"What's this song" not working

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else having issues with "What's this song"?

If I ask Google Now 'What's this song?' instead of listening for music it does a Google search for 'What's this song'

I tried deleting the data and clearing the cache within Google Search but that didn't work. It still works if I do it on my Nexus 7.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
It's specifically looking for the phrase what song is this not what's this song. If you're asking it what's this song it won't work.

sent from my thumbs...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's specifically looking for the phrase what song is this not what's this song. If you're asking it what's this song it won't work.

sent from my thumbs...

I just tested "OK Google Now" -

- "What song is this?"
- "What is this song?"
- "What's this song?"

All three queries brought up the Sound Search listening feature.

Posted via Android Central App

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: "What's this song" not working

sent from my thumbs...

Actually, "What's this song?" and "What song is this?" are both valid, although, neither one is working for me right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I just tested "OK Google Now" -

- "What song is this?"
- "What is this song?"
- "What's this song?"

All three queries brought up the Sound Search listening feature.

Okay. I am glad that it is working for you, but it is not working for me. I'm trying to find a solution. :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: "What's this song" not working

Okay. I am glad that it is working for you, but it is not working for me. I'm trying to find a solution. :)

My reply was to ballisticn8 who said that the phrases you're saying aren't supposed to be working.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Strange but I just tried this today while I was driving and it didn't work for me either. Like the OP, it just did a search for "What song is this".

I've used it several times in the past but it's not working me now.

EDIT: I just tried, "What's playing" and it worked!

"What song is this", "What's this song", "Listen to song" or "Listen to music" do not work for me.

Last edited:

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
That is strange as I used it in that time period you did and it worked fine. Maybe a temporary server error.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
That is strange as I used it in that time period you did and it worked fine. Maybe a temporary server error.

It actually started working for me again so it must've been a problem on the server side like you said. Still strange though.

Salih AW

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem using, Moto assist.
"Okay Moto"> "What's this Song?"
'Listening for music'>
quickly(without listening) 'Couldn't find a match.
Something went wrong. Try again.

The oddest thing is that; this is a recent problem and app was working fine, the last time I tried it last month. I tried powering on/off several times, I've done a soft reset None of which helped, can anyone else suggest something? Yes, I did the correct command. :)

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem using, Moto assist.
"Okay Moto"> "What's this Song?"
'Listening for music'>
quickly(without listening) 'Couldn't find a match.
Something went wrong. Try again.

The oddest thing is that; this is a recent problem and app was working fine, the last time I tried it last month. I tried powering on/off several times, I've done a soft reset None of which helped, can anyone else suggest something? Yes, I did the correct command. :)

I'm having a similar issue. When I use the Touchless Control feature to ask the phone "What song is this?", I get the same error message that you get. But if I press the Google Now microphone and ask the question, it works fine.

I swear, this is just one of many software issues that I never came across on Android 4.4.4. Only since the update to 5.1. Is it just a coincidence, or is this software buggy as hell?

Salih AW

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm more bugged that I can't get a straight answer/fix from someone(voice) directly. :D I really haven't had too many other probs, but 1 hopping this is the same issue... In June my hangout software wouldn't connect + send.- others were having that same prob. Hangouts began working mysteriously after a day or two. A Motorola tech told me today:that widgit(What's this song) won't work if Moto Assist is on.- What?! It hasbeen working with it on before. Idk what to do... :(

Actually I couldn't do as many things on 4.4 as I can now on 5.1 :)

Last edited:

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm more bugged that I can't get a straight answer/fix from someone(voice) directly. :D I really haven't had too many other probs, but 1 hopping this is the same issue... In June my hangout software wouldn't connect + send.- others were having that same prob. Hangouts began working mysteriously after a day or two. A Motorola tech told me today:that widgit(What's this song) won't work if Moto Assist is on.- What?! It hasbeen working with it on before. Idk what to do... :(

Actually I couldn't do as many things on 4.4 as I can now on 5.1 :)

A Moto tech told me today that "What song is this?" is no longer a question that I can ask through Moto Voice because of "improvements" to the phone after Android 5.1. These people are either stupid or they're liars. I haven't decided yet.

I'm curious: what is it that you can do on 5.1 that you couldn't do on 4.4.4?

From my perspective, I've lost the ability to toggle cell towers on/off with Tasker, lost the ability to easily toggle Data on/off without the Settings menu popping up, lost the "wave to wake" feature, lost my Xposed Framework, this Moto Voice issue has popped up out of nowhere, and battery improvements are debatable (at best).

In return, I obtained the ability to customize my phrase for Moto Voice, and a whole lot of pretty colors. I think I got hosed.

Salih AW

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
For me, I was unable to wakeup my phone via voice. I was using a Moto g phone with 4.4 and the voice app(OpenMic) I was using didn't work well.
So all the voice commands using Openmic were fixed, including the train ones voice. When I upgraded to new Moto x(2nd) it came install with 5.1. All the voice troubles I had with 4.4 worked well with Moto Assist & 5.1 Notifications are read to me aloud, also the time and Google now info are read aloud. I'm able to send txt + email by voice- which 4.4 really didn't allow me to do. Oh another feature/s that improved is playing certain music & making calls by voice. 9 1/2 stars I give those improvements
With this latest issue 7 1/2 stars
btw those are pretty much the only things I use. the wave to wake thing works excellent on my phone- I haven't used Tasker?
I just called Motorola again; "Try a soft reset.", 'I did that 2wice already', "Ok please try a full reset."
Man, I'm not doing that- having to reinstall+redo settings to all my apps :)

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
For me, I was unable to wakeup my phone via voice. I was using a Moto g phone with 4.4 and the voice app(OpenMic) I was using didn't work well.
So all the voice commands using Openmic were fixed, including the train ones voice. When I upgraded to new Moto x(2nd) it came install with 5.1. All the voice troubles I had with 4.4 worked well with Moto Assist & 5.1 Notifications are read to me aloud, also the time and Google now info are read aloud. I'm able to send txt + email by voice- which 4.4 really didn't allow me to do. Oh another feature/s that improved is playing certain music & making calls by voice. 9 1/2 stars I give those improvements
With this latest issue 7 1/2 stars
btw those are pretty much the only things I use. the wave to wake thing works excellent on my phone- I haven't used Tasker?
I just called Motorola again; "Try a soft reset.", 'I did that 2wice already', "Ok please try a full reset."
Man, I'm not doing that- having to reinstall+redo settings to all my apps :)

Their solution to everything is always "do a reset". They're so full of it.

If you have the 2014 Moto X, that explains why your "wave to wake" function works. On the 2013 model, like the one I have, it wasn't really a feature that the phone was supposed to have, but it worked on Kit Kat anyway. Now with Lollipop, it stopped working.

It's not a BIG deal, but I'm just struggling to see what the point of this system update was. Why change things when NOTHING gets improved? And why force me to download it if I didn't want to?

Salih AW

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Dude, I have the Moto X (2nd Gen) 2015.- It's an awesome phone.:) 'ey man just let me know when & how your, 'What's this song?'. works ;) If it will ever work for us... lol keep in touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21