07-09-2014 07:11 PM
42 12
tools
    Just an FYI.

When 4.4.2 comes out if you accept the OTA you may not be able to root again on non-dev units.
    srkmagnus likes this.
    01-29-2014 06:21 AM
    Just an FYI.

When 4.4.2 comes out if you accept the OTA you may not be able to root again on non-dev units.
    That's a really good point that I tend to forget. Rooting a phone with a locked bootloader is not a given. A dev has to figure out a way to do it by finding an exploit.
    01-29-2014 11:56 AM
    According to jcase Moto has left the same exploit in the phone every time they've introduced a software upgrade so while what you say is true the exploit has been known but they've still left that exploit in play. Dev edition being able to flash a stock image back onto the phone no matter what you do to it does have its major benefits though.
    01-29-2014 12:04 PM
    So I took advantage of this today. I really wanted to take advantage of personalization, but am reading that for Verizon, the developer edition is the way to go.

What are the main benefits of Developer Edition??

I am excited for this. I love my HTC One, but am a sucker for new stuff.

Posted via Android Central App
    I really havent found the need to get the Developer Edition . Personally I also use to Root & Rom all my 4 previous android phones but so far havent really seen that need to on the Moto X .It runs smooth enough as it is. I do disable the bloatware/apps thats safe that I dont use but thats about it.
    01-29-2014 12:05 PM
    I really havent found the need to get the Developer Edition . Personally I also use to Root & Rom all my 4 previous android phones but so far havent really seen that need to on the Moto X .It runs smooth enough as it is. I do disable the bloatware/apps thats safe that I dont use but thats about it.
    If you have a Verizon UDP, you need root to WiFi tether for free. Nandroid backup requires root, too.
    01-29-2014 12:23 PM
    I took the DE edition when I purchased mine in early November, just before the first $100 price drop. Why did I get the Dev, rather than taking the subsidized/cheaper "retail" version?

1. I have the piece of mind of being able to root without waiting for any exploit or process to be drawn up.
    2. Rooting is simple. No flashing back and forth between rom versions, etc. Just flash a custom recovery, boot into the custom recovery and install SuperSU.
    3. It was the only 32gig option for Verizon at the time.
    4. I still have unlimited data, so rooting and tethering are nice.
    5. unlocking the bootloader doesn't void the warranty.
    6. with an unlocked bootloader, I could flash a 3rd party ROM if I wanted to. (I know safestrap exists for those with locked bootloaders, but they take up storage space on the phone).

I don't run custom roms, other than tethering I really don't need root. And to be honest, before buying the Dev X, I had a retail VZW 16gig moto X and was just as happy. So I can understand why there is so much discussion and debate on which one to get.

If I had to do it today, now that there is a 32gig Moto Maker option for Verizon, well the Dev X, and how quick and easy it is to root if needed, still wins out over the cheaper price and custom colors.
    01-29-2014 02:58 PM
    Ultravisitor, You stated that you no longer care about rooting and flashing roms since buying a Moto X ? Can you explain why that is the case? I was going to order an developers edition in the next couple of days. I'm switching from a jailbroken iPhone. Are you able to customize and root without unlocking the boot loader on the carrier edition Moto X ? Also, will I encounter any issues with the carrier by using my upgrade on the carrier edition? I'm new to Android but, have been conducting a lot of researchlol Thanks for any advice or answers.
    Ry likes this.
    02-11-2014 11:57 PM
    Ultravisitor, You stated that you no longer care about rooting and flashing roms since buying a Moto X ? Can you explain why that is the case?
    Do you have unlimited data on verizon?

Are you able to customize and root without unlocking the boot loader on the carrier edition Moto X ?
    On 4.4 there currently is a way to root without unlocking the bootloader, but it is complicated. You have to go back to 4.2.2.

There is no way to root on 4.4.2 without an unlocked bootloader. There may be in the future if someone finds a way, but who knows.
    02-12-2014 12:50 AM
    I have a family plan on Verizon with my udp line and my wife's 2gb plan on her line. I want to buy a moto x directly off of the Motorola site but only use it on wi fi for the time being. I don't want to upgrade any of my lines, nor do I want to add a line. I just want one to serve as a backup phone and to play around with on wifi.

My question is, can I use my old Motorola droid RAZR maxx as a trade in to Motorola and get the $100 off. Or is that only if you're buying through Verizon or upgrading?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2
    02-16-2014 03:16 PM
    I have a family plan on Verizon with my udp line and my wife's 2gb plan on her line. I want to buy a moto x directly off of the Motorola site but only use it on wi fi for the time being.
    Why wouldn't you make it your daily driver? If you buy a Moto X off contract, you can activate it on your UDP line and you don't lose your UDP.

My question is, can I use my old Motorola droid RAZR maxx as a trade in to Motorola and get the $100 off. Or is that only if you're buying through Verizon or upgrading?
    Motorola has a tradeup program for the Moto X but it doesn't look like it includes the Droid Razr Maxx.

https://www.mototradeup.com/?q=start

However, you can buy a used Motorola Admiral for about $25 off of ebay and trade it in to get the $100 gift card.

The guaranteed $100 Verizon deal is only if you upgrade or start a new line with Verizon. Otherwise you get practically nothing for Androids.

You can get more than $100 for it on swappa:

Buy Droid Razr Maxx (Verizon) in US > Swappa
    Phoenix111 likes this.
    02-16-2014 06:09 PM
    Great information Cozume, thank you very much. I currently have a Note 2 and I'm not quite ready to leave that as my daily driver yet. But, after reading up on the Moto X, I would love to have one to use on wi fi right now, serve as a backup and then ultimately perhaps take over for the Note 2.

Looks like I'll check out swappa for the razr maxx.
    02-16-2014 08:43 PM
    Ultravisitor, You stated that you no longer care about rooting and flashing roms since buying a Moto X ? Can you explain why that is the case?
    Because the stock ROM offers me all I want and need in the phone. For me, Android has progressed to the point where it's very powerful and capable in its stock form. Plus, the Motorola additions to Android are quite useful. I don't need to install a ROM to get rid of garbage like I would have to with a Samsung or HTC or LG (gag) phone. I used to enjoy installing cleaner, feature-filled ROMs, but again, I no longer find that necessary. I actually find it to be more of a hassle than it's worth at times.
    Ry, Pollster and akakai like this.
    02-17-2014 02:01 AM
    Because the stock ROM offers me all I want and need in the phone. For me, Android has progressed to the point where it's very powerful and capable in its stock form. Plus, the Motorola additions to Android are quite useful. I don't need to install a ROM to get rid of garbage like I would have to with a Samsung or HTC or LG (gag) phone. I used to enjoy installing cleaner, feature-filled ROMs, but again, I no longer find that necessary. I actually find it to be more of a hassle than it's worth at times.
    I second this.
    02-21-2014 07:08 PM
    Does the Dev Ed come with VZW apps pre-installed?
    07-09-2014 10:23 AM
    Does the Dev Ed come with VZW apps pre-installed?
    Yes it does.

caller name id
    my verizon
    nfl mobile
    sync services
    verizon login
    verizon tones
    voicemail
    vz navigator
    backup assistant
    backup assistant+contacts

i think thats all of them. the last two cannot be disabled
    07-09-2014 04:45 PM
    Yes it does.

caller name id
    my verizon
    nfl mobile
    sync services
    verizon login
    verizon tones
    voicemail
    vz navigator
    backup assistant
    backup assistant+contacts

i think thats all of them. the last two cannot be disabled
    Does it effect anything if you disable sync services? Always seems to be running and that's the only one left on the list I haven't disabled.

07-09-2014 05:12 PM
    Does it effect anything if you disable sync services? Always seems to be running and that's the only one left on the list I haven't disabled.

I disabled all that I could and everything works fine.
    07-09-2014 07:11 PM
42 12