Moto X: Deciding between 16GB and 32GB, how much memory is enough (for apps, etc.)?

nfotiu

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
For basically the cost of dinner out you can add tons of free space. Like Gator said you never know what you may need in the future

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

Personally, I think that $50 is much better spent on 5 months of spotify or google all access. Or on a higher data plan if you don't have unlimited.

Local phone storage is so 2012!:D

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I think that $50 is much better spent on 5 months of spotify or google all access. Or on a higher data plan if you don't have unlimited.

Yeah, try streaming Spotify in the cellular vacuum that is my office building.

Sent from my Moto X

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

That $50 will get you unlimited for a few months, assuming you have a carrier that let's you make changes to the data plan each month. Another 16 GB of storage is better if you ask me.

Posted via Android Central App

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Deciding between 16GB and 32GB, how much memory is enough (for apps, etc.)?

The decision depends on how you use your phone.

Mine is basically new, and I have about 9GB of the 16GB on my phone free.

1.7GB is consumed by app data and media (I have a few music albums pinned in G+), and a lot of apps loaded.

The other 5GB is the OS itself, so you'll never have more than 10-11 GB free for what you want to store.

I can't fit my entire music collection, but I can pin a handful of albums while on WiFi and have a reasonable selection of music for when I'm on the road and don't want to blow my 5GB monthly bandwidth allocation listening to tunes. I can't fit a ginormous library of photos, but I can take a few hundred with me if I want to.

16GB is sufficient for me, and the price difference was enough (for me) that I chose not to spring for the extra space.

If you can afford it and think you might need it, more storage is never a bad thing to have.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Honest question: does/will your phone run smoother if your memory is not filled to the gills.

If you have 16gigs filled on a 16 gig phone or you have 16 gigs filled on a 32 gig phone... Will the 32 be smoother than the 16 when accessing said memory?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Honest question: does/will your phone run smoother if your memory is not filled to the gills.

If you have 16gigs filled on a 16 gig phone or you have 16 gigs filled on a 32 gig phone... Will the 32 be smoother than the 16 when accessing said memory?

The phone will need a little space for caching, etc. That is why when you get to about 500mb Android stop allowing you to install apps. It really shouldn't matter as long you leave about 1gb of free space. You can get technical and talk about file fragmentation, but it doesn't matter that much with fast flash memory.

The phone more likely slow down with to many background running apps, although Android have good memory management poorly code apps or adware apps can still show down the phone.

sent via tapatalk

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Reverse of that. Smaller space runs faster. Less space has to be searched. Unless android automatically defragments drive space.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I just got a wood backed Moto X today. Under storage, it says 26.33GB Total Space but only 24.44GB available. I have not put anything on this device.

So is that right, a 32GB Moto X out of the box has only about 24.5GB available for apps/pictures/music? I am on Verizon so it's got some Verizon bloatware on it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Add up the size you think you'll need for everything, then double it. If you want to be conservative, triple it. (If the phone uses an external SD card, you can keep photos, songs and videos there, so allow about 1GB for use while you move things around, even if you're going to store 60GB of photos.)

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Reverse of that. Smaller space runs faster. Less space has to be searched. Unless android automatically defragments drive space.

Maybe a 16 GB phone with 2 gb free is slightly faster than a 32 gb phone with 18gb free. I don't know. But if you pack your phone to the gills, it will run slower and crash more often.

(I recently had to clean up my 32gb phone which was over-full. Made a huge difference.)