Developer Ed. or Custom Moto X

slackermvp

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I am coming from an iPhone 4s.

- on Verizon
- unlimited data (want to tether without VZW subscription)

I have been using Android for a few months now, with the '13 Nexus 7 (4.4.2 stock). I have no experience rooting or doing anything to any phone or device. I have done my research and understand that the DE Moto X has an unlockable bootloader, which in turn makes it easier to root and makes WiFi tethering easier and essentially free from VZW's grasp.

With this in mind, would you guys suggest I get the DE Moto X so I don't void my warranty of a customized one? Rather than get a customized one and try to unlock the bootloader, root, and all that stuff. My main goal is to get free WiFi tethering with my unlimited data.

All help is appreciated.

Posted via Android Central App

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
If keeping your warranty is important to you then I would go with the DE if you plan to root. The DE will also probably hold its value better over time. Although you could probably find an app to tether via USB without the need for root.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you can unlock a non DE Verizon version (at least not through Motorola)

Edit: over $1000 if you find a way: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2493862

Jeep Naaked

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Motorola explictly states that the Dev Ed simply doesn't have its one-year warranty void. A regular Moto X can have its bookloader unlocked.

"Unless you have a Developer Edition device, once you get the unlock code, your device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty; in other words, please don't blame us if things go wrong, even if they appear unrelated to unlocking the bootloader."

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2