View Poll Results: How much do you use touchless control?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heavily

48 36.36%
  • Occasionally

57 43.18%
  • Rarely

16 12.12%
  • Never

11 8.33%
02-15-2014 01:04 AM
108 12345
tools
    I use it every day for navigation, setting appointments/reminders, and checking stock prices.
    01-28-2014 10:46 AM
    Curious, why did you even get a Moto X if you consider Motorola's add-on features "gimmicky"?
    It's the only smallish phone with a decent screen size and UI that I like, it feels fantastic in my hands, fits in my pockets perfectly and is less expensive than anything in it's class.
    When I drive, I drive. I don't check emails or even make phone calls. I might have to answer a call but that's what my speaker on the phone is for. I don't have a problem pulling over to do my business.
    01-28-2014 11:50 AM
    Not really gimmicky if it fills your need. My husband is a UPS driver and uses Siri on his iPhone all the time. It's not exactly the same but pretty close. It's hard to check texts when you're driving and carrying boxes.

Posted via Android Central App
    I knew something was terribly wrong with UPS. Drivers checking texts while driving and carrying boxes.
    01-28-2014 11:54 AM
    It's the only smallish phone with a decent screen size and UI that I like, it feels fantastic in my hands, fits in my pockets perfectly and is less expensive than anything in it's class.
    When I drive, I drive. I don't check emails or even make phone calls. I might have to answer a call but that's what my speaker on the phone is for. I don't have a problem pulling over to do my business.
    Sounds like a Moto G would have been perfect.
    ultravisitor likes this.
    01-28-2014 12:53 PM
    I use this all the time. "Ok Google now, Houston Rockets"......then....."The Houston Rockets are leading XXXX 70 to 60 in the third quarter."
    Priceless, especially in public.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    01-28-2014 03:01 PM
    I don't have a problem pulling over to do my business.
    I think that is where you can see it is not a gimmick. Most people don't pull over to read and respond to texts. With Motorola Assist and touchless controls, you don't have to. Very valuable features to the overwhelming majority of drivers out there.
    01-28-2014 03:28 PM
    I knew something was terribly wrong with UPS. Drivers checking texts while driving and carrying boxes.
    All hands free .
    01-28-2014 04:38 PM
    Sounds like a Moto G would have been perfect.
    Definitely. I found the Moto X for $225 "new in box" on eBay a month after it was out and went for it. The G was not out when I bought the X but it would have been sufficient for my use.
    01-28-2014 05:09 PM
    I have deactivated it...
    In a day to day basis, I really don't have many situations where I could really use it... It's very helpful once you are driving, but other than that it's of limited use...

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2
    01-28-2014 07:51 PM
    I use it to set timers at work for experiments.

Beamed via my Nexus 7 from the AC Forums app.
    dmark44 likes this.
    01-28-2014 08:32 PM
    It's very helpful once you are driving, but other than that it's of limited use...
    I guess I must drive a lot compared to some of you!
    01-28-2014 08:36 PM
    Setting alarms at night and asking for the weather in the morning, along with asking where the thing has hidden itself a few times throughout the week.

Extremely useful.
    01-29-2014 06:30 AM
    Setting alarms at night and asking for the weather in the morning, along with asking where the thing has hidden itself a few times throughout the week.

Extremely useful.
    I have this issue as well, my daughter will be playing with my phone and will just leave it anywhere.
    01-29-2014 07:22 AM
    I think that is where you can see it is not a gimmick. Most people don't pull over to read and respond to texts. With Motorola Assist and touchless controls, you don't have to. Very valuable features to the overwhelming majority of drivers out there.
    I just wait until I have gotten wherever I was going to read or respond to texts. Or emails, which is mostly how my friends contact me.

I did get one text while I was driving, and the "tell the sender you are driving"feature was nice. But it's not as if he was going to do anything with that info.
    Oofa likes this.
    01-29-2014 10:13 AM
    I just wait until I have gotten wherever I was going to read or respond to texts. Or emails, which is mostly how my friends contact me.
    OK but many people, especially younger people, don't do that and you are one of the few people I have encountered in this day and age who gets contacted by friends mostly by email and not text. I email pretty much only for business nowadays or if I have to send an attachment for some reason.

