02-22-2014 01:58 AM
71 123
tools
    Now that I have a Moto X bamboo on my hand, I have to say it's very slippery. But not a concern since I'll be using a case.
    can you feel the edge of the plastic as if the wood piece sits slightly lower so it is kind of sharp feeling? Not very sharp, but you feel the edge of the plastic frame?
    01-30-2014 11:28 PM
    I will say that both the engraving and Verizon logo are printed onto the wood, so those aren't as "sharp" as they are on a regular colored back.
    can you feel the gap where the wood piece and the plastic frame come together? Is your wood just a bit lower so you can feel the edge of the plastic frame?

Mine is.
    01-30-2014 11:31 PM
    can you feel the edge of the plastic as if the wood piece sits slightly lower so it is kind of sharp feeling? Not very sharp, but you feel the edge of the plastic frame?
    Yes, I feel it, but its not uncomfortable, It won't be like the Nexus 5. I still like the Nexus 4 sides best since it's very comfortable and grippy at the sametime. It's definitely one of thing that turned me off from the N5.

I will do probably like with the Nexus 4 for the Moto X, use front and back wet applied screen protector and a tpu bumper case.
    01-31-2014 12:06 AM
    I will do probably like with the Nexus 4 for the Moto X, use front and back wet applied screen protector and a tpu bumper case.
    What brand for the back protector? I am tempted to just go with the tpu bumper case and a front screen protector so that I can feel the wood.
    01-31-2014 12:19 AM
    What brand for the back protector? I am tempted to just go with the tpu bumper case and a front screen protector so that I can feel the wood.
    I used to use Skinomi, they have good durability. They have clear front, back and side skin. What I don't like is that you have to be very careful with installing them and it's harder to get perfect since the adhesive sticks very quickly away so there is more potential to get it wrong on your first try. Skinomi skin is thick so it have good healing properties too. Like dbrand, they have 3M sticker for the back, they're basically the same material as dbrand and cheaper.

Now I use XtremeGuard since they are so cheap, the touch feel I think is a little less smooth than Skinomi, but very usable. They're also a lot easier to install since they don't stick so fast so you have time to adjust the placement.

You just have to be careful with wet applied screen protectors to not damage your phone or trigger the water damage detector. I guess its less of a concern with the Moto X. Just have to use the least amount of water as necessary and put the phone over a napkin or towel to dry it right away.

I love using wet applied type though, they can last for months or a year depend on your use. They are excellent at hiding display scratches, so if you have used phones with screen scratches, if they aren't thick it'll hide them all. Also they gives good grip.
    01-31-2014 12:40 AM
    A few observations:

1. The back is about the same texture as the woven backs. It is not soft touch like my navy back one.

2. The wood is inlaid in the back so you can feel the small ridge between the back and the side piece. It does not wrap around like the plastic backs.

3. The dimple around the Motorola logo is not as large, nor is it as pronounced.

4. The ebony is b-e-a-utiful.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    barbieXII and jephanie like this.
    01-31-2014 03:30 AM
    A few observations:

1. The back is about the same texture as the woven backs. It is not soft touch like my navy back one.

2. The wood is inlaid in the back so you can feel the small ridge between the back and the side piece. It does not wrap around like the plastic backs.

3. The dimple around the Motorola logo is not as large, nor is it as pronounced.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    This pretty much describes my phone as well, though I don't feel the side seams as others have mentioned. The phone overall feels like a premium device. I love it.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-31-2014 07:03 AM
    My Ebony back isn't slippery,I will use a Cimo case on it
    Attached Thumbnails Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?-2014-01-30-10.45.08.jpg   Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?-2014-01-30-10.45.08.jpg  
    jephanie likes this.
    01-31-2014 07:20 AM
    pics of my walnut back
    Looks like the Ebony back.
    01-31-2014 08:03 AM
    Looks like the Ebony back.
    It is Ebony
    01-31-2014 08:23 AM
    The woven black is soft touch and the woven white is smooth touch. These wood backs feel about the same as the smooth touch backs.

Same with mine.

Same with mine.

So is the walnut!!!!!
    01-31-2014 10:58 AM
    Comparison shots...

Inlaid back of wood vs. wrapped molding of plastic

Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?-img_1287.jpg

Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?-img_1288.jpg

Moto dimple on back

Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?-img_1289.jpg

Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?-img_1290.jpg
    asdrew and jephanie like this.
    01-31-2014 02:40 PM
    Does anyone have either ebony or walnut with a white front?? I really like those two woods, and also really want a white front, but I'm just not sure of how it will look... doesn't seem like many people veer away from having the front match the sides for some reason, but I'd love to see how that looks...

I've seen pictures of the bamboo with a black front, and the white sides are visually very noticeable (not necessarily a bad thing) but I feel like going from a dark wood to a black side to a white front wouldn't look quite as harsh -- especially more-so with the ebony, but I'm not sure
    01-31-2014 03:07 PM
    Does anyone have either ebony or walnut with a white front??
    You can kind of get an idea from the moto maker site rendition. For this rendition I did white front, ebony back and black accents:

Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?-ebony-white-front-black-accents.png
    asdrew likes this.
    01-31-2014 03:30 PM
    I got a black front because of the nature of the Moto X's AMOLED display, not to color coordinate with the side panels.
    01-31-2014 03:32 PM
    I wouldn't call my new teak back slippery, but while it feels good it is not as grippy as the Navy one I had.Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?-img_20140131_171436.jpg
    01-31-2014 05:25 PM
    Here is a pic of a brand new just out of the box walnut back (right) side-by-side with a walnut back I have had for over a week now (left).

You can see how the wood grain loses that hazy, blurred look over time. I think it is the nano coating that causes the wood to look like that at first. Out of the box the wood looks like it has a matte coating. Over time I think the oils from my fingers have been absorbed and the coating is not as matte looking; its more shiny.

The color looks richer over time, too. The color of the older back (left) looks more red in the picture than it does IRL. It's more brown IRL, not so red.
    Attached Thumbnails Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?-wood-backs-side-side.jpg  
    Doomed#AC likes this.
    02-07-2014 09:48 AM
    My ebony is really slippery. Compared to the dark matte backs. Its night and day.

Posted via Android Central App
    02-12-2014 09:44 PM
    My ebony is really slippery. Compared to the dark matte backs. Its night and day.
    The dark backs are soft touch and they are grippy. The ebony is no more slippery than the smooth touch backs, like the white backs.
    02-12-2014 09:46 PM
    Not too bad. I just got mine today and have it in my hand right now.. the darkest wood one Ebony or Teak.

A lot less slippery than the carbon fiber white - I had one for a day and sent it back when the wood ones launched for $25 upcharge.
    02-22-2014 01:55 AM
    Did anyone in this forum get one of those bumpers on amazon yet? I would like to get the yellow or the black but don't want to waste my money if its cheesy. I have the dark wood moto x with yellow buttons!! so great. just got it today.
    02-22-2014 01:58 AM
71 123