02-11-2014 11:51 PM
224 ... 23456 ...
tools
    It would be harder for a camera to screw up a picture in those conditions than to capture a good one! Daytime. Bright sunlight. Landscape. Motionless subject. Snowy (allows light to bounce back upward off the surface).
    Very true, here is an outside shoot HDR off moving subjects. And then second is indoors, I often get a cloudiness on indoor shots but not smudginess like the xmas tree shot in this thread. Maybe overexposure??

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke-1391531413737.jpg   Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke-1391531580126.jpg  
    02-04-2014 10:33 AM
    Very true, here is an outside shoot HDR off moving subjects. And then second is indoors, I often get a cloudiness on indoor shots but not smudginess like the xmas tree shot in this thread. Maybe overexposure??

Yea this proves my point. The first image of your kids is still below average in ideal lighting conditions as you can barely make out any of the detail in the snow. The second image is just terrible with the same fogginess that I'm receiving in almost all my indoor shots.
    02-04-2014 10:38 AM
    The second shot is clearly overexposed and washed out. That can probably be compensated for a bit by turning on the focus/exposure control. Drag the focal point to the child's face, which is one of the brighter spots (literally and figuratively, since that's where you'd want the focus to go as well - LOL). That should dim the picture down a bit and make it an acceptable snapshot.

The good news on that photo as captured is that the kid's face is in relatively good focus, so you still have a salvageable image out of that one. Postprocess that with almost any editing software and get it dimmed down a bit which will tone down the cloudiness, then apply just a touch of color correction - it looks just a hint blued.

The HDR outdoor photo is acceptable for a phone camera, agreed. The exposure is reasonable and the contrast isn't too bad. Perhaps a bit oversaturated, but that's easy to fix. The focus isn't perfect but it's good enough for a snapshot and is well within acceptable norms for a camera phone.

These two pictures actually show that the hardware isn't too bad on this phone. Despite the software's best attempts to mess things up, the hardware sent a decently-detailed image in both cases. With a little touchup work, both of these would be good photos by phone camera standards.

I'm going to have to experiment with this camera a little more. Maybe my point-and-shoot expectations were simply too high for the new software.
    02-04-2014 11:16 AM
    The Moto X is a great phone, but like most phones its a compromise. Apparently, camera/photo quality was not of paramount importance to Googorola at the time.

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 
    asdrew likes this.
    02-04-2014 11:23 AM
    Here is with and without flash. I use the focus finder a lot to adjust white balance and am getting much better at turning out acceptable photos.

Is it possible to control the white balance? Or are you moving the focus/exposure circle around and as you do this the phone is adjusting the white balance?
    02-04-2014 12:15 PM
    Is it possible to control the white balance? Or are you moving the focus/exposure circle around and as you do this the phone is adjusting the white balance?
    No, and yes. The white balance and focus are controlled by the focus/exposure circle.

I don't see any way to do it manually unless I'm very seriously missing something (which I accept is very possible).

There are 5 controls. It's a very simple UI, I'll give it that...
    02-04-2014 12:53 PM
    The Moto X is a great phone, but like most phones its a compromise. Apparently, camera/photo quality was not of paramount importance to Googorola at the time.

I just realized I won't be able to say Googorola anymore. Now I'm gonna have to say...wait...wait for it.... Lenovorola.

02-04-2014 12:56 PM
    Lenovorola.
    Motonovo.
    dmark44 likes this.
    02-04-2014 12:58 PM
    No, and yes. The white balance and focus are controlled by the focus/exposure circle.

I don't see any way to do it manually unless I'm very seriously missing something (which I accept is very possible).

There are 5 controls. It's a very simple UI, I'll give it that...
    That's what I see on mine, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something
    02-04-2014 01:11 PM
    Based on my own experience and shots posted here, the Moto X is good enough and far from an "absolute" joke.
    tr-1 and David Coconut like this.
    02-04-2014 01:13 PM
    Motonovo.
    Lol. Yeah, I think I prefer that.

02-04-2014 01:14 PM
    Based on my own experience and shots posted here, the Moto X is good enough and far from an "absolute" joke.
    I dare mention that I like the 5s' camera, especially its low-light and HDR performance.

02-04-2014 01:15 PM

Hate to get off topic but your dog looks just like my dog! Do you know the breed(s)? I got mine at a shelter in 05 after hurricane Katrina and was told Black Lab/Border Collie mix at the time but I've never been real sure. (Mine is all black though)

And to stick more to the topic, indoor shots do leave much to be desired. For any photos that I care turn out really good I use my DSLR.
    02-04-2014 02:53 PM
    I guess we have very different standards for what is considered "good enough."
    02-04-2014 03:23 PM
    Hate to get off topic but your dog looks just like my dog! Do you know the breed(s)? I got mine at a shelter in 05 after hurricane Katrina and was told Black Lab/Border Collie mix at the time but I've never been real sure. (Mine is all black though)

And to stick more to the topic, indoor shots do leave much to be desired. For any photos that I care turn out really good I use my DSLR.
    Ha, yes I thought the dog was was lab border collie too but many people have said they think he is a newfoundland. I don't think he's big enough to be pure newffie, he's a great dog!!

Here is an example of what I consider a good shot (keep in mind I'm red green color blind).

And then another bad cloudy one.

Again I just use the "carpet bombing" theory, take a bunch to get a few gems.

PS. Photos crisper when you click on them vs. viewing in thread.

Attached Thumbnails Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke-1391552149177.jpg   Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke-1391552199162.jpg  
    JoeNM84 likes this.
    02-04-2014 04:17 PM
    Let me just summarize my experience coming from a lumia 920 and 1020. The first week or two with the moto x camera were like "oh $hit this camera stinks!" But like anything else you begin to learn what the camera likes and doesn't, which is another reason to get out there and take plenty of photos. I've learned that this camera hates any backlight and also low light indoors so I don't attempt those.

Recently I've been experimenting with indoor pics with flash and although I get red eye a lot I also get some good color and sometimes get that gem pic that makes it worthwhile.

Experiment and learn, there is always the delete button people, come on!!

dmark44 and PDT816 like this.
    02-04-2014 04:30 PM
    I have to agree, I did not buy the X for the camera. If I wanted to have a good camera phone I would have stuck with my G Pro! That had a good camera!
    02-04-2014 04:30 PM
    You really shouldn't have to "experiment". You should just have to take a picture and be able to count on most of them being at least adequate to good. That is not the case with the Moto X and is why I returned mine. The pictures posted by others in this thread were consistent with my experience.

Let me just summarize my experience coming from a lumia 920 and 1020. The first week or two with the moto x camera were like "oh $hit this camera stinks!" But like anything else you begin to learn what the camera likes and doesn't, which is another reason to get out there and take plenty of photos. I've learned that this camera hates any backlight and also low light indoors so I don't attempt those.

Recently I've been experimenting with indoor pics with flash and although I get red eye a lot I also get some good color and sometimes get that gem pic that makes it worthwhile.

Experiment and learn, there is always the delete button people, come on!!

02-04-2014 04:45 PM
    You really shouldn't have to "experiment". You should just have to take a picture and be able to count on most of them being at least adequate to good. That is not the case with the Moto X and is why I returned mine. The pictures posted by others in this thread were consistent with my experience.
    Hope you didn't just return it this week, right before the update that vastly improves indoor / low light shots.
    02-04-2014 05:09 PM
    Dude, I still had to learn how to use my 1020 to get good pics on a consistent basis!! You're asking too much, in my opinion, of this phone. Pros outweigh cons is what I am ultimately saying.

02-04-2014 05:11 PM
    Ha, yes I thought the dog was was lab border collie too but many people have said they think he is a newfoundland. I don't think he's big enough to be pure newffie, he's a great dog!!

Here is an example of what I consider a good shot (keep in mind I'm red green color blind).

And then another bad cloudy one.

Again I just use the "carpet bombing" theory, take a bunch to get a few gems.

PS. Photos crisper when you click on them vs. viewing in thread.

On the cloudy one, I did this to your photo using snapseed's automatic filter.

Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke-uploadfromtaptalk1391555443723.jpg

The quality isn't that great, but its due to the size of the file being 48kb. Try editing your original file through snapseed using the automatic filter.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro
    02-04-2014 05:11 PM
    Brilliant!!!

When I have time I will cull them out and do post processing. I really enjoy using this phone!!

02-04-2014 05:14 PM
    That is good to hear. I returned it about six weeks ago. I considered getting it again with Valentines day deal but didn't pull the trigger because I hadn't heard any news on the camera. Is the LCD banding issue still present?

Hope you didn't just return it this week, right before the update that vastly improves indoor / low light shots.
    02-04-2014 06:17 PM
    This would be a game changer for me! Where did you get this info?!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    02-04-2014 06:28 PM
    Would like to know as well as I don't see any mention of it on any message board that I frequent.

This would be a game changer for me! Where did you get this info?!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    02-04-2014 07:29 PM
224 ... 23456 ...