I did get one text while I was driving, and the "tell the sender you are driving"feature was nice. But it's not as if he was going to do anything with that info.
    it will stop someone from texting again and again asking why you are not responding. It also will stop someone from worrying about why you are not responding and it will stop someone from thinking you are rude for not responding.
    dmark44 likes this.
    01-29-2014 11:01 AM
    When all is said and done, it's nice to know that Motorola has provided a phone with a new feature that could be considered "gimmicky" by many but an actual useful enhancement by many. In many states it's supposed to be a hefty fine to use a cell phone while driving and I'm glad many are using it instead of driving with their knees and looking into their laps. It certainly makes me feel safer. I think the fact that many find it useful and don't quit using it after the honeymoon phase is over with the phone, proves just how real it is.
    dmark44, 21stNow and TBolt like this.
    01-29-2014 11:37 AM
    OK but many people, especially younger people, don't do that and you are one of the few people I have encountered in this day and age who gets contacted by friends mostly by email and not text. I email pretty much only for business nowadays or if I have to send an attachment for some reason.

it will stop someone from texting again and again asking why you are not responding. It also will stop someone from worrying about why you are not responding and it will stop someone from thinking you are rude for not responding.
    Lol, my friends know better than to text again and again, asking why I am not responding, or worrying if I don't reply instantly to a text. It must be stressful to have to be always-available to lots of people. And when I did respond, after I parked, I mentioned that I'd been en route to yoga, so he would have figured out why I couldn't reply, and not thought me rude.

I understand that's a great feature for some people. It's a feature I have used exactly once in the two months I've had the phone, and while it was nice, I certainly wouldn't miss it. As I said, ymmv.
    Oofa likes this.
    01-29-2014 12:16 PM
    Lol, my friends know better than to text again and again, asking why I am not responding, or worrying if I don't reply instantly to a text. It must be stressful to have to be always-available to lots of people.
    It's called being a mom and yes, it is stressful, lol! Anyhow, it is not my friends who do that to me, it is my family and I am stuck with them for life.

I understand that's a great feature for some people. It's a feature I have used exactly once in the two months I've had the phone, and while it was nice, I certainly wouldn't miss it. As I said, ymmv.
    It's a great feature for those who drive.
    01-29-2014 12:28 PM

I hear ya,, interesting to hear how other people use features of their Moto X.
    I get more text messages from friends other then emails. I consider emails to be more formal and since I just sync my emails every hour unless I manually sync my emails otherwise they arrive just once an hour. However my text messages are in real time. (same with hangout)
    01-29-2014 12:40 PM
    I synch my primary email account every 10 minutes, the secondary one every hour, and gmail manually, not very reliably. I like that email is easy to save, search, and refer to.
    01-29-2014 01:03 PM
    I synch my primary email account every 10 minutes, the secondary one every hour, and gmail manually, not very reliably. I like that email is easy to save, search, and refer to.
    yes, but for messages like, pick up my dry cleaning on your way home, did you put money in my account, where are you, what's for dinner, I forgot my soccer uniform I need you to bring it to me in the next 15 minutes, etc., I neither want to save, search or refer to them ever again, lol!
    01-29-2014 01:44 PM
    yes, but for messages like, pick up my dry cleaning on your way home, did you put money in my account, where are you, what's for dinner, I forgot my soccer uniform I need you to bring it to me in the next 15 minutes, etc., I neither want to save, search or refer to them ever again, lol!
    Fair enough. :-) I'd get some of those by phone, and some via email, and wouldn't file any of them.

Now that my husband has a smart phone, maybe we will start texting. He has a really cheap plan, though, and a text costs as much as a minute of talk time, and conveys much less information.
    01-29-2014 02:55 PM
    Now that my husband has a smart phone, maybe we will start texting. He has a really cheap plan, though, and a text costs as much as a minute of talk time, and conveys much less information.
    that explains why you don't get many texts!

So I see my solution is to take away everyone's unlimited texting plans!
    01-29-2014 04:13 PM
    I use touchless WAY more than I thought I would. It really helps on those long commutes.
    Ry likes this.
    01-29-2014 05:21 PM
    I do to ask the time. However it does not work for nagivation. It just opens google maps which has the last thing you navigated to on it. Useless.
    Apparently because I am in Canada and don't have access to google music, It doesn't work. It just google searches whatever I ask it to play.

Useless. The two main things I got the device for (perfect for safe handsfree driving) do not work.
    02-05-2014 01:01 PM
108 12345