Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke

Mr. Orange 645

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You really shouldn't have to "experiment". You should just have to take a picture and be able to count on most of them being at least adequate to good. That is not the case with the Moto X and is why I returned mine. The pictures posted by others in this thread were consistent with my experience.

I understand what you are saying and your frustration. The camera is not that great out of the box. But to say you shouldn't have to experiment is expecting too much. I have a very nice Nikon DSLR camera, and I have to experiment and take several different shots in different lighting conditions to determine what works best and what just won't work. Even nice "point and shoots"require experimentation a lot of times.

All that said, this camera is capable of decent indoor shots. It actually did better indoors/low light on the original 4.2.2 software, but the newest updates bumps the ISO up to ridiculous levels. But the updates improved color reproduction, focus, sharpness, etc..., so its a trade-off.

My solution: For fast outdoor, ideal lighting shots, I use the stock camera. Love the wrist flick action and the very simple interface. For indoor/low light shots, I use FV-5 camera from the Play Store ($3.95 but worth it). I gives you manual control over the ISO, exposure, WB, and some other settings. If you take your time, you can really get a nice indoor photo. I find dropping the ISO down to 200 or 400 to take out the graininess and bump the exposure up to brighten the photo up a bit works really well.

Rhezick

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
That's what I thought about doing, since my carrier just got the moto x last week and as a result doesn't have the 4.4 update available yet... would something as simple as a play store app solve the problem?

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think what he is referring to is the android 4.4.2 update that improved the nexus 5 camera. No guarantee it improves X camera, we'll have to wait and see.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I think what he is referring to is the android 4.4.2 update that improved the nexus 5 camera. No guarantee it improves X camera, we'll have to wait and see.

No, not basing it on what the update did for the Nexus 5.

Posted via Android Central App

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke

I'll try to post some shots when I get home tonight. But my issue is when the lighting isn't ideal the shots are completely grainy and the colors are muted.
Do you have HDR on? HDR is not meant to be used except in certain situations and not in low light and not with flash. If HDR is on in low lighting you will get exactly what you described.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No, not basing it on what the update did for the Nexus 5.

Then what's the story? I'm not aware of any recent update that included camera improvements. Share the info please!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Then what's the story? I'm not aware of any recent update that included camera improvements. Share the info please!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Most American Moto X's haven't received the update yet. 4.4.2 is available for Canadian and European Moto X's though. I no longer have a Moto X with 4.4. I would share comparison shots if I still did. Just wait for the update to hit the American Moto X's and you'll see. Don't expect it to turn the camera into an iPhone 5S or Lumia 1020 camera, but expect some usable indoor shots where it was just too grainy and overexposed before.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Most American Moto X's haven't received the update yet. 4.4.2 is available for Canadian and European Moto X's though. I no longer have a Moto X with 4.4. I would share comparison shots if I still did. Just wait for the update to hit the American Moto X's and you'll see. Don't expect it to turn the camera into an iPhone 5S or Lumia 1020 camera, but expect some usable indoor shots where it was just too grainy and overexposed before.

Uh. I doubt the camera updates for the Nexus 5 in Android 4.4.2 translate over to Moto Xs running 4.4.2 with Motorola's camera app.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Uh. I doubt the camera updates for the Nexus 5 in Android 4.4.2 translate over to Moto Xs running 4.4.2 with Motorola's camera app.

I didn't say that. Motorola made their own improvements. It has nothing to do with the Nexus 5 camera improvements. I'm speaking from experience, not from speculation.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say that. Motorola made their own improvements. It has nothing to do with the Nexus 5 camera improvements. I'm speaking from experience, not from speculation.

Good deal gtg!! I will report back after update which shouldn't be too long now on my unlocked T-Mobile X.

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Love this phone but to be honest it's hard to get good pictures when indoors. I believe my old Pre did a better job. My original Nexus still does a better job. The fact that you can't adjust the MP size manually gets under my skin.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site