Moto X: How Slippery are the Wood Backs?

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Can you guys feel the seam on the sides? since the sides are separate, i have been wondering about this.
thanks
What seam are you talking about? Also, I sent you a PM about a code but you never responded. I am going to give it to someone else if you don't want it. Please respond soon.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Take a look at this beauty!!! That white dot was a dust speck that I wiped away. I will post more pics later after I get my bumper to put on it.

By my feel, it feels about as slippery as the smooth touch woven white back on my Dev Ed.

View attachment 102753

Does anyone think the bottom right corner looks bad enough to return or is that just how walnut looks?

You mean in terms of the darker stained wood? I believe that's a natural look. What one might consider unusual or a 'blemish' is just the natural state of the wood.

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Take a look at this beauty!!! That white dot was a dust speck that I wiped away. I will post more pics later after I get my bumper to put on it.

By my feel, it feels about as slippery as the smooth touch woven white back on my Dev Ed.

View attachment 102753

Does anyone think the bottom right corner looks bad enough to return or is that just how walnut looks?

I actually think that looks more like the color of walnut.

Posted via Android Central App

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I actually think that looks more like the color of walnut.
the color in the pic, which was taken with an iPhone 5, is off. The pic has more of a reddish tint to it than it looks in person. In person it is more brown with a hint of orange in it but not really red.

I will try to take pics in better lighting, but I am not great at photographing things no matter how great of a camera I use!! It is one of the reasons I don't post many pics on the internet because my pics always are so bad and not true to life. Photography is just not a talent of mine.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

View attachment 102753

Very nice. I like the look and that blemish isn't too bad. Adds a lot of character and just shows what's unique about the wood backs. I should have my bamboo one tonight. /fingers crossed

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My bumper came in the mail. I would prefer if it were matte rather than shiny, but it is nice and I like how it looks on the device.

Walnut Moto X with Bumper.jpg

This pic was taken with my other Moto X and the focus was centered on the "M". The color in this pic is more true to life but not completely as it doesn't have that washed out look at the top and bottom. Let me know if you want me to take pics from any different angles. I can do a close up of the seam if someone tells me what seam they are talking about.

Last edited:

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Can you guys feel the seam on the sides? since the sides are separate, i have been wondering about this.
thanks
You can absolutely feel the seam on mine. The wood is a bit inlaid so you feel the edge of the plastic and quite frankly, it feels a bit sharp. Not terribly sharp at all but if I didn't get the bumper, I don't think I would like how it feels in the hand.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Now that I have a Moto X bamboo on my hand, I have to say it's very slippery. But not a concern since I'll be using a case.
can you feel the edge of the plastic as if the wood piece sits slightly lower so it is kind of sharp feeling? Not very sharp, but you feel the edge of the plastic frame?

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I will say that both the engraving and Verizon logo are printed onto the wood, so those aren't as "sharp" as they are on a regular colored back.
can you feel the gap where the wood piece and the plastic frame come together? Is your wood just a bit lower so you can feel the edge of the plastic frame?

Mine is.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
can you feel the edge of the plastic as if the wood piece sits slightly lower so it is kind of sharp feeling? Not very sharp, but you feel the edge of the plastic frame?

Yes, I feel it, but its not uncomfortable, It won't be like the Nexus 5. I still like the Nexus 4 sides best since it's very comfortable and grippy at the sametime. It's definitely one of thing that turned me off from the N5.

I will do probably like with the Nexus 4 for the Moto X, use front and back wet applied screen protector and a tpu bumper case.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I will do probably like with the Nexus 4 for the Moto X, use front and back wet applied screen protector and a tpu bumper case.
What brand for the back protector? I am tempted to just go with the tpu bumper case and a front screen protector so that I can feel the wood.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
What brand for the back protector? I am tempted to just go with the tpu bumper case and a front screen protector so that I can feel the wood.
I used to use Skinomi, they have good durability. They have clear front, back and side skin. What I don't like is that you have to be very careful with installing them and it's harder to get perfect since the adhesive sticks very quickly away so there is more potential to get it wrong on your first try. Skinomi skin is thick so it have good healing properties too. Like dbrand, they have 3M sticker for the back, they're basically the same material as dbrand and cheaper.

Now I use XtremeGuard since they are so cheap, the touch feel I think is a little less smooth than Skinomi, but very usable. They're also a lot easier to install since they don't stick so fast so you have time to adjust the placement.

You just have to be careful with wet applied screen protectors to not damage your phone or trigger the water damage detector. I guess its less of a concern with the Moto X. Just have to use the least amount of water as necessary and put the phone over a napkin or towel to dry it right away.

I love using wet applied type though, they can last for months or a year depend on your use. They are excellent at hiding display scratches, so if you have used phones with screen scratches, if they aren't thick it'll hide them all. Also they gives good grip.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
A few observations:

1. The back is about the same texture as the woven backs. It is not soft touch like my navy back one.

2. The wood is inlaid in the back so you can feel the small ridge between the back and the side piece. It does not wrap around like the plastic backs.

3. The dimple around the Motorola logo is not as large, nor is it as pronounced.

4. The ebony is b-e-a-utiful.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
A few observations:

1. The back is about the same texture as the woven backs. It is not soft touch like my navy back one.

2. The wood is inlaid in the back so you can feel the small ridge between the back and the side piece. It does not wrap around like the plastic backs.

3. The dimple around the Motorola logo is not as large, nor is it as pronounced.

4. The ebony is b-e-a-utiful.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

This pretty much describes my phone as well, though I don't feel the side seams as others have mentioned. The phone overall feels like a premium device. I love it.

Posted via Android Central App

vmaxed

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
My Ebony back isn't slippery,I will use a Cimo case on it ;)

Attachments

• 2014-01-30 10.45.08.jpg
    2014-01-30 10.45.08.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2014-01-30 10.45.08.jpg
    2014-01-30 10.45.08.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited: