Moto X: The camera on this phone is an absolute joke

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
So upon further review I may have been wrong. When I got home tonight I did some more testing with the 4.4.2 update and the low light camera performance seems to be VASTLY improved. I'm still playing around but early tests have been very encouraging. Motorola had already provided me with a return label but I'm going to give it a few more days before I make a decision!

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So upon further review I may have been wrong. When I got home tonight I did some more testing with the 4.4.2 update and the low light camera performance seems to be VASTLY improved. I'm still playing around but early tests have been very encouraging. Motorola had already provided me with a return label but I'm going to give it a few more days before I make a decision!

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Very interested in your review of the differences pre-post update. I'm still on 4.4 so haven't gotten a chance to use the newest version yet, but I am on the 1st KK version.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
yay!!!!!!! Can't wait for the update!!!!

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
From my testing Moto X images are always blurry compared to sharp picture that N5 takes.
What do you think causes this? Bad focusing software?

Which is the more true to life red? The N5?

What about pictures of motion? The poster on XDA above your posts seemed to think the N5 had problems with that due to the shutter speed?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
N5 camera have image stabilization which really help. On the Moto X I have to keep the phone more still while shooting than some other phones. I could be wrong since the Moto X camera do have fast shutter speed, but I'm not impressed with some of the distance details.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Which is the more true to life red? The N5?

What about pictures of motion? The poster on XDA above your posts seemed to think the N5 had problems with that due to the shutter speed?

Have no idea why its not sharp. I doubt they will make it better....maybe a better app, but not a better camera. (camera app and camera firmware are different things by the way thats why you need OTA for some camera fixes etc.)

I think N5 has better and more accurate colors in general and sharper picture

raiderep

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
This may sound simple but my only complaint is that the lens gets dirty with smudges too easily and makes pictures come out blurry. I have had this happen, wiped the lens clean and then taken the same shot again and it came out fine. Now I clean it before shots and am fine with the results most of the time. Not the best camera phone available but the overall experience is the best I've had in a smartphone yet and I've had about a dozen since 2009.

Go android!!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This may sound simple but my only complaint is that the lens gets dirty with smudges too easily and makes pictures come out blurry. I have had this happen, wiped the lens clean and then taken the same shot again and it came out fine. Now I clean it before shots and am fine with the results most of the time.

I always clean the lens on my phone before taking a photo. Seems like, well, like common sense but not necessarily. A dirty lens dramatically impacts image quality...IME.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i cleaned lens on both....

Its a first time I have 2 phone at the same time and I can pick either one for myself, and I admit its not easy......they both feel about the same quality to me, and they both fit fine in my hand, they both run same stock Android. N5 has better camera and dev support, Moto X has better speaker and some useful Motorola apps, but ZERO dev support......

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Moto X has better speaker and some useful Motorola apps, but ZERO dev support......

My guess at the time was that it was not intended. Nexus would be Google's vanilla phone for those that tweaking/rooting/romming was the be-all-end-all. Moto X would be the vanilla phone for consumers who don't want to think about all that.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My guess at the time was that it was not intended. Nexus would be Google's vanilla phone for those that tweaking/rooting/romming was the be-all-end-all. Moto X would be the vanilla phone for consumers who don't want to think about all that.

The Moto X was intended, I believe, to be android's iPhone. ...but the iPhone has a nice camera and certainly good radios.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
N5 has better camera and dev support, Moto X has better speaker and some useful Motorola apps, but ZERO dev support......
The useful apps are very useful to me since I actually use my device as a phone. I am on Verizon so I didn't get the option of the N5. If I had, I would have been torn.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
The Moto X was intended, I believe, to be android's iPhone.
Well it was intended to buck the trend of gigantic Androids, which for some iPhone users is a deal breaker. And it was intended to buck the trend of the spec wars on Androids. But I don't think anyone thinks with a subpar camera they ever had a chance to attract many iPhone users.