Moto X: Unlocked vs Carrier Version

richv77

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
When ordering via Moto Maker, if I select my carrier I presume the phone will not be Unlocked? Since I am paying full price I guess I should order the unlocked version.

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Unlocked vs Carrier Version

When ordering via Moto Maker, if I select my carrier I presume the phone will not be Unlocked? Since I am paying full price I guess I should order the unlocked version.
GSM unlocked motomaker version is SIM unlocked. ATT motomaker version is not SIM unlocked even if you are paying full price.

However, I don't know how it works with getting OS updates if you buy the GSM unlocked version but use it on ATT's network. Also, if you pay full price for the ATT version, wouldn't ATT agree to SIM unlock it for you? I think they will, but call first and ask.

Jyscal

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

GSM unlocked motomaker version is SIM unlocked. ATT motomaker version is not SIM unlocked even if you are paying full price.

However, I don't know how it works with getting OS updates if you buy the GSM unlocked version but use it on ATT's network. Also, if you pay full price for the ATT version, wouldn't ATT agree to SIM unlock it for you? I think they will, but call first and ask.

As long as you pay full price for a device at AT&T, they have no issues unlocking. Just call them up and they will give you an unlock code. Does the unlocked o me have all of the ATT bands? If so, go with that one so you don't have any carrier bloat.

Sent from my Moto X

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Does the unlocked o me have all of the ATT bands? If so, go with that one so you don't have any carrier bloat.
Motorola advertises it as being able to be used on both TMobile and ATT, so I am sure it has all of the ATT bands.

However, how does that work for operating system updates? Do they come directly from Motorola even if you are operating the device on ATT network?

Tysonsaurus

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site

Motorola advertises it as being able to be used on both TMobile and ATT, so I am sure it has all of the ATT bands.

However, how does that work for operating system updates? Do they come directly from Motorola even if you are operating the device on ATT network?

Would like to know this as well.

Posted via Android Central App

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Would like to know this as well.

I bought the GSM Unlocked version a week before Christmas during the last promo sale. When I received it and started it up it was on 4.2.2 but no sooner than I finished the initial setup I was prompted to install the OTA 4.4 Kit Kat update. Can't tell you where the OTA originated but I'm on AT&T.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

I have the T-Mobile version. It works with TMo and Straight Talk sim out of the box.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

According to Wikipedia, the AT&T version supports LTE bands 5 & 7, but the unlocked/T-Mobile/DeveloperEdition does not; while the unlocked/T-Mobile/DeveloperEdition supports UMTS band 1700, but the AT&T version does not. Also according to Wikipedia, LTE band 5 is not used in the North America.

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I had a MotoMaker, unlocked and received the 4.4 update from Motorola even though I am on AT&T. I now have the Dev Edition and also received the update.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
According to Wikipedia, the AT&T version supports LTE bands 5 & 7, but the unlocked/T-Mobile/DeveloperEdition does not; while the unlocked/T-Mobile/DeveloperEdition supports UMTS band 1700, but the AT&T version does not. Also according to Wikipedia, LTE band 5 is not used in the North America.

Im not sure about the specifics but it seems the Dev edition and TMo editions are basically the same besides being able to customize the TMo version.

I had a MotoMaker, unlocked and received the 4.4 update from Motorola even though I am on AT&T. I now have the Dev Edition and also received the update.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
SIM-unlocked US GSM model is the "T-Mobile" model. Remember, T-Mobile does not sell nor carry the Moto X.

The GSM developer edition is essentially the "T-Mobile" model with an official boot loader unlock option.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The updates come from Motorola. The carriers just give the go/no-go for their models.

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
SIM-unlocked US GSM model is the "T-Mobile" model. Remember, T-Mobile does not sell nor carry the Moto X.

The GSM developer edition is essentially the "T-Mobile" model with an official boot loader unlock option.

That's what I was thinking, Ry.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
does the unlocked GSM version have the carrier name in the notification bar? I know the AT&T version does, but wondering if the regular GSM version does or not?

efyoiphone

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
does the unlocked GSM version have the carrier name in the notification bar? I know the AT&T version does, but wondering if the regular GSM version does or not?

No carrier branding whatsoever. Right off hand the only place I can recall seeing T-Mobile is in the notification shade (Only when you pull it down). Also, on the status screen in the About Phone section. Other than that it's vanilla.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
That isn't carrier branding, every phone have that, it's to let you know what network you are presently connected to.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That isn't carrier branding, every phone have that, it's to let you know what network you are presently connected to.

No. Not true at all. The Nexus 5 doesn't have that. I'm talking about the text in the bar next to notifications, not on the pull down menu.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63