people if you stick a high end price tag on a mid-range spec phone.

I have a very hard time seeing moto undervalue a phone for 6 solid months. It is just not the best way to get your product out there. Consumers want to feel like they are paying premium for a great product. Is is classic apple philosophy. Over price and make them feel like they are better than everyone else. I am not suggesting that moto do this, but I am suggesting that going the opposite direction for an extended period of time is a bad idea.

There isn't room in the market for too many companies who overprice their phones! I can't agree with you that Apple's philosophy is that. First, Apple's philosophy is to have software and hardware that is tightly integrated to idiotproof their devices. By design, that can't happen with Android because Google develops the OS independent of the hardware design. Apple does the complete opposite of that.

Second, Apple has brick and mortar stores and that is something lots of people like having available to them.

Third, Apple makes only 1 and now 2 phones a year and that allows accessory manufacturers to produce accessories in sufficient volume to reap the rewards of volume sales. Lots and lots and lots of iPhone users like their iPhones because of the wide range of accessories that are available for them. With at least 4 different android manufacturers pumping out more than 2 different phones a year each, there aren't near as many accessories available for android phones because it doesn't make financial sense for the accessory manufacturers.

Fourth, iPhone cases ARE premium and that makes them look and feel like premium devices and consumers are more willing to pay a premium price for them for that reason. You can't just slap a premium price tag on a plastic android with mid-range hardware and expect people to buy it. That is what Motorola did when it released the Moto X and not many people bought them until they brought their prices more in line with the specs of the phone. While I like the user experience I get with my Moto X, I would not have paid $550 off contract for a 16GB plastic, 720 HD AMOLED Moto X with a dual core processor and mediocre camera.

I just hope that they do not release the "x2" a month before the iPhone again. That was deliberate stupidity. They need to either release 3+ months before or right after the iPhone. That way they are not in a Grey area when everyone is waiting to see other phones release.
I have to disagree here, too. Those people interested in the next iPhone weren't considering a Moto X by and large.

I think Motorola has a better chance of attracting Samsung phone users, like myself, than attracting iPhone users at this point and what is attracting us is that the cost is lower but the user experience is better despite the mid-range specs AND that the Moto X is near stock and there is no touchwiz to deal with. And for many of us Verizon GNex refugees, the easily unlockable bootloader was an attraction since we can't get a Nexus 5 on Verizon.

I don't think it was stupidity at all to release the Moto X at the exact same time those of us with GNexi were eligible for upgrades. We were the likely buyers of the Moto X.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Will anyone buy the Moto X 2 in the first month or two it is released?

I love the sales (got my dev edition for $399) but I hope they don't try to launch another phone at $549+ again after this price free fall the last few months.

I've thought about that. If history repeats itself, I may wait until at least Cyber Monday to see if Moto will have a sale. My plan is to get a Moto G as my holdover Android phone, sell my N5 in August, wait to see what the N6 is about, and decide between the X2 and N6.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I've thought about that. If history repeats itself, I may wait until at least Cyber Monday to see if Moto will have a sale.
Many people wait until the Black Friday deals to buy iPhones, so that type of behavior is not related to placing a premium price on a phone.

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Think I am going to try and take advantage of this promo ... Have a (Verizon) Note 3 and been most displeased with call quality and data signal (had a note 2 before and had no such issues). I just hope I can deal with the drastically different size!

Trying to decide if the developer edition is worth the price of designing my own device LOL

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

Moto prices the Moto X at the same level as all the other flagships at launch: zomg too expensive!
Moto prices the Moto X at a discount four months after launch: zomg cheap piece of crap!

I see your point, but the criticism surrounding this phone is just absolutely hilarious to those of us that own it and love it.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Trying to decide if the developer edition is worth the price of designing my own device LOL
If you want to unlock it and keep your warranty, it is. Motorola will not give you an unlock code for any verizon Moto X except the Dev Ed.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Moto prices the Moto X at the same level as all the other flagships at launch: zomg too expensive!
Moto prices the Moto X at a discount four months after launch: zomg cheap piece of crap!

I see your point, but the criticism surrounding this phone is just absolutely hilarious to those of us that own it and love it.
And I don't think people think the Nexus 5 is a cheap piece of crap just because it is priced so low. I think people understand that Google is subsidizing the phone. Well, Google is subsidizing Motorola and the Moto X, too.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

So should I build my device and be ready to pull the trigger at 3pm EST?

Are they emailing out the sale info at some point?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

So should I build my device and be ready to pull the trigger at 3pm EST?

Are they emailing out the sale info at some point?

They're sending out codes. You don't have to be ready to buy right at 3:00. In fact, you will probably have to wait at least an hour before you receive your code.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

They're sending out codes. You don't have to be ready to buy right at 3:00. In fact, you will probably have to wait at least an hour before you receive your code.
OK so again, just register for a code like the last time?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood