02-12-2014 12:51 AM
224 ... 45678 ...
tools
    On XDA someone posted the camera app version number on 4.4.2 and it was different from what is in the store.
    I am fine with the camera and willing to wait, but since the camera isn't baked into the OS, I wouldn't complain if they released the new version sooner than 4.4.2
    02-05-2014 01:03 PM
    Here's a sample indoor shot with 4.4.2. It looks like pretty good lighting in the picture, but really it's pretty dim at my desk. Pictures taken at my desk with 4.4 were more grainy and had almost a hazy look to them. Now they're pretty good.

huntnyc likes this.
    02-05-2014 01:09 PM
    Motorola employees have stated that they don't include every change in release notes. It helps them get feedback without placebo reports. Plus, those release notes weren't intended to be made public. They are soak test release notes.

Posted via Android Central App
    I will have to disagree with the part in bold, as it is linked under their Help Topics for the moto x. Go to motorola.com click on get help then click on moto x and you will get the page linked below.

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...696/#/how_do_i
    02-05-2014 01:10 PM
    I will have to disagree with the part in bold, as it is linked under their Help Topics for the moto x. Go to motorola.com click on get help then click on moto x and you will get the page linked below.

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...696/#/how_do_i
    OK, fine, but those are still release notes for a build that hasn't been released to the public. And the first part of my comment was the more important part. I have never seen an Android manufacturer, even Google, list every change in their update release notes, and Motorola has said that they don't.
    02-05-2014 01:15 PM
    Motorola employees have stated that they don't include every change in release notes. It helps them get feedback without placebo reports. Plus, those release notes weren't intended to be made public. They are soak test release notes.

Posted via Android Central App
    The notes from a soak test look to be the same when they become official though.
    02-05-2014 01:18 PM
    You guys can keep arguing all you want, but from experience, there are several changes and improvements in 4.4.2 for the Moto X that are not listed in those release notes.
    02-05-2014 01:23 PM
    4.4.2 has new camera firmware that improves the camera a bit and cannot be updated with app. I was also told that it's not a game changer and its somewhat a minor update. We will see. But I have to agree, on 4.4 camera is sh1t
    02-05-2014 01:23 PM
    On XDA someone posted the camera app version number on 4.4.2 and it was different from what is in the store.
    Maybe because they'll mention it in a Play Store update.
    02-05-2014 01:24 PM
    The notes from a soak test look to be the same when they become official though.
    Correct, and it appears this is past the soak test phase, as the notes say "This Moto X software update is for all T-Mobile USA users." Again, I am not saying they didn't change something with the camera, all I said was I was surprised they wouldn't mention that in the notes. When the moto x was first released it got a lot of bad press regarding its camera - so you would think they would want people to know they are continuing to improve it.
    02-05-2014 01:25 PM
    4.4.2 has new camera firmware that improves the camera a bit and cannot be updated with app. I was also told that it's not a game changer and its somewhat a minor update. We will see. But I have to agree, on 4.4 camera is sh1t
    link?
    02-05-2014 01:28 PM
    Here's a low light comparison shot between 4.4 (left) and 4.4.2 (right) on the Moto X. This is the last comment I'm going to make about this until updates are released for the American phones. Arguing about it was never my intention.

JoeNM84, redeyss and huntnyc like this.
    02-05-2014 01:37 PM
    I know my view of this may seem misguided but I don't understand why, in 2013, Googorola thought it a good idea to release the Moto X with a camera that did not meet or exceed the competition given an environment when it was well known that camera quality is clearly important to most phone-buying consumers. Then, after the world noted the camera's issues they remain largely uncorrected even now. That's the kind of design mistake that will get your company up for sale.

Oh wait....

Sent from my Haalcyon iPad Air LTE 
    02-05-2014 01:38 PM
    Here's a low light comparison shot between 4.4 (left) and 4.4.2 (right) on the Moto X. This is the last comment I'm going to make about this until updates are released for the American phones. Arguing about it was never my intention.

http://imageshack.com/a/img691/4986/kbij.jpg
    Thanks for the photos, it does look much improved. And I didn't think we were arguing lol.
    02-05-2014 01:43 PM

http://imageshack.com/a/img691/4986/kbij.jpg
    That looks better
    02-05-2014 01:53 PM
    link?
    No link
    02-05-2014 01:55 PM
    I can take five different pictures of the same thing indoors from the same angle and the light or grain in all of them will look different. It's very inconsistent. I'm no expert but my feeling is this is partly due to the camera always trying to focus when on, instead of focusing when you take the picture like most of my camera phones in the past have.
    02-05-2014 01:59 PM
    I know my view of this may seem misguided but I don't understand why, in 2013, Googorola thought it a good idea to release the Moto X with a camera that did not meet or exceed the competition given an environment when it was well known that camera quality is clearly important to most phone-buying consumers.
    First, the Moto X is meant to reverse the trend of the spec wars - and it is not a high end hardware phone. It is a mid-range hardware phone. Second, Motorola has never had good cameras. No one buys a Motorola phone for its camera; you buy it for its radio and you accept that if you want a phone with a better camera, it will come at the price of a worse radio because Motorola's radios are the best.

Then, after the world noted the camera's issues they remain largely uncorrected even now. That's the kind of design mistake that will get your company up for sale.

Oh wait....
    what is clear to everyone is that it was Google's plan all along to sell Motorola quickly. They wanted the patents, Motorola would not sell the patents without the businesses and so Google had to buy Motorola. But the plan then was to use the patents and Motorola as leverage against Samsung to get a cross licensing agreement and some concessions from Samsung regarding how they clutter up android with their crap software. The minute the ink was dry on that agreement, Google offered up Motorola to Lenovo for sale.

The sale of Motorola by Google had nothing to do with the Moto X's camera or the Moto X for that mater.
    02-05-2014 02:03 PM
    link?
    http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/03...arly-as-today/

It's also listed on U.S. Cellular's site. But yes, 4.4.2 does have Camera Improvements.
    02-05-2014 02:10 PM

ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    Got another host you can link to?

Or can anyone say what the ISO was before and after? It's an ISO issue that causes the crazy graininess (pictures my GS3 would have the ISO at 300 on the moto X will crank to 1600+).

I also agree with one of the recent posts that you can take 6 indoor pictures and get 6 different results on the X.
    02-05-2014 02:11 PM
    http://www.droid-life.com/2014/02/03...arly-as-today/

It's also listed on T-Mobile's site. But yes, 4.4.2 does have Camera Improvements.
    Thanks.
    02-05-2014 02:12 PM
    Found this that others may find useful. Contains the updated camera apk as well as other apks.

xda-developers - View Single Post - 4.4.2 update.

EDIT:
    These were posted before. Camera will crash if you try to take a picture using that camera on 4.4
    02-05-2014 02:24 PM
    Found this that others may find useful. Contains the updated camera apk as well as other apks.

xda-developers - View Single Post - 4.4.2 update.
    Who wants to go first?
    02-05-2014 02:31 PM
    Who wants to go first?
    These were posted before. Camera will crash if you try to take a picture using that camera on 4.4.
    02-05-2014 02:33 PM
    These were posted before. Camera will crash if you try to take a picture using that camera on 4.4.
    Thanks, I have updated my post with that info. I didn't know that, as I no longer have a moto x.
    02-05-2014 02:35 PM
    First, the Moto X is meant to reverse the trend of the spec wars - and it is not a high end hardware phone. It is a mid-range hardware phone. Second, Motorola has never had good cameras. No one buys a Motorola phone for its camera; you buy it for its radio and you accept that if you want a phone with a better camera, it will come at the price of a worse radio because Motorola's radios are the best.

what is clear to everyone is that it was Google's plan all along to sell Motorola quickly. They wanted the patents, Motorola would not sell the patents without the businesses and so Google had to buy Motorola. But the plan then was to use the patents and Motorola as leverage against Samsung to get a cross licensing agreement and some concessions from Samsung regarding how they clutter up android with their crap software. The minute the ink was dry on that agreement, Google offered up Motorola to Lenovo for sale.

The sale of Motorola by Google had nothing to do with the Moto X's camera or the Moto X for that mater.
    Of course, but the position that "We have decent radios so our cameras can remain subpar." isn't accepted by the general public which may be why the Moto X didn't sell better in the US. The LG G2 has a better camera, good radios, a beautiful screen, and is good and cheap, even off contract. My point is why does Motorola think they can get away with subpar cameras when their competition does not? Because their products are known to have decent radios? I've had a lot of Android phones as of late, few of them Motos (except the Razr and Razr Maxx). The camera just needs to be on par with their competition...not necessarily better than the competition but at least not markedly worse. Just my unique (I guess) perspective.

So consumers are to accept that if they want a Moto phone they should just be satisfied with knowing the camera will not be so good? I guess kind of like how if you want a Samsung phone you have to really be okay with plastic made to look like premium materials. ...and to be fair, if we want apple phones we have to accept 4" max screens?

Okay. I think I get it.

Sent from my Haalcyon iPad Air LTE 
    02-05-2014 02:47 PM
224 ... 45678 ...