08-11-2015 06:34 AM
72 123
tools
    How badly does streaming music eat your battery and data (I plan on being on the 2GB GoPhone plan).
    I have unlimited, so I don't really pay attention.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    01-28-2014 09:32 PM
    You've asked one of the questions that will get you an auto-answer. Many people on this site will tell you get 32GB without even paying attention to what your situation is. There are people who think that 32GB should be the minimum on any phone regardless of how many people say they don't need that much storage.
    I've got a Droid Ultra with 16GB of storage and its more than enough for me. I've got over 100 apps, and a lot of photos. They are backed up to G+ but I haven't gotten around to deleting them from my phone. I don't have much music on my phone since I use All Access, but I do have a few songs pinned to my device. With what I have on my phone I still have plenty of space left. I took a trip from Michigan to California and I was able to load enough movies and TV shows to watch during the plane trip there and back. Reading what you say your usage will be, it sounds like you are similar to me and in that case 16GB will be plenty of space. I personally would never pay extra for more than 16GB of storage because I just don't need it.
    ultravisitor likes this.
    01-28-2014 10:41 PM
    I don't have much music on my phone since I use All Access
    Do you have an unlimited data plan and so you are able to stream music and not pay attention to how much data you use? Does streaming music eat up your battery and make your phone hot? Are you always in a good 4G LTE signal area so you can stream music without it pausing to buffer?
    ffejjj and dmark44 like this.
    01-28-2014 10:50 PM
    Do you have an unlimited data plan and so you are able to stream music and not pay attention to how much data you use? Does streaming music eat up your battery and make your phone hot? Are you always in a good 4G LTE signal area so you can stream music without it pausing to buffer?
    Yes I have unlimited data. I always have a good signal, I get around 30Mbps most of the time. I haven't had any issues with my Ultra with streaming eating the battery or heating up, but when I had my Bionic that was a pretty constant problem(I did't have All Access then, but any streaming I did was a problem)
    01-28-2014 11:42 PM
    Yes I have unlimited data. I always have a good signal, I get around 30Mbps most of the time.
    Those of us who don't have UDPs and a good signal all the time have to store music on our phones and that can take up a lot of storage space depending on how much music you have.
    01-29-2014 12:15 AM
    My Moto X is the 16GB version and it's plenty so far, but I'm heavily cloud active & that works for me. If 32GB had been available they day I bought it, I'd have probably done that.
    01-29-2014 05:22 AM
    I have the 16 GB model.It was the only model out when I purchased mine(Sept. 11).I have 19 apps that I downloaded, a few pictures.I still have 10.04 GB left, so far space hasnt been an issue.If the 32 GB model was available when I got mine I probably would have gotten it as long as it was in my price range, but I really wouldnt have need it so far.
    01-29-2014 05:50 AM
    Streaming music uses about 60mb of data an hour
    01-29-2014 06:19 AM
    Those of us who don't have UDPs and a good signal all the time have to store music on our phones and that can take up a lot of storage space depending on how much music you have.
    All access still does allow you to pin music to your device. Using it this way without ULD does require a bit of proactive planning to pin enough/the right music onto the device while on wifi, etc. I tend to create playlists via browser while listening at work and stream those while working out, running and driving, but it'd work just as well to pin them.
    01-29-2014 06:26 AM
    I will never buy a phone with only 16 gb of memory, buy the 32, won't regret it. Better resale value as well.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    dmark44 and stridr69 like this.
    01-29-2014 07:08 AM
    Thanks for the help everyone.

So that's it - no games or videos, and it takes up that much space (which much be right about at the limit of useable space)?

Hmmm - I won't be downloading games (except maybe if there is a blackjack available, which won't take up too much space) and don't take many videos and don't plan on using it as my music player (have a Clip Zip for that), but maybe I should go for the 32GB just to be safe. More than I wanted to pay, but it's doable.
    Of my 75 apps, 4 are games. I have Rayman Jungle Run, Solitaire, Tetris, and Candy Crush. I have a Nexus 7, where I have a few larger games installed.
    01-29-2014 07:47 AM
    The way I feel too, if you use this device for two years, a year from now you may be using your Moto X in ways you aren't planning for right now. My 16gb ipad 2 felt sufficient at first and then when Apple came out with Retina displays all of the apps already on my ipad updated with higher resolution graphics and taking up more room in my device. All of the sudden 16 started feeling stuffy.

Sent from my Moto X
    01-29-2014 07:54 AM
    Thanks for the help everyone.
    So that's it - no games or videos, and it takes up that much space (which much be right about at the limit of useable space)?

Hmmm - I won't be downloading games (except maybe if there is a blackjack available, which won't take up too much space) and don't take many videos and don't plan on using it as my music player (have a Clip Zip for that), but maybe I should go for the 32GB just to be safe. More than I wanted to pay, but it's doable.
    If you don't plan to download a lot of games, and plan to use another device for your music, 16gb should be okay for you. Remember that wifi doesn't count against your monthly data cap, so if you spend your day in a place where you can use wifi, you can probably stream whatever you want.

That being said, I got the 32gb, and after loading it up with some of my music, I am over 16gb. But I am often in places with little or no reception, and like to keep copies of anything I might want to use on the phone.

