Verizon: Should I get the Moto X Developer Edition?

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
So I took advantage of this today. I really wanted to take advantage of personalization, but am reading that for Verizon, the developer edition is the way to go.

What are the main benefits of Developer Edition??

I am excited for this. I love my HTC One, but am a sucker for new stuff.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon: Should I get the Developer Edition?

So I took advantage of this today. I really wanted to take advantage of personalization, but am reading that for Verizon, the developer edition is the way to go.

What are the main benefits of Developer Edition??

I am excited for this. I love my HTC One, but am a sucker for new stuff.

Posted via Android Central App

Only get the DE if you're sure you'll be doing modifications to your device outside the normal scope of use (rooting, custom ROMs).

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

If you don't want custom colors and you want 32gb then the dev version makes more sense. In the case of 4.4 Google broke exchange. The only real way to fix it is to put the exchange apks from 4.4.2 in /system/apps, which requires root. You can root a non dev unit but it is not as easy.

If you want custom colors or 16gb then save $50 and get a moto maker version.

Otherwise not much reason for a dev unit to me. I used to flash custom roms all the time but I was always seeking stock android. Now we have it with the x and improvements too.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I really wanted to take advantage of personalization, but am reading that for Verizon, the developer edition is the way to go.

According to whom? I'm on Verizon and used to flash ROMs all the time on my previous phones. I feel absolutely no need for a developer edition in order to root and flash ROMs, though. I don't care about any of that at all anymore with my Moto X.

scottfish

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

According to whom? I'm on Verizon and used to flash ROMs all the time on my previous phones. I feel absolutely no need for a developer edition in order to root and flash ROMs, though. I don't care about any of that at all anymore with my Moto X.

Had read a post somewhere on another forum, but there was no clear explanation why. That's why I asked here.

Glad I did. I will get the Moto Maker version and not look back.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site

Does the woven white back on the VZW Dev edition get dirty easily?

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site

The AC masses will tell you that you should blindly go for the developer's edition, but the truth of it is that if you don't know why you need the developer's edition, you don't need the developer's edition. It really is that simple.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

The AC masses will tell you that you should blindly go for the developer's edition, but the truth of it is that if you don't know why you need the developer's edition, you don't need the developer's edition. It really is that simple.

So. much. truth.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Yeah... I have the developer edition. I have no plans to root or anything. I am hoping maybe a little more in resale value if I ever go down the road to sell. Only reason I got it is because of the black Friday fiasco and was able to get it in cart. It stays clean just fine but I also have supcase on it. I will say the woven white is slick as can be.

Posted via my Moto X DE

del2327

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

I am also trying to decide whether to get the DE. While I have no intention of rooting or using roms, a customized motomaker 32 gb version isn't all that appealing either because while I like the idea of choosing colors, I will be using a case which would cover any colors I would choose. The only thing I can think of is that if or when I decide to sell the DE, I might get more money for it than I would get for motomaker version since Verizon sells the motomaker version for as low as $99 on contract but the DE version is not available for a subsidized price from Verizon. Also, I'm uncertain bc while I can get a 32 gb motomaker version for $99 using an upgrade on a feature phone line, and sell my Razr Maxx HD, if I purchase it off contract using the code from today's sale, I can save the upgrade for when the X2 is released and sell whichever version I buy from Motorola. Am I missing something or looking at this decision wrong?

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

The only thing I can think of is that if or when I decide to sell the DE, I might get more money for it than I would get for motomaker version since Verizon sells the motomaker version for as low as $99 on contract but the DE version is not available for a subsidized price from Verizon.
The Verizon Dev Ed is the only Verizon Moto X with an unlockable bootloader. So I think it will have a higher resale value than an ordinary Verizon Moto X because even if you don't care about being able to unlock your bootloader, other people do. Just make sure you unlock it as soon as you get it because unlocking it wipes your phone.

Also, I'm uncertain bc while I can get a 32 gb motomaker version for $99 using an upgrade on a feature phone line, and sell my Razr Maxx HD, if I purchase it off contract using the code from today's sale, I can save the upgrade for when the X2 is released and sell whichever version I buy from Motorola. Am I missing something or looking at this decision wrong?
Let's do the math.

Off contract Dev Ed is $350 with the code. Based on current swappa prices, you should net about $200 after paypal fees, swappa fees and shipping with insurance for your Razr Maxx HD. If you did, $350 - $200 = $150. Of course I neglected tax on the $350 because I don't know your tax rate, but you could figure that out.

Then when the Moto X2 comes out, you could sell your Verizon Moto X Dev Ed (which is GSM SIM unlocked out of the box) and if you could net at least $150 on it, you would break even except for the tax on the $350. And you would have your upgrade available to get the Moto X2 when it comes out.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

if I purchase it off contract using the code from today's sale,
Don't forget you can get a $100 prepaid VISA from motorola to tradeup to a Moto X if you buy a used Motorola Admiral off of ebay for $20 and send it in. So that nets you another $80.

del2327

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

Don't forget you can get a $100 prepaid VISA from motorola to tradeup to a Moto X if you buy a used Motorola Admiral off of ebay for $20 and send it in. So that nets you another $80.

Good to know. I wasn't sure if I could do this since it says that Verizon customers are supposed to buy the phone in the store. I emailed Motorola customer service about the trade up program to ask and within an hour was told I would be eligible even if I purchased the phone direct from Motorola. Thanks for letting me know about this!

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Good to know. I wasn't sure if I could do this since it says that Verizon customers are supposed to buy the phone in the store. I emailed Motorola customer service about the trade up program to ask and within an hour was told I would be eligible even if I purchased the phone direct from Motorola. Thanks for letting me know about this!
You're welcome! I got a Motorola Admiral for $17 shipped off of ebay. Remember, it cannot have a cracked screen, must be functional and the ESN/IMEI must be clear and ready to be activated.

If you buy a Motorola Droid, the promo is different. For that promo, you have to do your trade up in a Verizon store and you get a $100 Verizon gift card.

If you buy a Moto X, you do the trade up by mail and you get a $100 prepaid VISA.

Between the sale and the $100 prepaid VISA, it really makes the Moto X a steal!

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Like its been said there is really no dev for the Moto X. From what I've read and understood Gravity Box Xposed Module and near to 100% stock android make the dev edition obsolete.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

Like its been said there is really no dev for the Moto X. From what I've read and understood Gravity Box Xposed Module and near to 100% stock android make the dev edition obsolete.
There is for Verizon if you want to unlock your bootloader.

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

where have you found roms and dev work for the dev edition? Dev sections as far as roms go on some of the other well known sites are non-existent everywhere I've looked. Thats why I myself had been wondering if it was actually worth it do get the dev vs moto maker edition.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

where have you found roms and dev work for the dev edition? Dev sections as far as roms go on some of the other well known sites are non-existent everywhere I've looked. Thats why I myself had been wondering if it was actually worth it do get the dev vs moto maker edition.
If you dont want any of the custom colors (or you like the dev edition colors) then it makes sense to get it - it's free compared to the 32gb moto x and it lets you root easily.

If you want to change the colors on the outside then dont get a dev edition. But my dev edition looks like half of all the moto x's out there (including the wood back ones) because it's in a case...so you can only see the black front. I went through the moto maker and my favorite color combination was...black on black lol. If I could get a dev edition with a wood back I would do it, but I would still have it in a case.

Also I *think* you can only get 32gb on verizon with the dev edition.

del2327

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site

Also I *think* you can only get 32gb on verizon with the dev edition.

It is possible to get a 32 gb non-developer edition on Verizon using motomaker. I don't think you can get directly from Verizon though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37