Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
On the moto x you can't change it to take photos or record videos in a lower resolution using the stock camera app.

Why would anyone want to take a lower resolution image (as if the picture quality isn't poor enough as it is!)? You can always reduce the quality after taking it.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Why would anyone want to take a lower resolution image (as if the picture quality isn't poor enough as it is!)? You can always reduce the quality after taking it.

For pictures I agree. The main benefit would be recording video in 720p instead of 1080p, as it would use substantially less space (especially if you only have a 16gb) while still producing good video.

Last edited:

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
On XDA someone posted the camera app version number on 4.4.2 and it was different from what is in the store.

I am fine with the camera and willing to wait, but since the camera isn't baked into the OS, I wouldn't complain if they released the new version sooner than 4.4.2

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Here's a sample indoor shot with 4.4.2. It looks like pretty good lighting in the picture, but really it's pretty dim at my desk. Pictures taken at my desk with 4.4 were more grainy and had almost a hazy look to them. Now they're pretty good.

6jpv.jpg

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Motorola employees have stated that they don't include every change in release notes. It helps them get feedback without placebo reports. Plus, those release notes weren't intended to be made public. They are soak test release notes.

Posted via Android Central App

I will have to disagree with the part in bold, as it is linked under their Help Topics for the moto x. Go to motorola.com click on get help then click on moto x and you will get the page linked below.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/product_page/faqs/p/30,6720,8696/#/how_do_i

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I will have to disagree with the part in bold, as it is linked under their Help Topics for the moto x. Go to motorola.com click on get help then click on moto x and you will get the page linked below.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/product_page/faqs/p/30,6720,8696/#/how_do_i

OK, fine, but those are still release notes for a build that hasn't been released to the public. And the first part of my comment was the more important part. I have never seen an Android manufacturer, even Google, list every change in their update release notes, and Motorola has said that they don't.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola employees have stated that they don't include every change in release notes. It helps them get feedback without placebo reports. Plus, those release notes weren't intended to be made public. They are soak test release notes.

Posted via Android Central App

The notes from a soak test look to be the same when they become official though.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
You guys can keep arguing all you want, but from experience, there are several changes and improvements in 4.4.2 for the Moto X that are not listed in those release notes.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
4.4.2 has new camera firmware that improves the camera a bit and cannot be updated with app. I was also told that it's not a game changer and its somewhat a minor update. We will see. But I have to agree, on 4.4 camera is sh1t

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
The notes from a soak test look to be the same when they become official though.

Correct, and it appears this is past the soak test phase, as the notes say "This Moto X software update is for all T-Mobile USA users." Again, I am not saying they didn't change something with the camera, all I said was I was surprised they wouldn't mention that in the notes. When the moto x was first released it got a lot of bad press regarding its camera - so you would think they would want people to know they are continuing to improve it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
4.4.2 has new camera firmware that improves the camera a bit and cannot be updated with app. I was also told that it's not a game changer and its somewhat a minor update. We will see. But I have to agree, on 4.4 camera is sh1t

link?

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Here's a low light comparison shot between 4.4 (left) and 4.4.2 (right) on the Moto X. This is the last comment I'm going to make about this until updates are released for the American phones. Arguing about it was never my intention.

kbij.jpg

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I know my view of this may seem misguided but I don't understand why, in 2013, Googorola thought it a good idea to release the Moto X with a camera that did not meet or exceed the competition given an environment when it was well known that camera quality is clearly important to most phone-buying consumers. Then, after the world noted the camera's issues they remain largely uncorrected even now. That's the kind of design mistake that will get your company up for sale.

Oh wait....

Sent from my Haalcyon iPad Air LTE 