Moto X: Deciding between 16GB and 32GB, how much memory is enough (for apps, etc.)?

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
This will be my first smartphone, just need to decide on the capacity. On average how much storage memory do apps take up? Plus texts, etc.

I will at least have a few transportation apps (bus/train predictors, Uber, car2go, etc.), Youtube, Pandora, a few publications, and whatever else I end up finding. I know this will not take up 16 GB but I know you don't get to use all of that and over time with pics, etc it will add up. (I will probably not be using the phone as my music player or otherwise my music would fill up the 32 gb immediately.)

What about pictures? Does anyone know about how many would fit on 16 GB after apps, system use of memory, etc.?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
re: Deciding between 16GB and 32GB, how much memory is enough (for apps, etc.)?

I would strongly suggest going for 32 GB. Remember, the entire 16 GB won't be available to you since that also include system and other files. Not sure what the base is when you get it, but if you load any large games (1+ GB titles) or movies or have a vast music library, it will fill up. I will never get a 16 GB phone again. My games and other files suck up too much space. I only have 14 GB available on my 32 GB Droid Maxx. If I'd only had 16 GB, I'd be full already and constantly shuffling files on and off.

ballisticn8

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

I always tell people to go 32. 16 just isnt enough for pictures, music, podcasts, apps, etc for a lot of users. I think 32 gigs is plenty for most people.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

You can fit about 5100 pictures in 16gb, but you only have about 11gb free on the 16gb version to put your apps, cached music, etc. I'd say go 32gb

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Go 32GB. Pictures and games take up a ton of space; if you do a lot of either the 10-12 GB (not sure of the exact amount) that will be available to you with the 16GB version won't be enough. Unless you use the cloud for everything

Posted via Android Central App

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

32GB is nice but not strictly necessary unless you take lots of video and pictures and keep them permanently on the phone or if you store lots of music on board. While I'd like to have 32GB I'm doing just fine with 16GB.

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

I had a 16g iPhone and lately was having to delete pics to take anymore. I didn't really have that many either compared to other people. Then if I tried to take a video it would take up all my space. I had some music and not a ton of apps. I didn't want to have that worry anymore so I got 32g. It was only $99 which was $200 less than the iPhone 5s so I got it. It was fun putting music on it and not trying to pick only a few playlists. I could put what I wanted.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I put about 6GB of music on my Moto X, about 0.5GB of pics from my old phone, plus have 2GB of apps. That along with random data and docs, I've got right at half of the available memory left on my 32GB Moto X. I'd be spending time trying to decide what to delete right now if I went with the 16 GB.

Having that space is nice. I have a 16GB ipad 2 that I hardly store any media on, and ever since I only buy my family mobile devices that have minimum 32gb (or expansion available.)

Sent from my Moto X

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

Depends on your use. I have the 16GB version and am using 11.88 total. I have 5GB of music on my phone, 75 apps, and about 50 photos.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I have 16GB, whereas my last phone had 32. I thought it might be an issue, but it hasn't been at all. I don't store pics on my phone, as they're automatically backed up to Google+, and there's no need for them to be on the phone because they can be easily managed via the Photos app. I also use Google Play All Access and manage files easily through that app.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Having that space is nice.

Having $99 + tax is nice too. :) If I had the extra scratch I'd have gotten 32GB, too, but I'm really not having any problems with 16GB. It's good to have options.

To the OP: if you've got the money and you'll think you'll use it all go for it. If you don't and choose the 16GB you'll probably be fine though you might have to do some occasional house-cleaning.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the help everyone.

Depends on your use. I have the 16GB version and am using 11.88 total. I have 5GB of music on my phone, 75 apps, and about 50 photos.

So that's it - no games or videos, and it takes up that much space (which much be right about at the limit of useable space)?

Hmmm - I won't be downloading games (except maybe if there is a blackjack available, which won't take up too much space) and don't take many videos and don't plan on using it as my music player (have a Clip Zip for that), but maybe I should go for the 32GB just to be safe. More than I wanted to pay, but it's doable.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Hmmm - I won't be downloading games (except maybe if there is a blackjack available, which won't take up too much space) and don't take many videos and don't plan on using it as my music player (have a Clip Zip for that), but maybe I should go for the 32GB just to be safe.

If you're not using it as a music player, don't take many videos, and won't be downloading games, then I really don't think you'll need 32GB, especially if you don't want to pay for the extra storage.

I mean, I DO have some games on my phone and do use it as a music player at times, and 16GB has not been a problem at all and I don't foresee it being a problem for me in the future.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

If you intend to take photos and have some music in the phone 16gb is enough. If you want to store videos you'll need 32gb.

You can use Google Music service and upload your songs to Google and stream it, good way to save space.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I have 74 apps from the Play Store on my phone. The largest game is Candy Crush. I use my Nexus 7 for larger games (The Simpsons: Tapped Out, NBA Jam, etc.).

I do not keep music locally since I am still on a Verizon unlimited data plan.

I do not keep my pictures and videos on my phone for a long period of time since Google+ backs everything up.

According to the Storage section in the Settings -

Apps and their data: 4.99GB
Pictures, videos: 110MB

Cached data: 2.20GB

Available: 3.72GB

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I don't store much music on my device anymore as I stream either Play or Pandora. However, I am at ~50% memory used, and that is with 70+ apps and a Nandroid backup.

Games are getting bigger all the time, especially with ART. If you think you need to go bigger get the 32.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

This will be my first smartphone, just need to decide on the capacity.
My 32GB Moto X came out of the box with over 5 GBs used by the operating system and pre-installed apps. So you will have under 11GBs of space to use out of the box if you go with the 16GB Moto X.

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Keep photos and video backed up on your computer and you'll be fine. Back on my Samsung Stratosphere, I was handicapped with only 8 GB of storage (and I used it until last October!) and photos were the one thing that really gobbled up space. Eventually I threw in a 32GB SD card just because I was lazy.

I've a few games that are crazy big (FF6 takes around 500 MB) but most utility apps aren't that big so if you aren't a heavy gamer, you'll be fine. I don't have the largest music collection in the world (approx 600 songs) and it's only like 5 GB or so. I could live on 16 if I had to I suppose. Though in my case, my Note 3 is significantly more powerful than my old 2012 Nexus 7 so my phone has to do the heavy lifting lol

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

If you're not using it as a music player, don't take many videos, and won't be downloading games, then I really don't think you'll need 32GB, especially if you don't want to pay for the extra storage.

I mean, I DO have some games on my phone and do use it as a music player at times, and 16GB has not been a problem at all and I don't foresee it being a problem for me in the future.

I'm in the same boat. A bit of music, a few games, and plenty of space to spare.
My brother on the other hand, downloads a lot of games and filled up his 16 GB quick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36