Questions about unlocking boot loaders on Sprint

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I was excited to get a Dev Edition for Sprint. I got a $100 off code and everything. Now, I find as I'm sure you know, there isn't a Dev Edition for Sprint. I checked with Moto, and unlocking boot loaders does void the warranty on the Standard edition. I'm on a GS4 now, and I know that's a pain to avoid tripping the Knox flag. If I unlock my boot loader on a MotoX, will they really have a way to see that I did it, even if I relock before sending it in? I'm just wondering before I potentially buy this phone.

Tl;dr, do the root/unlock the bootloader methods trip any flags on the Standard Edition that Moto can see if I unroot/relock?

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
My plan is to unlock the bootloader and root after the warrantee expires. I may not get around to it, but I feel like this time I won't get trapped with non-upgradable old hardware/software, because after they stop supporting the phone, they will let me unlock it.

That might not suit your needs.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My plan is to unlock the bootloader and root after the warrantee expires. I may not get around to it, but I feel like this time I won't get trapped with non-upgradable old hardware/software, because after they stop supporting the phone, they will let me unlock it.

That might not suit your needs.

Yeah, that's different. The real reason I want root is for a nandroid backup, basically an exact duplicate backup, which requires root. As well as the Xposed framework, to get it working how I want it to.

ttenpas

May 2, 2011
Visit site
My warranty showed up as void as soon as I got the unlock code from Motorola. I don't think it matters if you actually use the code.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
There are ways to root the phone without having to unlock the bootloader, look it up at xda. There is also a modified recovery mode that is specifically for locked bootloader that can be used to make nandroid backup.

If you don't need to install custom rom and just need root you don't have to unlock the bootloader.

sent via tapatalk

Last edited:

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
There are ways to root the phone without having to unlock the bootloader, look it up at xda. k
Currently there is a way. Whether or not there will be a way in the future if you accept the 4.4.2 OTA will depend on whether the current exploit has been closed or not. And if it has, then a dev will need to find a new exploit for you to be able to root again.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
If I unlock my boot loader on a MotoX, will they really have a way to see that I did it, even if I relock before sending it in? I'm just wondering before I potentially buy this phone.
Short answer.. Yes. Moto can tell you unlocked your bootloader.

this is not like the old Motorola XOOM where you could just fastboot oem unlock... and it would unlock. This one you must specify the code which is uniqe to your Moto X, which moto gives you. When requesting the bootloader unlock code via the moto web site, they ask for some unique numbers from your phone, and issue a code that can only be used to unlock the bootloader on that phone. So I would imagine they keep a data base of which phones the bootloader unlock code has been requested for.

Also, the wording on the agreements you accept when requesting the code says your warranty is void as soon as you request the code.

If you just want to root and are worried about warranty... use SlapMyMoto process JCASE came up with and root. If you need to later, you can still use RSDLite or fastboot to flash back to "stock." That being said, any future updates may or may not be rootable, and unlocking your bootloader to root via custom recovery may be the only way. Only time will tell.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Short answer.. Yes. Moto can tell you unlocked your bootloader.

this is not like the old Motorola XOOM where you could just fastboot oem unlock... and it would unlock. This one you must specify the code which is uniqe to your Moto X, which moto gives you. When requesting the bootloader unlock code via the moto web site, they ask for some unique numbers from your phone, and issue a code that can only be used to unlock the bootloader on that phone. So I would imagine they keep a data base of which phones the bootloader unlock code has been requested for.

Also, the wording on the agreements you accept when requesting the code says your warranty is void as soon as you request the code.

If you just want to root and are worried about warranty... use SlapMyMoto process JCASE came up with and root. If you need to later, you can still use RSDLite or fastboot to flash back to "stock." That being said, any future updates may or may not be rootable, and unlocking your bootloader to root via custom recovery may be the only way. Only time will tell.

I really just want root, don't need the bootloader. I thought there were ways to unlock the bootloader without the official unlock, that wouldn't tell anyone who couldn't see the phone visually to see the flag. Ok, thanks.

Edit: I'm still a little hesitant to get the MotoX as not sure about Lenovo, but I'm also in a Sprint Spark area, and want to test them out with an N5 or a OneMax.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I really just want root, don't need the bootloader. I thought there were ways to unlock the bootloader without the official unlock, that wouldn't tell anyone who couldn't see the phone visually to see the flag.
no, there is no way to unlock the bootloader without the code.

Edit: I'm still a little hesitant to get the MotoX as not sure about Lenovo,
it's a non-issue with the Moto X as it is already out and 6 months into the upgrade cycles. The deal hasn't even been approved yet, so Google is still in charge and will be for quite some time.

Now with the Moto X2, you would have a point.

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
no, there is no way to unlock the bootloader without the code.

it's a non-issue with the Moto X as it is already out and 6 months into the upgrade cycles. The deal hasn't even been approved yet, so Google is still in charge and will be for quite some time.

Now with the Moto X2, you would have a point.

Didn't know there was only the official route. Guess no one is working on an unofficial when the official is easier to get.

I guess the Lenovo thing is just my paranoia. Yes, Google has said that it doesn't send back for this, and the other companies could be "always listening" just knowing that the X is, and is now in another country that iirc has ties to their Government as well... Yeah, just a little perturbed. Been looking for someone to do an traffic analyzer on an X to get concrete proof, but it's just that little bit creepy tbh.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Didn't know there was only the official route. Guess no one is working on an unofficial when the official is easier to get.
The Verizon and GSM unlocked Dev Eds qualify for the unlock codes. The US Cellular and Sprint branded devices qualify for the unlock codes as does the unbranded "TMobile" Moto X. Only the Verizon non-Dev Eds and ATT branded devices do not.

Motorola bootloaders are very hard to crack and in the past some have not been cracked. There isn't a huge amount of dev support for the Moto X to begin with and couple all of that with the fact that so many of the phones qualify for the unlock codes and you can see why no one is trying to come up with a way to do it.

I guess the Lenovo thing is just my paranoia. Yes, Google has said that it doesn't send back for this, and the other companies could be "always listening" just knowing that the X is, and is now in another country that iirc has ties to their Government as well... Yeah, just a little perturbed. Been looking for someone to do an traffic analyzer on an X to get concrete proof, but it's just that little bit creepy tbh.
I don't understand your point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie