Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to control the white balance? Or are you moving the focus/exposure circle around and as you do this the phone is adjusting the white balance?

No, and yes. The white balance and focus are controlled by the focus/exposure circle.

I don't see any way to do it manually unless I'm very seriously missing something (which I accept is very possible).

There are 5 controls. It's a very simple UI, I'll give it that...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X is a great phone, but like most phones its a compromise. Apparently, camera/photo quality was not of paramount importance to Googorola at the time.

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 

I just realized I won't be able to say Googorola anymore. Now I'm gonna have to say...wait...wait for it.... Lenovorola.

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 

BrewinginCO

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
No, and yes. The white balance and focus are controlled by the focus/exposure circle.

I don't see any way to do it manually unless I'm very seriously missing something (which I accept is very possible).

There are 5 controls. It's a very simple UI, I'll give it that...

That's what I see on mine, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Based on my own experience and shots posted here, the Moto X is good enough and far from an "absolute" joke.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Very true, here is an outside shoot HDR off moving subjects. And then second is indoors, I often get a cloudiness on indoor shots but not smudginess like the xmas tree shot in this thread. Maybe overexposure??

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

Hate to get off topic but your dog looks just like my dog! Do you know the breed(s)? I got mine at a shelter in 05 after hurricane Katrina and was told Black Lab/Border Collie mix at the time but I've never been real sure. (Mine is all black though)

And to stick more to the topic, indoor shots do leave much to be desired. For any photos that I care turn out really good I use my DSLR.

Last edited:

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hate to get off topic but your dog looks just like my dog! Do you know the breed(s)? I got mine at a shelter in 05 after hurricane Katrina and was told Black Lab/Border Collie mix at the time but I've never been real sure. (Mine is all black though)

And to stick more to the topic, indoor shots do leave much to be desired. For any photos that I care turn out really good I use my DSLR.

Ha, yes I thought the dog was was lab border collie too but many people have said they think he is a newfoundland. I don't think he's big enough to be pure newffie, he's a great dog!!

Here is an example of what I consider a good shot (keep in mind I'm red green color blind).

And then another bad cloudy one.

Again I just use the "carpet bombing" theory, take a bunch to get a few gems.

PS. Photos crisper when you click on them vs. viewing in thread.

Attachments

• 1391552149177.jpg
    1391552149177.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 1391552199162.jpg
    1391552199162.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 40

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Let me just summarize my experience coming from a lumia 920 and 1020. The first week or two with the moto x camera were like "oh $hit this camera stinks!" But like anything else you begin to learn what the camera likes and doesn't, which is another reason to get out there and take plenty of photos. I've learned that this camera hates any backlight and also low light indoors so I don't attempt those.

Recently I've been experimenting with indoor pics with flash and although I get red eye a lot I also get some good color and sometimes get that gem pic that makes it worthwhile.

Experiment and learn, there is always the delete button people, come on!!

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Based on my own experience and shots posted here, the Moto X is good enough and far from an "absolute" joke.

I have to agree, I did not buy the X for the camera. If I wanted to have a good camera phone I would have stuck with my G Pro! That had a good camera!

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
You really shouldn't have to "experiment". You should just have to take a picture and be able to count on most of them being at least adequate to good. That is not the case with the Moto X and is why I returned mine. The pictures posted by others in this thread were consistent with my experience.

Let me just summarize my experience coming from a lumia 920 and 1020. The first week or two with the moto x camera were like "oh $hit this camera stinks!" But like anything else you begin to learn what the camera likes and doesn't, which is another reason to get out there and take plenty of photos. I've learned that this camera hates any backlight and also low light indoors so I don't attempt those.

Recently I've been experimenting with indoor pics with flash and although I get red eye a lot I also get some good color and sometimes get that gem pic that makes it worthwhile.

Experiment and learn, there is always the delete button people, come on!!

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
You really shouldn't have to "experiment". You should just have to take a picture and be able to count on most of them being at least adequate to good. That is not the case with the Moto X and is why I returned mine. The pictures posted by others in this thread were consistent with my experience.

Hope you didn't just return it this week, right before the update that vastly improves indoor / low light shots.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Dude, I still had to learn how to use my 1020 to get good pics on a consistent basis!! You're asking too much, in my opinion, of this phone. Pros outweigh cons is what I am ultimately saying.

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Ha, yes I thought the dog was was lab border collie too but many people have said they think he is a newfoundland. I don't think he's big enough to be pure newffie, he's a great dog!!

Here is an example of what I consider a good shot (keep in mind I'm red green color blind).

And then another bad cloudy one.

Again I just use the "carpet bombing" theory, take a bunch to get a few gems.

PS. Photos crisper when you click on them vs. viewing in thread.

On the cloudy one, I did this to your photo using snapseed's automatic filter.

uploadfromtaptalk1391555443723.jpg

The quality isn't that great, but its due to the size of the file being 48kb. Try editing your original file through snapseed using the automatic filter.

Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Brilliant!!!

When I have time I will cull them out and do post processing. I really enjoy using this phone!!

robjulo

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
That is good to hear. I returned it about six weeks ago. I considered getting it again with Valentines day deal but didn't pull the trigger because I hadn't heard any news on the camera. Is the LCD banding issue still present?

Hope you didn't just return it this week, right before the update that vastly improves indoor / low light shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC