02-22-2014 01:58 AM
71 123
tools
    Gorgeous!

What color is the writing, silver? You don't get to choose the color of the Verizon logo, right?
    The writing is whitish, and no you don't get to choose the color of the logo.

I will say that both the engraving and Verizon logo are printed onto the wood, so those aren't as "sharp" as they are on a regular colored back. Basically the engraving and the Verizon logo on a regular colored back are clean and sharp, but on the wood back, you can kinda see the grains of the printing ink (or whatever the use) of the engraving and logo. It probably has to do with printing on wood vs plastic/the soft touch material, but it's not a big deal and you'd have to look at it on close inspection.
    01-27-2014 03:58 PM
    The writing is whitish, and no you don't get to choose the color of the logo.

I will say that both the engraving and Verizon logo are printed onto the wood, so those aren't as "sharp" as they are on a regular colored back. Basically the engraving and the Verizon logo on a regular colored back are clean and sharp, but on the wood back, you can kinda see the grains of the printing ink (or whatever the use) of the engraving and logo. It probably has to do with printing on wood vs plastic/the soft touch material, but it's not a big deal and you'd have to look at it on close inspection.
    I wonder if I got extra, extra fine steel wool if I could sand it off?
    01-27-2014 04:09 PM
    I wonder if I got extra, extra fine steel wool if I could sand it off?
    You probably could, though you might also damage the wood. Hard to say.
    01-27-2014 04:13 PM
    Thanks so much for the pics, guys! I ended up ordering the walnut/black/black but it was hard deciding between the ebony and the walnut they are both so awesome looking!!!!
    01-27-2014 10:08 PM
    I chose bamboo, but I don't know why Motorola decided it should have white frame around it, while the ebony one gets black. Just ruin the look.
    01-27-2014 11:08 PM
    I chose bamboo, but I don't know why Motorola decided it should have white frame around it, while the ebony one gets black. Just ruin the look.
    The 2 lighter woods, teak and bamboo, have white frames. The 2 darker woods, ebony and walnut, have black frames. I am sure this is so those who like white phones have a wood that goes with the white face of the phone.

I have a Dev Ed and the back is woven white with a white frame and the front is black. It doesn't look bad at all.

Hopefully in the future, the frames will be customizable, too. Send Motorola your feedback on this. I am and perhaps in the future they can implement customizable frames.
    01-27-2014 11:13 PM
    I'm jealous of all these great walnut back pieces. Wish they were available when I got mine, or we were able to put one on after the fact. Oh well.

Posted via Android Central App
    I was at a local sprint store today and I mentioned the wood back moto x's as the lady was putting a screen protector on my phone, and she said there was a way to actually put a wood back on a non wood moto x. Not sure at all if its possible, but that's what she said.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    01-27-2014 11:22 PM
    I was at a local sprint store today and I mentioned the wood back moto x's as the lady was putting a screen protector on my phone, and she said there was a way to actually put a wood back on a non wood moto x. Not sure at all if its possible, but that's what she said.
    There are videos about how to do this, but you need the right tools and of course, you could screw up your device if you aren't careful.
    01-27-2014 11:35 PM
    There are videos about how to do this, but you need the right tools and of course, you could screw up your device if you aren't careful.
    I assumed so. I don't think I would risk it. I enjoy mine anyway

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    01-27-2014 11:40 PM
    The 2 lighter woods, teak and bamboo, have white frames. The 2 darker woods, ebony and walnut, have black frames. I am sure this is so those who like white phones have a wood that goes with the white face of the phone.

I have a Dev Ed and the back is woven white with a white frame and the front is black. It doesn't look bad at all.

Hopefully in the future, the frames will be customizable, too. Send Motorola your feedback on this. I am and perhaps in the future they can implement customizable frames.
    I called them up and asked if I can change it to ebony, but they said status is already "exported". So I did ask them to forward my feedback to have black 'trim' for the bamboo color. Not sure what exported means, but if its already ready to ship out several hours after my order than I'm impressed.
    01-28-2014 12:17 AM
    I called them up and asked if I can change it to ebony, but they said status is already "exported". So I did ask them to forward my feedback to have black 'trim' for the bamboo color.
    You are able to get 1 free redesign so you send it back and exchange it for the ebony. No additional cost and if you complain that you asked to cancel within a very short time of ordering, then they will send you a prepaid return shipping label.
    01-28-2014 12:20 AM
    I just posted this in the Share Moto X design thread, but I'll repost here since a few were asking. The wood back is definitely smoother than the dark colored soft touch backs, but I don't feel like it's so slippery to fall out.

Ebony back, black front, silver accents. The pictures don't do it justice. It looks so premium; my friends and family really like the look.

Attachment 102348
    Attachment 102347

For reference, my old phone that I'm exchanging for it.

Attachment 102344
    Attachment 102345
    Just ordered an ebony with black front and yellow accents. Very excited! Returning my smooth black back/black front/yellow accents current one.
    01-28-2014 03:38 PM
    Just ordered an ebony with black front and yellow accents. Very excited! Returning my smooth black back/black front/yellow accents current one.
    Post pics when you get it! I'm curious to see how colored accents would look with wood. I considered getting orange or yellow accents, but I thought it might be jarring, plus I wanted the wood to stand on its own.
    01-28-2014 11:55 PM
    Can you guys feel the seam on the sides? since the sides are separate, i have been wondering about this.
    thanks
    01-29-2014 01:18 AM
    Take a look at this beauty!!! That white dot was a dust speck that I wiped away. I will post more pics later after I get my bumper to put on it.

By my feel, it feels about as slippery as the smooth touch woven white back on my Dev Ed.

Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?-walnut-moto-x-box.jpg

Does anyone think the bottom right corner looks bad enough to return or is that just how walnut looks?
    01-30-2014 11:58 AM
    Can you guys feel the seam on the sides? since the sides are separate, i have been wondering about this.
    thanks
    What seam are you talking about? Also, I sent you a PM about a code but you never responded. I am going to give it to someone else if you don't want it. Please respond soon.
    01-30-2014 12:04 PM
    Take a look at this beauty!!! That white dot was a dust speck that I wiped away. I will post more pics later after I get my bumper to put on it.

By my feel, it feels about as slippery as the smooth touch woven white back on my Dev Ed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walnut Moto X in the Box.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	303.9 KB 
ID:	102753

Does anyone think the bottom right corner looks bad enough to return or is that just how walnut looks?
    You mean in terms of the darker stained wood? I believe that's a natural look. What one might consider unusual or a 'blemish' is just the natural state of the wood.
    01-30-2014 01:08 PM

I actually think that looks more like the color of walnut.

01-30-2014 01:30 PM
    I actually think that looks more like the color of walnut.
    the color in the pic, which was taken with an iPhone 5, is off. The pic has more of a reddish tint to it than it looks in person. In person it is more brown with a hint of orange in it but not really red.

I will try to take pics in better lighting, but I am not great at photographing things no matter how great of a camera I use!! It is one of the reasons I don't post many pics on the internet because my pics always are so bad and not true to life. Photography is just not a talent of mine.
    01-30-2014 01:43 PM

Very nice. I like the look and that blemish isn't too bad. Adds a lot of character and just shows what's unique about the wood backs. I should have my bamboo one tonight. /fingers crossed
    01-30-2014 02:09 PM
    Now that I have a Moto X bamboo on my hand, I have to say it's very slippery. But not a concern since I'll be using a case.
    01-30-2014 02:52 PM
    Now that I have a Moto X bamboo on my hand, I have to say it's very slippery. But not a concern since I'll be using a case.
    yeah, it is identical in feel as the smooth touch woven white Dev Ed I have. I have a bumper on the way.
    01-30-2014 02:55 PM
    My bumper came in the mail. I would prefer if it were matte rather than shiny, but it is nice and I like how it looks on the device.

Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?-walnut-moto-x-bumper.jpg

This pic was taken with my other Moto X and the focus was centered on the "M". The color in this pic is more true to life but not completely as it doesn't have that washed out look at the top and bottom. Let me know if you want me to take pics from any different angles. I can do a close up of the seam if someone tells me what seam they are talking about.
    01-30-2014 03:48 PM
    Thanks anyways. Got one from someone else. Appreciate it.

01-30-2014 06:27 PM
    thanks
    You can absolutely feel the seam on mine. The wood is a bit inlaid so you feel the edge of the plastic and quite frankly, it feels a bit sharp. Not terribly sharp at all but if I didn't get the bumper, I don't think I would like how it feels in the hand.
    01-30-2014 09:13 PM
71 123