Moto x att or unlocked question

skullfreak

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Will the lte be the same if I get the unlocked version instead of the att?
Would the signal be the same strength in both?
I had the nexus 5 and even tho it had lte my signal was not good because it wasn't an att phone.
thx....

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If the radio supports a specific frequency then it doesn't matter if it is ATT branded or not.

Example:
Unlocked phone with 900mhz radio support and ATT branded phone with 900mhz radio support will both get the same signal strength on ATT.

This is a general rule, hardware and software are different for different manufacturers so you signal strength can vary from say Samsung to Motorola but 2 Moto X's with the same radios(ATT version and T-Mobile version) will get the same signal strength on ATT.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

skullfreak

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
If the radio supports a specific frequency then it doesn't matter if it is ATT branded or not.

Example:
Unlocked phone with 900mhz radio support and ATT branded phone with 900mhz radio support will both get the same signal strength on ATT.

This is a general rule, hardware and software are different for different manufacturers so you signal strength can vary from say Samsung to Motorola but 2 Moto X's with the same radios(ATT version and T-Mobile version) will get the same signal strength on ATT.

Ok thx.
Any clue why the nexus 5 had a bad signal on att?

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok thx.
Any clue why the nexus 5 had a bad signal on att?

Honestly no idea. I had a Nexus 5 and it worked fine...but we are talking two different areas where we live.

There are so many variables when you are talking about wireless signal. But when you are talking about the same exact phone on the same exact carrier you should be fine.

The ATT Moto X is locked to ATT and only has bands for ATT. It can be unlocked for use on T-Mobile but ATT will fight you tooth and nail and it will not get HSPA in all areas on T-Mobile. It also cones with ATT bloatware and the ATT logo on the back. It will also always say the carrier you are using on the top left of your task bar.

The T-Mobile Moto X has no carrier branding on the back, no bloatware, and no carrier icon on the top left of your task bar. It has all the necessary radios to work on ATT and T-Mobile for 2G, 3G, HSPA, and LTE. It also will let you tether on ATT even if you don't pay for tethering, no root required. And it is unlocked out of the box...if you are going to pay for a phone off contract it should be unlocked.

In my opinion, there is ZERO reason to buy the ATT version. And if you do, even though you payed full price for it, you still have to jump through hoops to get it unlocked.

And if you like rooting and ROMing and all of that jazz, buy the Dev edition. It is the T-Mobile version bit you cannot customize it.

skullfreak

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Honestly no idea. I had a Nexus 5 and it worked fine...but we are talking two different areas where we live.

There are so many variables when you are talking about wireless signal. But when you are talking about the same exact phone on the same exact carrier you should be fine.

The ATT Moto X is locked to ATT and only has bands for ATT. It can be unlocked for use on T-Mobile but ATT will fight you tooth and nail and it will not get HSPA in all areas on T-Mobile. It also cones with ATT bloatware and the ATT logo on the back. It will also always say the carrier you are using on the top left of your task bar.

The T-Mobile Moto X has no carrier branding on the back, no bloatware, and no carrier icon on the top left of your task bar. It has all the necessary radios to work on ATT and T-Mobile for 2G, 3G, HSPA, and LTE. It also will let you tether on ATT even if you don't pay for tethering, no root required. And it is unlocked out of the box...if you are going to pay for a phone off contract it should be unlocked.

In my opinion, there is ZERO reason to buy the ATT version. And if you do, even though you payed full price for it, you still have to jump through hoops to get it unlocked.

And if you like rooting and ROMing and all of that jazz, buy the Dev edition. It is the T-Mobile version bit you cannot customize it.

OK last thing sorry if its a dumb question.
So if I get the unlocked moto x its really a tmoble unlocked moto x?
thx again

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
thx again

No dumb questions at all...ask away.

Yes, the unlocked version is the XT-1053 which is the T-Mobile version. All this means is that it comes with a T-Mobile SIM card but you open it up and just put in your ATT nano SIM and you are good to go. Nothing in the phone itself says T-Mobile.

skullfreak

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
No dumb questions at all...ask away.

Yes, the unlocked version is the XT-1053 which is the T-Mobile version. All this means is that it comes with a T-Mobile SIM card but you open it up and just put in your ATT nano SIM and you are good to go. Nothing in the phone itself says T-Mobile.

ok cool.\
do you use sim adaptors at all?
I have a few but never used them yet I heard a lot of bad things that they can damage the pins in the phone.

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
thx again

Yes but it will come with a T Mobile SIM card though it will work with an ATT nano too if you had one. OOPS already answered sorry.

Posted via Android Central App

gvndeb60

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
ok cool.\
do you use sim adaptors at all?
I have a few but never used them yet I heard a lot of bad things that they can damage the pins in the phone.

SIM adapters can be scary. I use them but am always very careful. They can bend the pins if they are cheap and have big gaps between the actual SIM card and the adapter. The more expensive ones have a very small gap. I use Noose adapters and have never had an issue.

Good news is though you will not need an adapter. The nano SIM is the smallest they make so you will need to go to ATT to get one from them when you get your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7