Battery Stats: Wifi Shows Always On, Even when Off

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Searched around but didn't seem to find this specific issue in the forums.

So let me start by saying I'm getting great battery life, no issues there. The problem (if you can call it that) I've noticed is that in my battery stats menu, it always shows Wifi as being on, even when I've turned Wifi off and am not using it.

The example below is from this morning. Phone came off the charger at 100% battery when I went for lunch at noon (I actually turned Wifi off in the settings at this time), at around 2PM I looked at the battery stats menu and noticed that the bar representing Wifi is solid blue for the entire reporting time, which to me means the phone thinks Wifi is on (or connected? Not sure what the blue represents) the whole time. Everything else seems to be fine, GPS, Awake, Screen times seem accurate. I was using maps and Yelp a lot so the battery drain and GPS times seem normal.

Anyone else notice this or am I missing something? In my settings I have Wifi set to stay on during sleep, but that shouldn't matter because my phone wasn't "sleeping" most of the time anyways.

Screenshot_2014-01-31-13-53-41.png

SandroidE

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had something like this, but with GPS...
Exact same thing, that did not affect battery life at all, just a bug with the stats. It was present some times after using some app (different ones) that uses GPS... Then turned everything off, but for some reason android thought GPS was still on and operational...

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I had this issue with SlimBean ROM. Not sure what fixed it but I have "WiFi always on during sleep" unchecked, and the "Let Google scan for available WiFi networks" also unchecked

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Here's what my advanced settings look like

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1391213244401.jpg
    1391213244401.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 85

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Uncheck the setting below that one, "Scanning always available. Let's Google's location service and other apps....., even when Wifi is off."

Thanks for the tips! I missed that setting but just checked and it is off already. I'll try toggling WiFi sleep over the weekend and see if anything changes. I like to leave it on at the office because I am up in the mountains and while I do get LTE, the signal isn't always strong. Like I said, it doesn't seem to be affecting battery life, which has been great for me, so I'm not too concerned.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X

solariz1

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

can I ask which ROM you are using? Stock?

Very strange thing, I had discovered Exactly the Same bug but on my Oppo Find5 with Kitkat 4.4.2. I thought it's a bug of the ROM (Omnirom) but maybe it's somewhat deeper.

I noticed the exact same behavior, wifi stat bar is always 100% even if the wifi is Proofen to go to deep sleep. I checked logcat and wifi is really going to sleep and wake up when i turn on the phone, but the wifi bar is displaying no gap at all. Always 100%. Luckily its just seems a display bug and not affecting real standby at all.

I submit a ROM Bug for it but now im not sure if it's really rom related or any other strange random bug in kitkat.

My bugreport to omnirom with logs and screenshots: Log in - OMNI

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

can I ask which ROM you are using? Stock?

Very strange thing, I had discovered Exactly the Same bug but on my Oppo Find5 with Kitkat 4.4.2. I thought it's a bug of the ROM (Omnirom) but maybe it's somewhat deeper.

I noticed the exact same behavior, wifi stat bar is always 100% even if the wifi is Proofen to go to deep sleep. I checked logcat and wifi is really going to sleep and wake up when i turn on the phone, but the wifi bar is displaying no gap at all. Always 100%. Luckily its just seems a display bug and not affecting real standby at all.

I submit a ROM Bug for it but now im not sure if it's really rom related or any other strange random bug in kitkat.

My bugreport to omnirom with logs and screenshots: Log in - OMNI

It's not Kit Kat, because I'm on a JB ROM and still had the same issue. I posted the solution a few posts above

Posted via Android Central App

Amit Bhardwaj

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Problem solved for me
Now WiFi bar is not Solid like before in bettery status- also bettery consumption decreased - -
Open WiFi
Go into Advance settings
There is option to choose if Google use WiFi even in turned off position.
Untick that option.
And problem gone...

sixgunbuddyguy

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
i've got a moto x 2nd gen and am noticing this problem. i have always kept scanning turned off, network notification turned off. i'm on 5.0.2 right now. the weird thing is i'm pretty sure it didn't used to do that, even since i upgraded to lollipop.

paul anthony bulao

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Problem solved for me
Now WiFi bar is not Solid like before in bettery status- also bettery consumption decreased - -
Open WiFi
Go into Advance settings
There is option to choose if Google use WiFi even in turned off position.
Untick that option.
And problem gone...

Did this and the gps and wifi battery stats are still always on. Asus Zenfone Go

Sanjoth Shaw

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
============================================
1. Wiping Cache Partition.
2. An app must be interfering with the android system. Uninstall applications like Clean Master, Ram Boosters, Process Killers ,etc.
Your phone doesn't need these optimizers and they are the source of the problem creating problems with the usage, asking for permissions to interfere with the system.

NOTE : Process killers, ram boosters mostly the problem, you don't need to disable WiFi everytime after use, just go to wifi options -> advanced -> Keep wifi on during sleep -> Never and select WiFi freq band as requied.

After this step you need to clear cache again and then you will never see WiFi on top i.e System will function normally.

============================================

oneeyecarpenter

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I know this is an old thread, but my HTC m9 on Nougat was doing the very same thing. I tried all the recommended settings adjustments before coming here, and even put the phone into safe mode. Still, Wi-Fi in battery stats stayed constant. I even deleted cache and data for Google Play Services. Nothing! So I tried one thing that I thought, why not. I toggled extreme battery saver in settings, and toggled it off again, and guess what, no Wi-Fi bar in Battery Stats.
I did all the usual things when this first started, clearing all apps caches, disabled many apps testing this to no avail. I'm not sure it's permanent, but after a couple hours of being a power user, it's still clear.

I will post if it returns, but for search engine purposes, I wanted to let others know what seems to work for me at this point.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar