02-11-2014 11:51 PM
224 ... 56789
tools
    Of course, but the position that "We have decent radios so our cameras can remain subpar." isn't accepted buy the general public which may be why the Moto X didn't sell better in the US. The LG G2 has a better camera, good radios, a beautiful screen, and is good and cheap, even off contract. My point is why does Motorola think they can get away with subpar cameras when their competition does not? Because their products are known to have decent radios? I've had a lot of Android phones as of late, few of them Motos (except the Razr and Razr Maxx). The camera just needs to be on par with their competition...not necessarily better than the competition but at least not markedly worse. Just my unique (I guess) perspective.

So consumers are to accept that if they want a Moto phone they should just be satisfied with knowing the camera will not be so good? I guess kind of like how if you want a Samsung phone you have to really be okay with plastic made to look like premium materials. ...and to be fair, if we want apple phones we have to accept 4" max screens?

Okay. I think I get it.

Sent from my Haalcyon iPad Air LTE 
    The HTC One and G2 have good cameras. They're not exactly matching the GS4 and iPhone 5c/5s sale for sale though.
    02-05-2014 02:03 PM
    Of course, but the position that "We have decent radios so our cameras can remain subpar." isn't accepted buy the general public which may be why the Moto X didn't sell better in the US.
    While I would like a better camera on the Moto X and agree with you that the general public does, too and that the subpar camera had something to do with the poor sales of the Moto X, it had nothing to do with the sale of Motorola to Lenovo.

why does Motorola think they can get away with subpar cameras when their competition does not?
    I don't think they think that. I think they just haven't prioritized the camera. I agree with you that that is a problem for the sales of the Moto X. However, it has nothing to do with the sale of Motorola to Lenovo.
    02-05-2014 03:29 PM
    While I would like a better camera on the Moto X and agree with you that the general public does, too and that the subpar camera had something to do with the poor sales of the Moto X, it had nothing to do with the sale of Motorola to Lenovo.

I don't think they think that. I think they just haven't prioritized the camera. I agree with you that that is a problem for the sales of the Moto X. However, it has nothing to do with the sale of Motorola to Lenovo.
    I was ignorant it, really, I hadn't taken the time to research the economics of why Google bought and sold Moto. Back when Moto was making pagers and StarTac phones they were the best in my mind.

Sent from my liberated iPad Air LTE 
    02-05-2014 06:34 PM
    Back when Moto was making pagers and StarTac phones they were the best in my mind.
    See they are the best at making that kind of stuff - because it is all about the radios. But they have to step up their game with the cameras or they are not going to get much market share.

Let's hope Lenovo will prioritize the camera more in the Moto X3.
    02-05-2014 07:31 PM
    In my old phone (HTC One S), I very rarely use Flash because of the over exposure. But, my HTC One S was able to take much better low light photos even without Flash.

With my Moto X, I see while using flash, I am able to take very decent photos. I think I will not mind using the flash when needed.

Though not an expert, I feel the high ISO setting is what make the low light pictures make it very grainy and unusable. What camera app (preferabbly free) can I use to adjust the ISO settings?
    02-06-2014 05:36 AM
    What camera app (preferabbly free) can I use to adjust the ISO settings?
    Check out the camera thread on the Moto X forum here at AC.
    prasathvishnu likes this.
    02-06-2014 10:28 AM
    I wouldn't say the camera is bad. I would say the camera software takes bad shots indoors most of the time. It's more of a software issue imho.

Sent from my XT1056 using AC Forums mobile app
    02-06-2014 10:29 AM
    Well I forced the update to 4.4.2 this morning and didn't see any noticeable improvement with the indoor picture quality. I'm going to be returning the device to Motorola and sticking with my Nexus 5. Thanks to everyone on this thread for trying to find workarounds. Here's to hoping the Moto X2 has a significantly improved camera b/c I really did love everything else about the device (especially the ergonomics and feel in hand)!
    02-06-2014 02:24 PM
    Well I forced the update to 4.4.2 this morning and didn't see any noticeable improvement with the indoor picture quality. I'm going to be returning the device to Motorola and sticking with my Nexus 5. Thanks to everyone on this thread for trying to find workarounds. Here's to hoping the Moto X2 has a significantly improved camera b/c I really did love everything else about the device (especially the ergonomics and feel in hand)!
    I would update the camera app, too.
    02-06-2014 02:27 PM
    I would update the camera app, too.
    I don't see any camera update in the Play Store. Is there another way to update it?
    02-06-2014 02:28 PM
    I don't see any camera update in the Play Store. Is there another way to update it?
    no, that is how it is updated. It is the Motorola Camera app. If you are up to date, then you are up to date.
    02-06-2014 02:42 PM
    no, that is how it is updated. It is the Motorola Camera app. If you are up to date, then you are up to date.
    The camera app that comes with 4.4.2 is actually newer than the one in the Play Store.
    02-06-2014 02:43 PM
    Well, that sucks.
    02-06-2014 04:27 PM
    So upon further review I may have been wrong. When I got home tonight I did some more testing with the 4.4.2 update and the low light camera performance seems to be VASTLY improved. I'm still playing around but early tests have been very encouraging. Motorola had already provided me with a return label but I'm going to give it a few more days before I make a decision!

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    Ry and huntnyc like this.
    02-06-2014 09:41 PM
    So upon further review I may have been wrong. When I got home tonight I did some more testing with the 4.4.2 update and the low light camera performance seems to be VASTLY improved. I'm still playing around but early tests have been very encouraging. Motorola had already provided me with a return label but I'm going to give it a few more days before I make a decision!

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    Very interested in your review of the differences pre-post update. I'm still on 4.4 so haven't gotten a chance to use the newest version yet, but I am on the 1st KK version.
    02-06-2014 09:59 PM
    yay!!!!!!! Can't wait for the update!!!!
    02-06-2014 10:09 PM
    yay!!!!!!! Can't wait for the update!!!!
    Don't you have the unlocked version?
    02-06-2014 10:22 PM
    Don't you have the unlocked version?
    Verizon Dev Ed. Unlocked bootloader.

The Verizon Moto X's are GSM SIM unlocked, too, but our updates have to come through Verizon because of the CDMA radios.

I also have a Verizon wood backed Moto X.
    02-06-2014 10:24 PM
    You can check my sample photos from N5 vs Moto X here (both on 4.4.2 and HDR is ON) From my testing Moto X images are always blurry compared to sharp picture that N5 takes.

Moto X vs N5 photos anyone? - Page 3 - xda-developers
    02-07-2014 10:50 AM
    From my testing Moto X images are always blurry compared to sharp picture that N5 takes.
    What do you think causes this? Bad focusing software?

Which is the more true to life red? The N5?

What about pictures of motion? The poster on XDA above your posts seemed to think the N5 had problems with that due to the shutter speed?
    02-07-2014 11:01 AM
    N5 camera have image stabilization which really help. On the Moto X I have to keep the phone more still while shooting than some other phones. I could be wrong since the Moto X camera do have fast shutter speed, but I'm not impressed with some of the distance details.
    02-07-2014 11:11 AM

Which is the more true to life red? The N5?

What about pictures of motion? The poster on XDA above your posts seemed to think the N5 had problems with that due to the shutter speed?
    Have no idea why its not sharp. I doubt they will make it better....maybe a better app, but not a better camera. (camera app and camera firmware are different things by the way thats why you need OTA for some camera fixes etc.)

I think N5 has better and more accurate colors in general and sharper picture
    02-07-2014 11:36 AM
    This may sound simple but my only complaint is that the lens gets dirty with smudges too easily and makes pictures come out blurry. I have had this happen, wiped the lens clean and then taken the same shot again and it came out fine. Now I clean it before shots and am fine with the results most of the time. Not the best camera phone available but the overall experience is the best I've had in a smartphone yet and I've had about a dozen since 2009.

Go android!!
    02-07-2014 11:39 AM
    This may sound simple but my only complaint is that the lens gets dirty with smudges too easily and makes pictures come out blurry. I have had this happen, wiped the lens clean and then taken the same shot again and it came out fine. Now I clean it before shots and am fine with the results most of the time.
    I always clean the lens on my phone before taking a photo. Seems like, well, like common sense but not necessarily. A dirty lens dramatically impacts image quality...IME.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64
    02-07-2014 11:44 AM
    Yeah i cleaned lens on both....

Its a first time I have 2 phone at the same time and I can pick either one for myself, and I admit its not easy......they both feel about the same quality to me, and they both fit fine in my hand, they both run same stock Android. N5 has better camera and dev support, Moto X has better speaker and some useful Motorola apps, but ZERO dev support......
    02-07-2014 11:57 AM
224 ... 56789