No one ever regrets having too much storage on their phone, computer, etc. People often regret having not enough storage. So it largely depends on how price-sensitive you are. Will you miss the money? Then don't buy more than you need. Also, it's possible that in 2 years you will appreciate having an excuse to upgrade to a new phone.
    01-29-2014 08:22 AM
    Streaming music uses about 60mb of data an hour
    So if you work out 1 hour per day and stream music while you work out, that is 60MB x 30 days = 1800MB per month to stream music, which is about 1.75GB per month.
    01-29-2014 09:36 AM
    All access still does allow you to pin music to your device. Using it this way without ULD does require a bit of proactive planning to pin enough/the right music onto the device while on wifi, etc. I tend to create playlists via browser while listening at work and stream those while working out, running and driving, but it'd work just as well to pin them.
    That's a lot of work! If I didn't already own so much music or if I didn't have an UDP it would be worth it, though. But I do already own a lot of music and I like owning it outright. I also run in areas where the 4G LTE signal is spotty.

Also, I know this is disputed here but when I have streamed music, it doesn't sound the same quality to me as playing music that is stored on my device. I have never paid for a premium service before, though.

For an extra $50 + tax = $53 for me, it is a no brainer to get the 32GB.
    01-29-2014 09:39 AM
    don't take many videos.
    if you ever have kids, you will. Now these phones last 2 years, not much more so if you are not planning on having kids or none of your siblings are going to be having kids in the near future it is a non-issue.
    01-29-2014 09:43 AM
    don't plan on using it as my music player (have a Clip Zip for that),
    I never planned on using mine as a music player, either. But it is so convenient to have your phone and your music player all in one device. I used to jog without my phone, but now it feels so unsafe to do so. If I were to get hurt or something suspicious were happening around me, I feel so much safer jogging with a phone on me and the Moto X is the right size for jogging.
    dmark44 likes this.
    01-29-2014 09:47 AM
    The math makes sense, but I listen to spotify on high quality at least 60-90 minutes a day, and according the usage meter, Spotify has never used more than 250 MB in a month.

I'd consider myself a pretty heavy user of my smartphones, but I use Spotify for music, auto upload my pics and videos, netflix is the only video watching I do. 16 MB is easily enough for me.
    01-29-2014 09:58 AM
    So if you work out 1 hour per day and stream music while you work out, that is 60MB x 30 days = 1800MB per month to stream music, which is about 1.75GB per month.
    Google Music (if you use it) will automatically cache and store music on your phone that you listen to often (or you can manually select which albums to cache), which will somewhat limit your data usage if you listen to the same songs multiple times. In my experience it has cached about 500-600mb of music on its own.
    01-29-2014 09:59 AM
    Google Music (if you use it) will automatically cache and store music on your phone that you listen to often (or you can manually select which albums to cache), which will somewhat limit your data usage if you listen to the same songs multiple times. In my experience it has cached about 500-600mb of music on its own.
    That kind of memory usage going on behind the scenes from the user was what was eating up the 16gb on board my HTC Rezound. There was also some bug that was causing a thumbnail data file grow to a bigger file size (3GB) than all of the thumbnails and photos on my phone combined.

Sent from my Moto X
    01-29-2014 10:09 AM
    That's a lot of work! If I didn't already own so much music or if I didn't have an UDP it would be worth it, though. But I do already own a lot of music and I like owning it outright. I also run in areas where the 4G LTE signal is spotty.
    I got to say that owning and managing music, especially if you like acquiring new music and like to listen to it on different sources, is a whole lot more work when compared to the convenience of Spotify or google all access. And spotify at high quality or extreme quality sounds very good to me.
    01-29-2014 10:10 AM
    I got to say that owning and managing music, especially if you like acquiring new music and like to listen to it on different sources, is a whole lot more work when compared to the convenience of Spotify or google all access. And spotify at high quality or extreme quality sounds very good to me.
    you are probably right, it is just that I am used to doing it the old fashioned way and to learn all these new services takes more work for me. I tried Spotify's free trial and didn't like it, but I didn't really spend much time on it. That is what I didn't like - to get to use it to the full capacity I would have needed to spend time learning it.
    01-29-2014 10:31 AM
    I never planned on using mine as a music player, either. But it is so convenient to have your phone and your music player all in one device. I used to jog without my phone, but now it feels so unsafe to do so. If I were to get hurt or something suspicious were happening around me, I feel so much safer jogging with a phone on me and the Moto X is the right size for jogging.
    Exactly! I use my phone for music, fitness tracking and the security of having a communications device with me when I run. Streaming music with a separate app while GPS tracking increased the chance of losing music to a lost signal or the possibility of an app crashing and is definitely more taxing on battery life. Also, using the built in music player on my fitness app ensures that the music quiets down properly for voice prompts so I hear them.

I'm sure the Moto X and Kit Kit probably perform more reliably than my old phones, but I like to know everything is just going to work when I start my workout!

Sent from my Moto X
    01-29-2014 10:44 AM
    Fortunately for the OP he won't be using the phone as a music player so that's not an issue.
    01-29-2014 12:12 PM
    Fortunately for the OP he won't be using the phone as a music player so that's not an issue.
    but he may change his mind after reading our responses that indicate why we do.
    01-29-2014 12:16 PM
72 123