02-11-2014 11:51 PM
224 12345 ...
tools
    Mostly likely they have different hardware.
    I believe the N5 has OIS. The moto does not.

On a side note, I gave up on the N5 because the autofocus would never behave.
    I have to say I agree with the guys that say you are you using the wrong tool (phone) for good pics. I look at all the pics I take on a 52 inch TV on a random cycle. IPhone5s, N5, moto x all have grain. I was most disappointed by the iP5 because of all the hype. I picked up an RX100 and it trashes all of them. If you want to keep the pics use something better. If they are throw always, who cares?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    dmark44 likes this.
    02-03-2014 07:35 PM
    Try clearing the Camera app data and cache, uninstall updates (return to factory settings), retart your phone, then reinstall the update from Google Play.
    Just tried it and no luck... really weird. I've never had a situation where I've installed an app directly from the play store and it didn't do anything.
    02-03-2014 07:46 PM
    Many of the playstore updates are for 4.4 moto devices.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    droidman2177 likes this.
    02-03-2014 07:48 PM
    Just tried it and no luck... really weird. I've never had a situation where I've installed an app directly from the play store and it didn't do anything.
    Attached Thumbnails Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke-1391479162384.jpg  
    02-03-2014 07:59 PM
    I think you might want to try 4.4. Nothing is true is spot on here. Update to kitkat and then update the camera app and give it a go. Good luck!
    02-03-2014 08:03 PM
    that's the reason why I still have my iPhone. Moto X and iPhone combo is great for me. Android iOS combo!
    02-03-2014 08:13 PM
    I believe the N5 has OIS. The moto does not.

On a side note, I gave up on the N5 because the autofocus would never behave.
    I have to say I agree with the guys that say you are you using the wrong tool (phone) for good pics. I look at all the pics I take on a 52 inch TV on a random cycle. IPhone5s, N5, moto x all have grain. I was most disappointed by the iP5 because of all the hype. I picked up an RX100 and it trashes all of them. If you want to keep the pics use something better. If they are throw always, who cares?

Yep, they're all pretty grainy when viewed full size!

Sent from my Moto X
    02-03-2014 08:17 PM
    Yep, they're all pretty grainy when viewed full size!

Sent from my Moto X
    Honestly I've wondered if that is why people think it is so good, the screen is much smaller.

02-03-2014 08:43 PM
    Completely agree with the OP. The camera software is incapable of adequately dealing with nonoptimal lighting conditions which happen indoors most of the time.

The camera hardware is good, because changing the ISO manually with a different camera app produces much better results. The problem with this is that every camera app I've tried becomes really laggy on this phone when the ISO mode is switched to manual, which leads me to believe there is some kind of a camera driver problem.

Either way, this is unacceptable and needs to be fixed.
    02-03-2014 09:21 PM
    Well the 4.4.2 update buffed up the Nexus 5's camera a lot, and now its coming out for the Moto X, so we'll see.
    02-03-2014 09:44 PM
    If the Camera on your smartphone is your biggest concern, get an LG G2. There's no better overall smartphone camera at this time.

Everyone's got a "feature" that is most important to them. The Moto X has what I want, but if you need a great Camera, this is not the right phone. I don't know why this debate has even gone on this long.
    someguy01234 and asdrew like this.
    02-04-2014 01:09 AM
    Indoor / low light performance is definitely better with 4.4.2. Hopefully Motorola will get the update out to the American Moto X's soon.

Posted via Android Central App
    dmark44 likes this.
    02-04-2014 02:19 AM
    Today is my 4th day with the X and everything was good until this morning when I tried to use the camera, all of a sudden it stopped working! I had to reinstall it from the play store to get it working. This is complete failure to me, this should not happen on a new or any device every. I was never an Apple fan but I believe Apple has better control of their apps and how they play with devices.

I gave my 5s to my son and picked up the Moto X only to realize the Android is still very fragmented in the way they operate. It time to return the X for another 5s!

02-04-2014 05:22 AM
    Everyone's got a "feature" that is most important to them. The Moto X has what I want, but if you need a great Camera, this is not the right phone. I don't know why this debate has even gone on this long.
    This is not a debate.

Not sure why some find it so hard to understand that stating the need for better quality software for their purchased upgradeable product is not "debating" or "beating a dead horse".
    natehoy and msnider23 like this.
    02-04-2014 06:56 AM
    Dang that is what I thought. I guess I have to wait for my regional carrier (ntelos) to post the update. Anyone know if Moto will post the update on their site or is it its only?
    02-04-2014 06:58 AM
    Today is my 4th day with the X and everything was good until this morning when I tried to use the camera, all of a sudden it stopped working! I had to reinstall it from the play store to get it working. This is complete failure to me, this should not happen on a new or any device every. I was never an Apple fan but I believe Apple has better control of their apps and how they play with devices.

I gave my 5s to my son and picked up the Moto X only to realize the Android is still very fragmented in the way they operate. It time to return the X for another 5s!

Sounds like operator error.

Btw, your posting history is pretty entertaining.
    02-04-2014 07:09 AM
    I have to say that I too am not displeased with the camera on my x. I came from a Note 3 which on paper has a killer camera, but for some reason I couldn't get a decent shot on it for nothing! They were always blurry and never seemed to focus on what I wanted.
    Just snapped this quick pic of my daughter while we're chilling in the living room watching TV ... Only the light from one small table lamp and the TV itself. Not too bad IMO:
    http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/04/bysy2ene.jpg

Tapatalked via my moto x
    I have to say that's the best MotoX shot I've seen under those conditions.

Did you use the stock software or is this something different?

Was this a "grab camera, point, shoot" or did you have to fiddle with any settings (and if you did, please share them).

Thanks.
    02-04-2014 07:19 AM

Yeah, because an Apple app has never crashed and an iPhone has never needed troubleshooting. The Genius Bar at the Apple Store is just for show.

You're delusional.
    David Coconut likes this.
    02-04-2014 08:54 AM
    All phones will have bugs and issues. As no phone is perfect, the question is what do you want to compromise on? In my opinion, the biggest negative with the moto x is the camera. While it can produce excellent results in optimal conditions (outside), it produces pretty poor results inside with low light. The N5, S4, HTC One, and the 5s will all do better in these situations and a DSLR or even a decent point and shoot will do even better. It comes down to compromises. If a better camera is more important to you than active notifications/always listening then the moto x isn't for you. If a camera isn't as important, than it may be the best phone available right now for you. Up until recently I've always found the iPhone to have the best camera and the smoothest user experience, but it lacks the customization that many of us love about android so it was never an option for me. Thankfully the newer android phones (HTC One, N5, moto x) are as smooth as the iPhone5/5s. Camera wise there are android phones that can compete with the 5/5s, but the moto x isn't one of them. That is a shame, as it was clear Motorola wanted the moto x to appeal to iPhone users (focus on user experience not specs and migration tool to easily switch from iCloud to Google). If the X2 has wireless charging and a better camera count me in!
    02-04-2014 09:29 AM
    Here is with and without flash. I use the focus finder a lot to adjust white balance and am getting much better at turning out acceptable photos.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke-1391528873920.jpg   Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke-1391528889488.jpg  
    Ry likes this.
    02-04-2014 09:48 AM
    Here is with and without flash. I use the focus finder a lot to adjust white balance and am getting much better at turning out acceptable photos.

The image with the flash isn't half bad. But that 2nd image without it literally looks like it came out of a phone from 2008. That's what I mean by unacceptable. Aside from the camera, I really do love the Moto X. I'd even be willing to compromise somewhat on camera performance b/c I like it that much. But the camera on this device isn't just a small compromise. It's significantly worse than any other high end smartphone camera on the market.
    02-04-2014 09:51 AM
    I obtained a $100 coupon for the Moto X so figured I'd give it a shot (Walnut/Black/Silver) to see how it compared to my Nexus 5. I was intrigued by active notifications and Moto Assist and thought they would be really useful features for me. I've had the phone for 3 days now and it's a really great device. My one major complaint (as in deal breaker bad) is the fact that the camera on this phone is pathetic. It's pretty much on the same level as an iPhone 4 from 3.5 years ago which is totally unacceptable.

I use my phone camera a lot...especially being that I'm a new father and without significant improvement, I can't justify switching from the N5. Now being that this is a 10 MP shooter with seemingly decent specs, I'm surprised that the camera can be this poor. Does anyone know if there are any plans for this camera to be upgraded via software anytime soon? I know they released an upgrade via the Play Store soon after release but this assessment is post update. I also know what camera software is capable of b/c the update to the N5 camera was basically night & day. I'm REALLY hoping this can be fixed b/c aside from the camera performance, this is a really great phone.
    I agree but the moto x is my secondary phone so I will not be using the camera all that often.

EvilMotoX
    02-04-2014 09:54 AM
    I find with this phone that I take MANY pics and sort thru them for a few gems. I've had S4, One, 920, and 1020 and none of them come close to the pure usability of the moto x. I thought it was all about the camera until this phone

dmark44 likes this.
    02-04-2014 10:01 AM
    Then of course here is outdoor HDR on. Very good.

Attached Thumbnails Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke-1391529870943.jpg  
    dmark44 likes this.
    02-04-2014 10:04 AM
    Then of course here is outdoor HDR on. Very good.

It would be harder for a camera to screw up a picture in those conditions than to capture a good one! Daytime. Bright sunlight. Landscape. Motionless subject. Snowy (allows light to bounce back upward off the surface).
    02-04-2014 10:08 AM
224 12345 ...